Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4588136 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10810 on: July 22, 2010, 04:14:33 pm »
Welcome home Chrissi!

Did you have a good vacation?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10811 on: July 22, 2010, 04:41:46 pm »
Welcome home Chrissi!

Did you have a good vacation?

Thank you :).
Yes, it was a wonderful vacation. Wonderfully lazy. The most I did was reading, eating, napping, swimming in the pool and ocean, playing with my kids - rinse and repeat. I did go to see the next village and the weekly market there, but that was about it.
I wanted to share some random thoughts about my holidays anyway. Will do so in the next post.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #10812 on: July 22, 2010, 04:44:20 pm »
Sounds like a perfect lazy vacation!!    :D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10813 on: July 22, 2010, 06:16:09 pm »
Some random thoughts about my vacation in Greece:

* Greece is a beautiful country. It has a special mood to it. For me anyway. I've been to several holiday destinations in southern Europe, and in some ways, they are similar: the climate, the flora, the more relaxed way of life (I LOVE siesta time), and of course we middle and northern Europeans go there for the Mediterranean and the sunshine. But Greece is still my fav of them.
I was fifteen, when I was in Greece for the first time. Staying at a camping ground with a youth group. The camping ground had a supermarket, and during siesta time the shop was closed, the owner was away, but the doors remained open. The owner explained that someone might need a water bottle or whatever and he wouldn't want his customers to go without whatever they needed. He figured people would lay the money on the counter or would come back later to pay. And they did. His system had worked for years.

* My oldest daughter is undoubtedly a teenager (*sigh*). We barely saw her during our vacation. She quickly found a group of friends there. Every day she left after breakfast, said a quick hi in the early afternoon and came back between 10 and 11PM (eleven was her curfew, she's fourteen). I LOVED seeing her having so much fun among her peers. And yes, it reminded me of my own first trip to Greece and the things I discovered there .... I think though that she was more well-behaved than I was back then (*knock-on-wood*)

* I noted how much one's surroundings color one's perception. After 4.5 years on a US based forum, I noticed things I never would have noticed if I weren't familiar with the American way of looking at everything regarding sexuality and nakedness. At the main garden of the resort, we were greeted by the Greek god Poseidon. Of course he was naked and anatomically correct. My thought: I couldn't even post a picture of this statue on BM - but here this statue is regarded as absolutely appropriate for a family destination.
I don't know how many nude statues and illustrations I saw on my previous travels through Greece (plenty!) - but I never gave their nakedness a second thought until now. I just took it for granted.

* The day before we arrived, the teenage group had their 15 minutes of fame, they gave a short play on stage. There were pics of their show printed out, along with a short recap of the play, and exhibited. It was (surprise ;)) about teenage love confusions. The male main character had a GF, but then fell in love with another boy. "I am gay, I am cool!" (it rhymes in German).
Yes, kids, you got that right! :)

* Same goes for a show of the animators: a man can strip down another man to his briefs and they can smootch and kiss each other on stage in a show meant for families. Yes, they can!

* My youngest child learned swimming right on the very first day! :D
He hopped into the pool and swam, just like that.

* The whole resort was wheelchair accessible. No stairs anywhere to be seen at the community facilities. Not: stairs plus a stupidly steep and short ramp, no, there were only ramps, nicely broad and not steep. Good. Some of the apartment houses had stairs to the first floor, others were also completely equipped with ramps. Plus a wheelchair accessible boardwalk down the beach till short of the water line.

* My anyway vague ideas of greek-orthodox priests were pretty narrow minded. I thought of them as serious, earnest men, completely absorbed in their faith. The guys always in the traditional black gowns and with those full beards, ya know?
Well, they may be in black gowns and beards, but they are allowed to marry and raise a family. And I saw a relatively young priest greet a friend with a funny men-handshake, slapping each other on the shoulders, laughing and looking very secular. It broadened my mind. Good.

*You can have a Brokie moment downright anywhere. One day I was sitting on our balcony, reading, when I heard a familiar "baaahhh". A herd of sheep came along a backroad, complete with sheepherder (only one).  :)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10814 on: July 22, 2010, 06:33:52 pm »
Some pics, as random, as my thoughts:

On the first day: my boy swimming, me surprised and happy ;D

The sheep:

There was a severe thunder storm on our first evening. The next day the weather was mixed and the waves too high to go swomming in the ocean. We enojoyed a stroll along an empty beach.

I tried to get into the water anyway. But the waves threw stones against my shins, and damn, that hurt!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10815 on: July 22, 2010, 06:43:29 pm »
Chairs in Louis Quince style, but made completely of plastic and transparent. A strange mixture.

View from the front door of our apartment. The mountains you see in the backdrop are the Olympic Mountains, home of the Greek gods.

View from our balcony:

The pool. Loved it in the mornings, but in the afternoons the water was too warm for my taste. Family loved the warmer tepms though.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10816 on: July 22, 2010, 06:48:26 pm »
A little chapel belonging to the hotel

Can you see the many white tables in the backdrop? The hotel rented out a lawn and their service for weddings on weekends. We saw no less than four weddings! At each of them were hundreds of people.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10817 on: July 22, 2010, 06:54:03 pm »

Market in Leptokaria. Part of the market was tourist-orientated, with t-shirts, leather goods and such. The other part was the "real" market: fruit and vegetables, herbs, chicken, and so on.

Main street

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10818 on: July 22, 2010, 07:00:29 pm »
Hubby and me

The last day. We were picked up at 6:30am, so we got to see the sunrise :).

Two nice pics my daughter took in early morning light

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #10819 on: July 22, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »
Oh, that looks perfect, Chrissi!  What island were you on?  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...