Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595776 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2180 on: January 10, 2007, 05:11:22 pm »
Little planes are freaky ..lol.. 
When there is turbulence .. scary!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2181 on: January 10, 2007, 05:21:05 pm »
Little planes are freaky ..lol.. 
When there is turbulence .. scary!!

Must admit, on that flight from St. Croix to San Juan, I did NOT appreciate having to circle San Juan in a thunderstorm, but it didn't last long.

I've noticed small-plane pilots reading little cards before take-off. I think it might just be the pre-flight check, probably required by the FAA.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2182 on: January 10, 2007, 05:30:21 pm »
I've noticed small-plane pilots reading little cards before take-off. I think it might just be the pre-flight check, probably required by the FAA.

Jeff, yes, I actually know that. :)

But at the time, I irrationally thought, does he know how to fly this plane? He's twelve!

I'm glad you enjoy the Boston to Provincetown jump.  I'll drive, thank you very much.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2183 on: January 10, 2007, 05:37:15 pm »
You guys are cracking me up!

Flying doesn't bother me one whit, never has. I don't remember my very first flight ever, but I remember my first flight alone...I was five, and flying from LaGuardia (NY) to Logan (Boston). I was all dressed up and because I was trying to act so grown up, I had a glass of milk to drink, instead of a soda, and proceeded to spill it all over the businessman next to me. Yes, he was dressed up too...we all dressed up to fly in those days.

Since then I have been on big planes, little planes and every size plane in between. The nicest plane I have ever been on was the 777...I think the plane was 2 months old, brand spanking new, a flight from Chicago to Denver. That was a trip!

I have had the experience of being the only healthcare professional on board when another passenger was thought to be having a heart attack (he wasn't); a flight that got diverted to Dulles because of a bomb scare; and a flight when they thought we would run out of fuel. That last one was a little nerve wracking: it was a cross country flight from San Diego to Newark. The weather was bad in Newark and they were afraid we would have to circle before landing and if we did, we ran the risk of not enough gas. So we made an emergency landing in Kansas City to fill up.

In 1999 I had the dubious honor of achieving Gold Medallion status on Delta...I flew 52,284 miles that year..that is actual flown miles with my butt in the seat. Flying in 2000 was a joy because of that Gold Medallion card...that was pre 9/11 so the security wasn't as onerous as it is now (sorry, David) and the perks were great...upgrades to first class were a cinch (and usually free), preferred seating if I got stuck in coach, always first on the plane, priority handlling for my bags so they were first on the conveyor belt! That was the life.

I am not traveling as much now, but I still end up on 5 to 6 flights a year. This year coming up I have Salt Lake City and Las Vegas as definites; New Orleans as a maybe; probably a trip to DC; and if I can finagle it, I'd like to make a trip to Europe. We'll see. I have been to Europe or some exotic locale annually since 1999...it helps keep me sane in this crazy country of ours. LOL

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #2184 on: January 10, 2007, 06:11:27 pm »
Priority handling for your Bags? ROFLOL!

I see those tags on bags all the time.   Guess what?   They mean nothing!  They all get screened at the same time.   And that is in the order they are rec'd.   

So Davids Travel tip of the day:  If you are checking a bag or bags, definately arrive at the airport 2 hours before your flight!      Sometimes even we can't screen the bags as fast as they get dropped off to us.   Then sometimes the conveyor belt that runs the bags downstairs stops because they don't have enough Airlines Baggage handlers down there.   SouthWest is notorious for that!    I am surprized any SouthWest Airlines bags make it onto the correct planes because the belt is always stopped.

Oooo!   Boeing 777s are nice!   Especially if you can book up to Business Class Elite!  That is what Delta calls First Class.      Seating is 2, 2 and 2 across.  With so much leg room you can stretch your legs straight out and still not reach the seat in front of you!      On my London trip we ate a 5 course dinner complete with wine selection.     

On my last flight, Atlanta to Hartford,  It was an older plane and it made quite the loud noise whenever it turned when taxi-ing out the runway.  As we approached my airport, we suddenly turned east and towards Boston.   We flew quite awhile before turning north and then back west to the airport.    We went way out over the sparcely populated part of Connecticut.     I thought : that is weird.  Then as we landed we were met by a fleet of Fire and Resque trucks!    As we parked the plane was surrounded by firefighters in full gear.    Nice eh?    Now I realize the pilot veared way out like that to dump fuel so we wouldn't skid into the airport in a ball of flames!

But statistically it is still safer to fly than drive.   You run a far greater chance of being killed in a car wreck on the way to the airport.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2185 on: January 10, 2007, 06:16:15 pm »
Priority handling for your Bags? ROFLOL!

You can laugh now, but I am telling you, it did make a difference way back when...in 2000! LOL

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2186 on: January 10, 2007, 07:52:33 pm »
I'm glad you enjoy the Boston to Provincetown jump.  I'll drive, thank you very much.

Till you deal with Logan Airport, it probably takes just as long!  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2187 on: January 10, 2007, 09:02:43 pm »
I'm terrified of flying.  Wanting to get to places hasn't cured me of it either. 

My first plane trip was from Dallas to San Francisco flying Greyhound in the skies - Southwest Airlines.

Everyone assured me that the worst part was taking off and landing.

I replied "great, I'm going to do it 16 times".  Southwest didn't use to fly direct anywhere.

The trip was:
Dallas - Albuquerque - Phoenix - Century City - Oakland
Then
Oakland - Century City - Las Vegas - San Antonio - Dallas.

I was on Xanax.  I was told to take 1 for every 4 hours of flight.  I took 6 that day.  I was wide awake and terrified the entire flight, but once we landed, I was nearly comatose.

In the years since, flying to Canada and Europe and other places I hardly remember the flights themselves because I was doped to the gills.

Don't like flying.  Like that famous writer said of being on a ship (In prison with a chance of drowning), flying is like being in prison with a chance of being ripped to pieces/burned to death or falling 5 miles.   :( :( :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 10:34:48 pm by delalluvia »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2188 on: January 10, 2007, 10:02:14 pm »
When I said, "You guys crack me up" I never meant to minimize anyone's fear of flying.

I realize people have all sorts of fears. For me, I am not too fond of heights, but I have actually figured out some parameters of the fear and I have managed to figure out how I can cope. Dellaluvia gave her example of how she copes with flying. For others, it might mean not getting on a plane at all.

If my humor came across as crass or uncaring, I apologize. That was not my intent.

Hugs, all...

Leslie

Offline Arad-3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • " Save a horse ... ride a cowboy "
« Reply #2189 on: January 10, 2007, 10:45:42 pm »

Don't like flying.  Like that famous writer said of being on a ship (In prison with a chance of drowning), flying is like being in prison with a chance of being ripped to pieces/burned to death or falling 5 miles.   :( :( :(

I'm with you! I am scared to death to fly.   I have booked trips only to cancel at the last moment cause the anxiety I was feeling just wasn't worth it.  I'm scared to death of flipping out 3000 ft up in the sky and making a fool out of my self. And I don't want to be all doped up either cause of a hijacking.  I feel if I mustered up the courage to get to my destination that I wouldn't enjoy myself at all because all I would think about is the flight home. I flew when I was a child but I guess that was before I knew anything about death. :( :(

I seem to get around pretty good by driving, And I know thats alot more dangerous. But at least I can touch the ground when I want to!
" Save a horse... ride a cowboy "