Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595396 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7330 on: July 23, 2008, 02:43:35 pm »
brown bread which isn't bread

Brown bread isn't bread?  ???  The B&M version is kinda cake-like, but, still. ...  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7331 on: July 23, 2008, 03:23:05 pm »
Brown bread isn't bread?  ???  The B&M version is kinda cake-like, but, still. ...  ???

It is what is known as a "quick bread." From Wikipedia:

A quick bread is a type of bread which is leavened with chemical leaveners such as baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, or cream of tartar. Unlike yeast breads which often take hours to rise and can vary greatly based on external factors such as temperature, breads made with chemical leaveners are relatively uniform, reliable, and quick. Many common foods are quick breads including banana bread, cornbread, biscuits, muffins, pancakes, scones, and soda bread. Leslie adds: and brown bread!

The type of bread produced is variable based predominantly on the major flavoring, the method of mixing, and the ratio of liquid in the batter.

There are three basic methods for making quick breads; the quick-bread method, the creaming method, and the biscuit method. These three methods combine the rise of the chemical leavener with advantageous lift from other ingredients.

* The quick-bread method also known as the "Blending Method" calls for measurement of dry and wet ingredients separately, then quickly mixing the two. Often wet ingredients will include beaten eggs which have trapped air for added rise. Usually mixing is done using a tool with a wide head such as a spoon or spatula to prevent the dough from becoming over beaten and deflating the egg's lift.

* The creaming method is frequently used for cake batters. The butter and sugar are creamed, or beaten together, until smooth and fluffy. Eggs and liquid flavoring mixed in, and finally dry and liquid ingredients are added in. The creaming method combines rise gained from air pockets in the creamed butter with the rise from the chemical leaveners. Gentle folding of the final ingredients is important to prevent destroying these pockets.

* The biscuit method is a technique which is used for biscuits, scones, and pie crusts. This method cuts chilled fat (whether lard, butter, or shortening) into dry ingredients using a food processor, pastry blender, or fork. The layering from these process gives rise and adds flakiness as the folds of fat melt during baking.

Aside from mixing methods, quick breads also vary widely in the consistency of their dough or batter. There are three main types of quick bread batter: pour batter, drop batter, and stiff dough. Pour batters have a dry:liquid ratio of 1:1 and is the most moist type of quick bread batter. Drop batters have a dry:liquid ratio of 3:1. Stiff dough, being the stiffest, has a ratio of about 7:1.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #7332 on: July 23, 2008, 03:43:14 pm »
well damn!

I remember when I first got here, and had only a hand full of posts.  I thought it would stay that way.

Now....I'm in the top 25 posters!

:laugh:

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7333 on: July 23, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »
So a "stiff dough" batter would be something like a pie crust or some biscuits, something that needs to be rolled out?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7334 on: July 23, 2008, 03:49:39 pm »
So a "stiff dough" batter would be something like a pie crust or some biscuits, something that needs to be rolled out?

Not pie crust--it wouldn't fall into the quick bread category because it doesn't have a leavening agent. Typically it is just flour, fat (butter, lard) and a little bit of water.

Biscuits, yes.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7335 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:27 pm »
well damn!

I remember when I first got here, and had only a hand full of posts.  I thought it would stay that way.

Now....I'm in the top 25 posters!

:laugh:

Chuck, with all that scribblin' you've been doing down in your cellar, you knew you were going to creep up!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #7336 on: July 23, 2008, 03:51:21 pm »

:o I just noticed it's almost 100 degrees in Childress right now! 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7337 on: July 23, 2008, 03:55:24 pm »
Not pie crust--it wouldn't fall into the quick bread category because it doesn't have a leavening agent. Typically it is just flour, fat (butter, lard) and a little bit of water.

Biscuits, yes.

L

The paragraph on the biscuit method mentions pie crust, though.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7338 on: July 23, 2008, 04:19:38 pm »
The paragraph on the biscuit method mentions pie crust, though.

Well yes it does (you read it more carefully than me!). I wouldn't classify a pie crust as a quick bread but what do I know? I am just an amateur foodie, not a pro...LOL

L

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7339 on: July 23, 2008, 04:39:17 pm »
that video is great!!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/