Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596165 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7300 on: July 22, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »
I don't think it's as dense as a pudding, and it's sort of molasses-sweet and salty.  It comes with or without raisins.

Leslie ought to make her guests an Indian pudding, too.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7301 on: July 22, 2008, 04:18:17 pm »
This American food thing is complicated. What's molasses?  ???

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7302 on: July 22, 2008, 04:23:45 pm »
Ah, it's a syrup.

Wikepedia:
Molasses or treacle is a thick syrup by-product from the processing of the sugarcane or sugar beet into sugar. (In some parts of the US, molasses also refers to sorghum syrup.) The word molasses comes from the Portuguese word melaço, which comes from mel, the Portuguese word for "honey". The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction.

I never saw this over here. We do have a syrup made from brown sugar, it's probably similar. I like it on pancakes.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7303 on: July 22, 2008, 04:28:49 pm »
Ah, it's a syrup.

Wikepedia:
Molasses or treacle is a thick syrup by-product from the processing of the sugarcane or sugar beet into sugar. (In some parts of the US, molasses also refers to sorghum syrup.) The word molasses comes from the Portuguese word melaço, which comes from mel, the Portuguese word for "honey". The quality of molasses depends on the maturity of the sugar cane or beet, the amount of sugar extracted, and the method of extraction.

I never saw this over here. We do have a syrup made from brown sugar, it's probably similar. I like it on pancakes.

And if you distill molasses, you get ... rum!  :D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7304 on: July 22, 2008, 04:29:43 pm »
I had this every Saturday night as a kid, with hamburg and beans.  Apparently, the B&M stands for Burnham & Morrill Co.:

Yes, Burnham & Morrill, right here in Portland, Maine. You can smell the beans on baking day.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7305 on: July 22, 2008, 04:31:27 pm »
Leslie ought to make her guests an Indian pudding, too.

How about grape-nut pudding? Now there's a New England tradition.

Meanwhile, we are all still mourning the loss of Pilot Crackers here in Maine (I posted a few news articles on this on my news ticker a few weeks ago).

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7306 on: July 22, 2008, 04:35:22 pm »
Ah, it's a syrup.

Wikepedia:

Molasses is quite strong tasting. You wouldn't want it on pancakes.

Here's a bit of New England history:

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days the area still smells of molasses.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7307 on: July 22, 2008, 04:44:21 pm »
Molasses is quite strong tasting. You wouldn't want it on pancakes.

Here's a bit of New England history:

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days the area still smells of molasses.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

People were KILLED by a tsunami of molasses?!!  I find that hard to believe but if it's true what an embarrassing way to die!

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7308 on: July 22, 2008, 04:51:12 pm »
From the plaque at the site:

"On January 15, 1919, a molasses tank at 529 Commercial Street exploded under pressure, killing 21 people. A 40-foot wave of molasses buckled the elevated railroad tracks, crushed buildings and inundated the neighborhood. Structural defect in the tank combined with unseasonably warm temperatures contributed to the disaster."

Offline oilgun

« Reply #7309 on: July 22, 2008, 04:55:18 pm »
From the plaque at the site:

"On January 15, 1919, a molasses tank at 529 Commercial Street exploded under pressure, killing 21 people. A 40-foot wave of molasses buckled the elevated railroad tracks, crushed buildings and inundated the neighborhood. Structural defect in the tank combined with unseasonably warm temperatures contributed to the disaster."

Now I understand,  I thought they were killed by a wave of molasses, lol!