Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4528084 times)

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
Re: The 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1370 on: November 07, 2006, 12:34:21 pm »
 1,000 posts on Saturday!!! Didn't even think I would make it to 150.

Mark
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1371 on: November 07, 2006, 12:36:04 pm »

"At a time of life when most men are prospering, I am reduced to living in Philadelphia."--John Adams, 1776

LOL Jeff!  :laugh:

If I don't have the quotation exactly correct, I'm at least close. I was multitasking last evening, as usual, on line while I had the director's cut of 1776 on TCM.

Yes, there is a director's cut of 1776. According to Robert Osborne, an entire production number had been cut because President Richard Milhouse Nixon didn't like it--presumably because it made the conservatives in the Continental Congress (the delegates against Independence)--and by implication the modern-day Republican Party--look bad. The number has now been restored. Yup, hard to believe, when that movie was first released, Nixon was still in the White House and the nation was still in 'Nam.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1372 on: November 07, 2006, 12:39:33 pm »
What kinda stuff on the walls?

The plastic-y stuff...it is not tile or anything *nice* like that. And now he is not happy with it.

Leslie sends up a silent prayer: Dear Lord, give me strength....

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1373 on: November 07, 2006, 12:46:08 pm »
1,000 posts on Saturday!!! Didn't even think I would make it to 150.

Mark

Well Mark - my sincere congratulations.

Keep 'em comin' - your numbers continue to insite me to post more & more frequently than my average would indicate - just to try & stay ahead!
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1374 on: November 07, 2006, 12:47:27 pm »
Thank you kindly, Jeff, for the congrats. About Philadelphia, my kids' school put on a performance of The Philadelphia Story recently and, in order to get people to come, they had to send out an email explaining that The Philadelphia Story was not related to the Tom Hanks' movie Philadelphia. I am living in neanderthal land! So, my foremost priority today is not only getting to the polls to vote for the domestic partnership bill but also to get my like-minded friends to go vote as well. I already encountered someone with the lame excuse "I'd like to vote but I don't know where to go" and it isn't even 9 a.m. yet!!!!!!!!!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1375 on: November 07, 2006, 12:54:54 pm »
The plastic-y stuff...it is not tile or anything *nice* like that. And now he is not happy with it.

Leslie sends up a silent prayer: Dear Lord, give me strength....

L

I guess that's what you'd call what I had installed when I had my bathroom redone last year. I got better things to do with my time than clean tile. ...

Tell you what, why not tell him, by all means, put in the fanciest tile he wants--as long as he cleans it!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline David

« Reply #1376 on: November 07, 2006, 01:04:50 pm »
For those in the US, don't forget....today is the day you get to exercise your constitutional right to VOTE!

So..make a date with the ballot box! No excuses, folks.

Leslie

Today is one of my days off, so I had plenty of time to go vote.   I voted at 11:00 am with all the old people and people with disabilities.   Then it dawned on me that the general population under 65 yrs old are all working at this time of day!   

I was not excited about voting.   The main candidates have been running smear campaignes against eachother on TV.  Plus they leave these long annoying recorded messages on my answering machine.   Don't get me started on the wasteful mailings they send out!   OMG!   I could fill a trash barrel with all the mailings I've rec'd so far.

Then yesterday a radio DJ gave me hope.   He had the same complaints I did.  But then he said that he was excited about voting because he had a new idea!     He said that we should all vote for the people on the ballot that we don't know!      We should vote for the people who haven't annoyed us!!

We already know that the people up for re-election are bums who lie cheat and steal.    So let's just keep voting in new people everytime.   First of all, they may do a better job.  Secondly,   if they all knew they will not get re-elected then they can't get rich and fat on corporate donations.     You know they will always vote themselves raises.  They will never vote to eliminate donations from big business. 

So until we take away the reason they want to be in power , ie: Greed, then we will always be stuck with these turkeys.       Elections are in November for a reason.  It is near Thanksgiving!   And the Turkeys get the axe this month!

So go vote for the unknown candidate!     They can't be any worse than the guy/gal in there now!  And they might just be better!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:58:41 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline David

« Reply #1377 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:14 pm »
Quote from: Jeffwranglerlink=topic=1579.msg110414#msg110414 date=1162916466
"At a time of life when most men are prospering, I am reduced to living in Philadelphia."--John Adams, 1776

LOL Jeff!  :laugh:

Don't forget:  "All things considered,  I'd rather be in Philadelphia." -- W.C.Fields, 1933

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1378 on: November 07, 2006, 01:08:38 pm »
Thank you kindly, Jeff, for the congrats. About Philadelphia, my kids' school put on a performance of The Philadelphia Story recently and, in order to get people to come, they had to send out an email explaining that The Philadelphia Story was not related to the Tom Hanks' movie Philadelphia. I am living in neanderthal land! So, my foremost priority today is not only getting to the polls to vote for the domestic partnership bill but also to get my like-minded friends to go vote as well. I already encountered someone with the lame excuse "I'd like to vote but I don't know where to go" and it isn't even 9 a.m. yet!!!!!!!!!!

My pleasure, ma'am!  :D

The Philadelphia Story: My POV is that there are two essential Katharine Hepburn movies, and two quintessential Katharine Hepburn roles. One is Tracy Lord in The Philadelphia Story and the other is Rose Sayre in The African Queen. No disrespect intended to the films she made with Spencer Tracy (I happen to really enjoy Desk Set), but if I could only ever see two Katharine Hepburn movies, they would be The Philadelphia Story and The African Queen.

From The Philadephia Story:

C.K. Dexter Haven (Cary Grant): Liz, can you use a typewriter?

Liz Embry (Ruth Hussey): No, thanks, I've got one at home.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1379 on: November 07, 2006, 01:19:04 pm »

Don't forget:  "All things considered,  I'd rather be in Philadelphia." -- W.C.Fields, 1933

I'm paraphrasing Groucho Marx:  "And second prize is two  weeks in Philadelphia."