Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595495 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7310 on: July 22, 2008, 04:55:35 pm »
More than you'd ever want to know:

January 15, 2003
Slower than molasses in January

Eighty-three years ago today, Bostonians were enjoying unseasonably warm weather. The temperature had shot up forty degrees in three days, allowing lunching workers near North End Park to doff their jackets. Little did they know that they were about to be swept up in American history's most laughable urban disaster. An huge industrial tank was about to explode, sending a "roaring wall of death" down Commonwealth Avenue [edit:  actually Commercial Street] with a "a horrible, hissing, sucking sound." January 15, 1919, was the day of a "wet, brown hell" was unleashed, the day of the Great Boston Molasses Flood. It sounds like an urban legend, but contemporary reports make it clear that it was no joke. The tank held almost two and a half million gallons of molasses, roughly fourteen thousand tons. When it ruptured, molasses sprayed out with a pressure of several thousand pounds per square inch at an estimated speed of 35 miles per hour and leveled several city blocks.

Amazingly enough, the Boston Molasses Flood was not the only molasses flood of the twentieth century, not even the only American one. In 1911, a New Orleans tank of molasses burst, sending six hundred thousand gallons streaming down Market Street and thrilling passersby. But where the London Beer Flood of 1814 killed a mere eight people, the Boston Molasses Flood injured 150 and killed 21. And where there are deaths, injuries, a deep-pocketed defendant like the United States Industrial Alcohol Company, and blocks of devestated real estate that smelled like gingerbread, there are lawsuits. Over a hundred were filed. Three thousand witnesses gave testimony over almost a year of hearings. Why did the tank give way? No one today is totally sure; then, as now, plenty of people were willing to assign blame, especially when money is on the line. In those Red Scare days, when a man could be thrown in jail for admiring Lenin, accusing anarchist saboteurs of attempting to destroy a valuable resource must have seemed like a good approach, so the defendants attempted to demonstrate that only a bomb could have destroyed their holding tank.

Molasses has a long and storied history in the Americas; as part of the triangle trade, molasses had helped build the commercial fortunes of New England. It's been a part of Boston's regional cooking for centuries. Despite the fine tradition of molasses in Boston baked beans and Boston brown bread, this molasses was intended for finer things. This molasses was meant for distilling to make industrial ethanol (for military clients; thus the tank's appeal as a target to the notional anarchists) and, of course, rum.

The courts eventually found that the tank had been made too cheaply; it wasn't structurally sound for the amount of molasses it was holding. (The rapid rise in temperature and possible fermentation of the molasses in the tank didn't help.) There was too much molasses in the tank because the owners needed to distill it in a hurry. History was being made on a more national scale in January, 1919. As one account of the disaster puts it, the next day those cleaning the ruins found that

the place stinks, not so much from the molasses as from the rotting horse flesh all around. At one point the workers pause, puzzled by the sudden ringing of church bells in downtown Boston. We find out later that it's to celebrate the fact that Nebraska has ratified the 18th Amendment, officially bringing in Prohibition.

Prohibition would catapult organized crime into prominence, raise the homicide rate, and lead thousands to die after drinking poisonous bootleg liquor, but at least one thing went right. For those fourteen years -- and ever since -- Boston has been safe from death by blackstrap.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7311 on: July 22, 2008, 04:59:25 pm »
Molasses is quite strong tasting. You wouldn't want it on pancakes.

Here's a bit of New England history:

The Boston Molasses Disaster, also known as the Great Molasses Flood and the Great Boston Molasses Tragedy, occurred on January 15, 1919, in the North End neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts in the United States. A large molasses tank burst and a wave of molasses rushed through the streets at an estimated 35 mph (56 km/h), killing 21 and injuring 150. The event has entered local folklore, and residents claim that on hot summer days the area still smells of molasses.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Molasses_Flood

I never did like sorghum molasses. It has a slightly bitter undertaste. At least I think it does. Yucky! lol
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7312 on: July 23, 2008, 01:37:09 am »
Now I understand,  I thought they were killed by a wave of molasses, lol!

According to the story, they were.  How intense, I never heard about this before.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7313 on: July 23, 2008, 07:39:07 am »

According to the story, they were.  How intense, I never heard about this before.

The things you learn here at Bettermost!

Morning all...66 degrees and a little foggy at the moment. Our Japanese guests arrived at about 10:45 pm looking a bit dazed and overwhelmed! We got them settled in their beds and I hope they managed to sleep. Today we are off to City Hall for a reception with the mayor and a "light lunch."

Now I get to find out if they like orange juice and Cheerios!

I think because of their arrival, I had a very strange dream. In a nutshell, I was hosting a Brokie get together in Maine. I sort of knew who all the people were, but not really, except for Elle. I was trying to figure out what folks wanted to do for sightseeing and the group was very indecisive but everyone seemed to want to do something different. One guy wanted to go somewhere for the famous crab sandwiches and he actually figured out where this place was and took off. Elle wanted to go to the very very famous Conus Books (pronouced Cone-ew, not Cone-US). Of course, I had never heard of this place. Turns out it is in Waterboro which I explained was about 2 hours from my house. Elle was determined and gathered up a bunch of the other Brokies and took off. Coinicidentally, Conus Books was also the place with the famous crab sandwiches. When the other guy got back, he reported they were very disappointing. To that, Elle replied (hand on hip and very indignant), "Well, I am going to Conus for books, not crab!"

And then I woke up.

Any dream interpreters out there?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #7314 on: July 23, 2008, 08:38:35 am »
I think it means your guests will want sushi, not Cheerios. :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7315 on: July 23, 2008, 08:54:33 am »
I think because of their arrival, I had a very strange dream. In a nutshell, I was hosting a Brokie get together in Maine. I sort of knew who all the people were, but not really, except for Elle. I was trying to figure out what folks wanted to do for sightseeing and the group was very indecisive but everyone seemed to want to do something different. One guy wanted to go somewhere for the famous crab sandwiches and he actually figured out where this place was and took off. Elle wanted to go to the very very famous Conus Books (pronouced Cone-ew, not Cone-US). Of course, I had never heard of this place. Turns out it is in Waterboro which I explained was about 2 hours from my house. Elle was determined and gathered up a bunch of the other Brokies and took off. Coinicidentally, Conus Books was also the place with the famous crab sandwiches. When the other guy got back, he reported they were very disappointing. To that, Elle replied (hand on hip and very indignant), "Well, I am going to Conus for books, not crab!"

And then I woke up.

L

I think it means you need to host a Brokie gathering in Maine. I've never been to Maine.  8)

Did anybody want a lobster roll?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7316 on: July 23, 2008, 09:36:49 am »
I think it means you need to host a Brokie gathering in Maine. I've never been to Maine.  8)

I would easily ignore my commitment to veganism for a lobster roll!   ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7317 on: July 23, 2008, 10:04:12 am »
I would easily ignore my commitment to veganism for a lobster roll!   ;D

In Maine that probably counts as vegan.  ;D

Just like they told me that in Wyoming, chicken counts as vegetarian.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7318 on: July 23, 2008, 12:46:10 pm »

And then I woke up.

L

That I get indignant far too easily?  :)   So is Conus Books a real place, or just in the dream?  And I think Jeff might be right - a Maine Brokie gathering would be great.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7319 on: July 23, 2008, 12:52:53 pm »

Well, no one mentioned lobster rolls but then again, everyone was going in a million different directions. It was sort of like herding cats. LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!