Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4590935 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1940 on: December 28, 2006, 10:45:36 am »
Welcome back, Jeff. 

Just for the record, you omitted "fuming" and "foggy". :)

Thanks, Cowboy! I knew I was forgetting an adjective or two.  ;D

I guess we're the only theater queens here. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1941 on: December 28, 2006, 10:48:29 am »
Wha? I thought Philly was the city of FRiends? Foul and filthy? I thought that was NYC!

It's Brotherly Love (and/or Sisterly Affection), actually--unless you happen to be in a Broadway show about writing the Declaration of Independence.  ;D

No comment about NYC. In November it was cleaner than I remembered it.  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1942 on: December 28, 2006, 01:56:46 pm »
Still no snow in NYC.  Hey, Denverites, quit hoggin' the white stuff!  We could use a little Christmasy-ness over here.  ;)

From Jeff Wrangler
In November it was cleaner than I remembered it.

Well, I guess that's as good as it's going to get, so I'll take that as a compliment.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1943 on: December 28, 2006, 03:50:28 pm »
Well, I guess that's as good as it's going to get, so I'll take that as a compliment.  ;D

OK, how about A LOT cleaner than I remembered it?  ;D

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1944 on: December 29, 2006, 07:22:06 am »
Fridays Top Ten List!

injest  7412
Lucise  5734

Garry_LH  3804
MaineWriter  3763
Front-Ranger  3724
louisev  3160

DavidinHartford  2974
Ellemeno  2846
Pipedream  2479
Fran  2353

Offline David

« Reply #1945 on: December 29, 2006, 08:28:37 am »
Things that make you chuckle...

So yesterday at work,  I'm sitting in food court on my break having lunch.   My coworker (and secret crush)  Nick walks up, pulls a Banana out of his front pocket and sits down next to me.   ROFLOL.   

I said : "HEY HEY!   you shouldn't carry your Banana like that!"  and laughed.

He laughed too and said: "Yeah, I wouldn't want to bump into the wrong person".

I replied: "Then again, it might be the right person".      ::)

"Well I'm not going to bump into (names obviously gay other employee).  Nick says and laughs.

This is where Dave shuts up.  Constantly reminding myself that I'm 40 and this kid is 22 and sees me as just some old guy who is more of a mentor than anything.

But I find it interesting that he is as observant as he is about many of our coworkers.   Yet he seems oblivious about me.    Then again, maybe he has already summed me up.     He is very perceptive.  No doubt he has his questions about me.   But I am well liked by all the other guys and he sees this.    The general acceptance of me by the team no doubt helps my position and I hope to keep it this way.

As much as I would like to be "out" at work, the overall feeling I get is very homophobic.    Which is too bad because we do have quite a few lesbians working there.   The one obviously gay guy there never talks about his orientation.   Perhaps there is a "don't ask- don't tell' policy in this Government branch too?

On a side note.   Last week this really, really pretty girl came thru.   She was mid 20s and could have been a model.    A female TSA Supervisor almost knocked me over trying to get by me.    The next thing I know, there are three TSA girls standing near the exit watching this beautiful girl finish getting her shoes on and redressed.    They were all grinning from ear to ear!     

I was laughing to myself!    I thought that was funny!   It was like watching several construction workers oggling a pretty girl walking by a worksite!     I was kind of envious.    When I see a really Hot guy walk thru, all I can do is try not to break my neck.   LOL.

Although I must confess that I've made a hot guy or two stop and take their belt off before going thru the metal detector just so I could see them lift their shirt and undo their belt.  I see some fantastic abs that way!   He he he.    ;)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1946 on: December 29, 2006, 09:04:48 am »
David,

Interesting, as always. And good for a laugh. But I am interested in numbers. How many people are on your team? From what you wrote, there is you and one other gay guy, plus "quite a few" lesbians (how many?). So that makes how many homosexuals out of how many total? It just seems that you may have some strength in numbers. As for being more out, you're still fairly new at this job. I think that maybe with time, things could evolve. Just my 2 cents.

Frosty here this morning, 18 degrees. The few snowflakes yesterday were just that...a few. The grass is still green.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1947 on: December 29, 2006, 09:15:43 am »
David,

Interesting, as always. And good for a laugh. But I am interested in numbers. How many people are on your team? Leslie

There are about 300 on my team.    And that is out of 43,000 nationwide.

I know statistically that would mean about 30 of us are potentially gay or lesbian.    But not really.  This type of work does not attract gay people.   So the 10% rule of average does not apply.     For example Florists or male hairdressers.  Those proffessions attract more gay people and no doubt have a higher than 10% saturation.

Stereotypical?    Yup.  Incorrect?   nope.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1948 on: December 29, 2006, 11:00:48 am »
300 on the team..that's more than I expected. I was thinking 50 or something. Shows how much I know about the airport security business!

Regarding professions that attract gay people...I wonder, does it have to do with the nature of the work? Or being able to work in an environment that is more tolerant and accepting?

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1949 on: December 29, 2006, 11:36:40 am »
300 on the team..that's more than I expected. I was thinking 50 or something. Shows how much I know about the airport security business!

Regarding professions that attract gay people...I wonder, does it have to do with the nature of the work? Or being able to work in an environment that is more tolerant and accepting?

Leslie

I think it has to do with both.   But in all honesty, a lot of gay guys I know are real snobs when it comes to jobs.    Making the most money possible so they can have all the luxuries in life seems to be the rule.    Have a status job, driving a BMW or Mercedes,  going to the right places on vacations, etc etc.    Drives me crazy.

One guy who wanted to date me was horrified that I bought a PT Cruiser.   When I told him it had the fake wood siding on it he nearly fainted.    What a jerk.    I avoid these guys.   They are easy to spot because the first question they ask is "what do you do for a living?"     I have far more respect for a guy who says he manages a coffee shop than a guy who brags that he is a Commercial Real estate executive and want to see my new Porsche?

My dad told me long ago that there is no shame in doing an honest days work for an honest days pay.    Be it Doctor or Garbage man, they'd love me the same.

And in reality, the TSA are not security guards as some passengers refer us as.   We are Federal Officers.   We are trained in identiying and finding Improvised Explosive Devices and other prohibited items.       I really would be devasted if a plane exploded after taking off front my Airport because we missed a bomb.    We can also snap our fingers and have the State Police come over and drag a passenger downstairs for a few hours of questioning if they give me any flack about the process or joke about a gun or bomb.   Either way, they're going to miss that flight.    I haven't done that yet, but one guy came real close as he kept trying to piss me off with verbal taunts and complaints.

But the work can be tough at times.   Some days you are handling 600-700 heavy suitecases that shift.    Or some people don't like being on their feet all day.    Crabby passengers don't help.   Nor does it help when the lines are long and you don't get your lunch break until 4pm.      And those long lines are because the airlines book too many departures at the same time.    Well that and people are still bringing stupid stuff with them that require bag checks.     

We get alot of ex military guys and gals in the TSA.   It must be because of our sexy uniforms!    HA HA HA!