Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595637 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2770 on: February 27, 2007, 04:21:56 pm »
My Aunt used to have a better idea.   When a car load of chatty kids became too unbearable, she'd pass out grapes and tell the kids to have a contest to see who could keep the grape in their mouth the longest without biting it.     LOL.

That one is great...although my kids would tell me they don't like grapes. LOL...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2771 on: February 27, 2007, 04:33:15 pm »
I must admit I get rather annoyed when I'm on an airplane and children start screaming and acting up; especially on long flights. And I LOVE kids. I try to sympathize with them. They are young and probably very bored or frightened.

My parents often told me a story about something that happened when I was 2 years old (around 1964). We were flying back to Indianapolis from West Palm Beach, Florida. I began screaming and carrying on; in fact I was so loud, the pilot actually came out of the cockpit, picked me up and held me. Nothing worked. They assumed I was frightened because we had just flown through some storms and turbulence.

Later, my doctor discovered I had something wrong with my ears, and he lanced my ear drums to relieve the pressure. So, I probably wasn't screaming on the airplane because I was frightened. I was screaming because I was in pain. The pressure and altitude was probably hurting my ears.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2772 on: February 27, 2007, 04:45:09 pm »

Later, my doctor discovered I had something wrong with my ears, and he lanced my ear drums to relieve the pressure. So, I probably wasn't screaming on the airplane because I was frightened. I was screaming because I was in pain. The pressure and altitude was probably hurting my ears.

You poor thing...and incidents like this go on more than anyone realizes. For years, people didn't believe that children experienced pain. I can't tell you how many fillings I got without novacaine because the dentist believe that the risk from the injection was greater than the pain I might experience. And we wonder now why many adults are dentist-phobic?

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2773 on: February 27, 2007, 04:50:57 pm »
You poor thing...and incidents like this go on more than anyone realizes. For years, people didn't believe that children experienced pain. I can't tell you how many fillings I got without novacaine because the dentist believe that the risk from the injection was greater than the pain I might experience. And we wonder now why many adults are dentist-phobic?

Leslie, I had the same experience with many unanesthetized fillings.  Years later as a young adolescent, I needed a little filling.  My dentist looked at the chart, and said, "I see you don't do novocaine."  I said, "I do now, bring it on."

Actually, when little kids scream on a plane, it can help relieve the pressure that builds up behind the eardrum.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2774 on: February 27, 2007, 04:51:29 pm »
Hey, modern travelers, let's not forget that nobody likes a screaming baby or an uncontrolled, misbehaving toddler on a train, either.  ;)

Or, for that matter, that other annoyance of modern travel (not an issue on planes, I guess)--someone speaking LOUDLY on a cell phone. >:(  :P  ;D  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #2775 on: February 27, 2007, 04:57:20 pm »
Thanks Leslie!  :D

I keep forgetting about Wikipedia. I need to start using it more. At least we now know Bettermostians are not the only ones surprised when they see "leet" appear in their  post count.  :)

Bear in mind, though, that a Wikipedia entry is only as good as its source. There was an article about that in The New Yorker a short while ago.

Leet? Only place I know that term from is in the ancient right of the lord a fief to hold "courts baron, courts leet, and view of frankpledge."  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #2776 on: February 27, 2007, 05:55:22 pm »
Sorry for changing the subject a little - but my view about screaming kids on planes is just as well left unaired, as it were. Don't want to offend parents of said type of kids, especially when their poor mites may be screaming due to being frightened or in pain.

What I wanted to know is: The dog in your avatar, David - Cody? Is he yours? How old is he? Golden Retriever? He looks like a real stunner!  :) I'm definitely a dog person.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2777 on: February 27, 2007, 06:09:59 pm »

What I wanted to know is: The dog in your avatar, David - Cody? Is he yours? How old is he? Golden Retriever? He looks like a real stunner!  :) I'm definitely a dog person.

Yes Mikaela, Cody is my dog. And you are correct! He's a Golden Retriever. He just turned 3 years old. :-)

Actually I don't know the EXACT day he was born, because I got him from the animal rescue here in Indianapolis when he was a puppy. I picked him up on June 14, 2004 and they told me he was 4 months old. So, I decided I would celebrate his birthday on Valentine's Day, February 14th! So, he's a Valentine's Dog. It's very unusual to find puppies (especially pure bred puppies) at the rescue, but I have a friend who works there, and he rang me and told me about the Golden Retriever pups! I wish I could have adopted Cody's brother too, but I felt one dog was enough for now.

I'd adopt all the dogs and cats at the rescue if I could.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2778 on: February 27, 2007, 06:30:21 pm »
Leslie, I had the same experience with many unanesthetized fillings.  Years later as a young adolescent, I needed a little filling.  My dentist looked at the chart, and said, "I see you don't do novocaine."  I said, "I do now, bring it on."

Ha ha, I also remember the wisdom teeth story..,"Three words: per co cet."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #2779 on: February 27, 2007, 06:32:45 pm »
Ha ha, I also remember the wisdom teeth story..,"Three words: per co cet."

.... and vi co din.