Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596417 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5460 on: December 13, 2007, 08:37:17 am »
Ha ha ha!

Very true.  Sometimes I do feel like Viktor "The Goat" Navorski.    One these days I'm going to make photocopies of my hand and tape them up all over the Terminal!   

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5461 on: December 13, 2007, 01:28:50 pm »
Looks like California's winter weather is about to hit too - the forecast at last calls for rain after the weekend!  I know I know, it isn't snow... but still....
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

« Reply #5462 on: December 13, 2007, 06:06:30 pm »
Well,  I never made it to work today.      I left my house early in fact, just after it started to snow.     But it was coming down too fast.    The roads quickly filled up as every company let their employees out early and soon the highways were a mess.    Just as I got on the Highway traffic came to a stop.   The radio traffic report said the highway was closed due to a major accident and it would be closed for a while.     They also mentioned that 60-70 flights at my airport were cancelled.     

So my next call was to work.     I told them I was stuck in traffic.  They said, "no problem take your time coming in and drive safe."    I then asked if they were letting people go home early because of the cancellations and bad driving conditions.     Sure enough they were.    So I asked what the point was of me spending hours trying to get there.     The reply was:"turn back and go home" .   LOL

Easier said than done, but I eventually was able to get to an exit and take the side streets home.     It's been snowing about 1.5 - 2.0  inches an hour since it started.     I wouldn't be surprized if we get a foot or more by later tonight.

And this isn't even the Nor Easter we are expecting Saturday Night!

Leslie!    Get the shovels ready!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5463 on: December 13, 2007, 06:12:57 pm »
It started snowing here at about 2 in the afternoon. Light, fluffy snow which seems to be accumulating slowly. Still, it took me an hour to drive home (normally it takes 20 minutes) because the traffic was heavy and none of the streets have been plowed or sanded. My antilock brakes were clicking most every time I stopped.

We were supposed to go out for an event at Hannah's school but as you can imagine, we've decided to stay home...

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #5464 on: December 13, 2007, 06:31:45 pm »
"Did you hear that David did not show up today?"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5465 on: December 13, 2007, 07:24:20 pm »
you get half-points for spending half of the workday on the road, David!

With all that snow action I'm really starting to feel left out! No snow-days for me!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5466 on: December 13, 2007, 07:26:55 pm »
you get half-points for spending half of the workday on the road, David!

With all that snow action I'm really starting to feel left out! No snow-days for me!

Wanna switch places, Louise?  You can come to Alberta and I'll gladly take all the snow-free days you can give me.. ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5467 on: December 13, 2007, 07:37:11 pm »
uh uh uh ...

no ?

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5468 on: December 14, 2007, 01:59:42 am »
"Did you hear that David did not show up today?"

:laugh:

How frustrating to be stuck in traffic for nothing. But better than being stuck at the Airport.

What's the American way of handling such things in regard to employer-employee relationship? Do you have to take a paid vacations day? Or do you get just not paid for the day, or do you get paid normally, as if  you had been at work?

Or can every employer handle this like he wants?

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5469 on: December 14, 2007, 07:42:43 am »
Morning all,

17 degrees here and the snow has stopped. It looks like we got about 4 inches or so. We have a break for two days and now they are predicting a blizzard on Sunday. Ack!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!