Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595712 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8240 on: September 24, 2008, 04:08:25 pm »
I just googled 'patties' and apparently they're some kind of pastry. I'm guessing that a sausag pattie is a pastry roll with a sausage in it?

So you would have that with french toast? Or would the french toast be like a kind of 'dessert' after the hearty pattie?

No, no, no...

In the US, you can buy sausage in lots of different forms. One of them is "bulk" sausage which is sold in a cylinder shape encased in a plastic cover (sorry for sounding so illiterate...I am really struggling with finding ordinary English words!). A very popular brand is made by Jimmy Dean. Anyway, you slice the sausage into little rounds (the patties). The cover/casing even has dotted lines to help you out with where to slice them! You pan fry the patties and serve with the French toast.

Sausage links are also popular but I like the patties, myself.

I just looked at the Jimmy Dean website. They call it "roll sausage." Who knew? I learned something new today!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8241 on: September 24, 2008, 04:09:51 pm »
Wow!  Now that's amazing, because I had French toast last night for dinner too!   :o :o

I made it with Challah bread.  Yummmmmmmmmm!!!

Yes, Challah makes GREAT French toast....

The bread that Chrissi bought was good, too. Just an ordinary white bread in a loaf shape but it had a nice texture and soaked up the egg mixture very nicely.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8242 on: September 24, 2008, 04:10:15 pm »
You and you american's and your weird breakfasts... you're all just so cooky!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8243 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:55 pm »

Hahaha....I've never been to Scotland but in England and Ireland I would be served the following for breakfast (every day):

Eggs, various kinds of sausage, bacon, cooked tomatoes, cooked mushrooms, toast, croissants, muffins, jam, jelly, butter, coffee and juice.

And you call us COOKY? LOL

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8244 on: September 24, 2008, 04:14:11 pm »

Nothing like a good English fry-up, eh?  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8245 on: September 24, 2008, 04:17:25 pm »
No, no, no...

In the US, you can buy sausage in lots of different forms. One of them is "bulk" sausage which is sold in a cylinder shape encased in a plastic cover (sorry for sounding so illiterate...I am really struggling with finding ordinary English words!). A very popular brand is made by Jimmy Dean. Anyway, you slice the sausage into little rounds (the patties). The cover/casing even has dotted lines to help you out with where to slice them! You pan fry the patties and serve with the French toast.

Sausage links are also popular but I like the patties, myself.

I just looked at the Jimmy Dean website. They call it "roll sausage." Who knew? I learned something new today!

At farmers' markets and butcher shops around here (Pennsylvania), you can often buy sausage meat that isn't encased in anything--they will have large pans of ground and seasoned sausage meat in the refrigerated cabinet. You can buy it by the pound and make your own patties out of it.

I'm partial to sage sausage myself.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8246 on: September 24, 2008, 04:19:53 pm »
I wanted to make fruit salad and sausage patties to go with the French toast and give her the real American experience. However, Chrissi told me that no one (except me) would eat fruit salad and apparently, something like Jimmy Dean's sausage is unheard of here. So, all we had was French toast but I was able to persuade Chrissi to buy a bottle of maple syrup to go with it!

L

Of course! You're in the homeland of the wurst!  :laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8247 on: September 24, 2008, 04:23:57 pm »
Hahaha....I've never been to Scotland but in England and Ireland I would be served the following for breakfast (every day):

Eggs, various kinds of sausage, bacon, cooked tomatoes, cooked mushrooms, toast, croissants, muffins, jam, jelly, butter, coffee and juice.

And you call us COOKY? LOL

;D

Now - I''m a veggie - but the best sausage is the scottish square sausage -  yum! and fruit pudding is lovely too...

The croissants and muffins are definitely an add on to please different tastes - its certainly not a staple food for breakfast - particularly the muffins..

It amazed me in the US how donuts were seen as breakfast food.. with lots of icing and all sorts of stuff on them....
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8248 on: September 24, 2008, 04:28:28 pm »
Of course! You're in the homeland of the wurst!  :laugh:

That's why I thought I'd be able to find some link sausage or something, but the notion of "breakfast sausage" seems to be American (from what I can tell). Looking at the butcher case at the "Activ Markt" I did see wurst and its brethren, but nothing that resembled a "Jones Farm" link. LOL

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8249 on: September 24, 2008, 04:30:09 pm »
;D

Now - I''m a veggie - but the best sausage is the scottish square sausage -  yum! and fruit pudding is lovely too...

The croissants and muffins are definitely an add on to please different tastes - its certainly not a staple food for breakfast - particularly the muffins..

Yes...I suppose traditional in England is COLD toast, right? LOL

It amazed me in the US how donuts were seen as breakfast food.. with lots of icing and all sorts of stuff on them....

I know....ewww...makes my teeth hurt thinking about them but I can't really say anything since my daughter is a fan of Dunkin' Donuts strawberry frosteds!