Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595656 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5470 on: December 14, 2007, 08:52:23 am »
Fridays Top Ten list

injest  22530
Garry_LH  11245
MaineWriter  9529
dot-matrix  8995
Front-Ranger  8666
Lucise  8067

Ellemeno  7479
David  7444

Sheriff Roland  6430
Jeff Wrangler  5577

Offline David

« Reply #5471 on: December 14, 2007, 08:54:51 am »
OK,  it is almost 8:00 am and there is a foot of snow on the ground and not one snow plow has been by yet.      Good thing I don't have to be anywhere this morning.

Offline David

« Reply #5472 on: December 14, 2007, 08:58:36 am »

:laugh:

How frustrating to be stuck in traffic for nothing. But better than being stuck at the Airport.

What's the American way of handling such things in regard to employer-employee relationship? Do you have to take a paid vacations day? Or do you get just not paid for the day, or do you get paid normally, as if  you had been at work?

Or can every employer handle this like he wants?

It varies from employer to employer.     Most jobs however will tell you to use your leave or sick time so you get paid.   Or you can take the day off without pay if you prefer.     I will use 8 hours of "sick leave" to cover my lost time.

At my previous job, we used to pay everyone on a snow day whether they came in or not.    Of course it was a very small company.

injest

« Reply #5473 on: December 14, 2007, 09:04:14 am »
It seems that smaller companies have less 'official' benefits (actually listed in the employee handbook) but more flexibility. For example my (small business) bosses offered to pay my dental bill if I had to go back to the dentist with my tooth....a large company wouldn't I dont think.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5474 on: December 14, 2007, 09:05:16 am »
OK,  it is almost 8:00 am and there is a foot of snow on the ground and not one snow plow has been by yet.      Good thing I don't have to be anywhere this morning.

Oh, we are in better shape than that! Schools are open, streets are plowed. Everyone is gearing up for the big storm on Sunday, which some are calling a "nor'easter" and others are calling a blizzard. What's the difference? From what I have read, a blizzard would be a subset of a nor'easter, because a blizzard is a snowstorm, while a nor'easter can be snow or rain.

I found this description at answers.com:

A nor'easter is a macro-scale storm whose winds come from the northeast, especially in the coastal areas of the Northeastern United States and Atlantic Canada. More specifically, it describes a low pressure area whose center of rotation is just off the coast and whose leading winds in the left forward quadrant rotate onto land from the northeast. The precipitation pattern is similar to other extratropical storms. They also can cause coastal flooding, coastal erosion and gale force winds.

Whether you want to call it a blizzard or nor'easter, it looks like we are in for some serious weather on Sunday. That means, stock up on provisions tomorrow and be prepared to enjoy a nice quiet day at home!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #5475 on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:52 am »
Only 4" Leslie?  You're lucky. 

We got 10", and in a very short period of time.  Boston was completely overwhelmed like I've never seen it.  Everyone left work at the same time and it was gridlock from about 2-9pm.

It normally takes me about 15 minutes to get home about 4.5 miles.  Yesterday, after two hours , I gave up, parked on a side street and took the subway home. 

Fearing for my car, I retraced my steps on the subway to retrieve my car after dinner, thinking all would be clear.  Big mistake!  It was just as bad and the retrieval took another two hours!!

Some folks were stranded for five hours, and ran out of gas.  Lots of abandoned cars in the middle of roads, which didn't help the situation much. 

Boston had about 1,000 school children stuck in schools until around 9pm, because the buses could not reach them. 

I had to take the subway to work again, because my car is now stuck; but at least it's at home. 

More coming on Sunday! 

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5476 on: December 14, 2007, 10:11:24 am »
We were lucky.

I saw on the news that Boston was totally overwhelmed. Glad you are safe and sound, Paul.

The one good thing about this storm on Sunday....it is Sunday. Which means that people don't have to be out and about and usually have enough sense to stay home and off the road.

Sounds like a good day to hunker down with a few classic movies!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5477 on: December 14, 2007, 10:36:18 am »
It varies from employer to employer.     Most jobs however will tell you to use your leave or sick time so you get paid.   Or you can take the day off without pay if you prefer.     I will use 8 hours of "sick leave" to cover my lost time.

At my previous job, we used to pay everyone on a snow day whether they came in or not.    Of course it was a very small company.

Thanks David and Jess.
I'm a bit astonished that you can use sick leave when you actually have not been sick. But since you put it in quotation marks, I assume it's a thing negotiated between empoyer and employee, not an official right of emplyees in the US.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #5478 on: December 14, 2007, 12:39:32 pm »
Wow, Paul, I had no idea it was that bad in Boston.  What an ordeal you had!  I'm glad your car is safe at home.  Sounds like a good weekend to spend at home with a good book and a nice bottle of Old Rose.  ;)

Good luck on Sunday, Leslie!  We're supposed to get that storm here in NYC, too.  I don't plan to do any traveling either.  :P
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline David

« Reply #5479 on: December 14, 2007, 02:23:19 pm »
Thanks David and Jess.
I'm a bit astonished that you can use sick leave when you actually have not been sick. But since you put it in quotation marks, I assume it's a thing negotiated between empoyer and employee, not an official right of emplyees in the US.

We earn sick and leave time each pay period.    So you can use it as you like.   Although if you develope a pattern of abuse they can ask for a Doctors note.      I'll use my sick time as I have more of it accrued.