Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596551 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8280 on: September 27, 2008, 12:12:33 am »
heh.. typing is not my foRte!!

Oh no, I just thought maybe it was your keyboard, since it was the same letter every time.  Best, best, BEST wishes in your band competition this weekend!  :-*

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8281 on: September 27, 2008, 12:16:09 am »
Thanks Chrissi and Jeff, it's surprising me how many ways our lives were intertwined with dog care.  I went to deal with the dishwasher, and as always, thought, "Have to remember to close it when I'm done, so Puppy-Meno can get to her food."  Oh right, Puppy-Meno isn't here anymore.  :(  We're sad.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8282 on: September 27, 2008, 12:31:48 am »

I learned Rummy 500. Leslie said it's also called 'Summercamp Rummy' because it's often played in summer camps, since it's an easy version of Rummy. It's lots of fun.

What is Rummy 500? Is that the game you play with the tiles? I remember playing a Rummy game back in the 80s and you used tiles and racks. I forget the full name of it. :)

{{{{CLARISSA}}}} I'm so sorry to hear about Puppy-Meno!! :'(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8283 on: September 27, 2008, 12:34:31 am »
I hope Leslie and Hannah made it back safely. They should be back home now shouldn't they? They're probably suffering from jet lag. I remember Leslie telling us about her jet lag on the way over there.

It's amazing how much a six hour time difference can affect you. :P

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8284 on: September 27, 2008, 12:58:17 am »
What is Rummy 500? Is that the game you play with the tiles? I remember playing a Rummy game back in the 80s and you used tiles and racks. I forget the full name of it. :)

{{{{CLARISSA}}}} I'm so sorry to hear about Puppy-Meno!! :'(

Rummy 500 is a fun card game.  I haven't played that for years!  LOL, I'm so bad about remembering card game rules... people are always having to remind me of the rules whenever a game is started (even if it's a game I've played many times before).

And, yes, Elle, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss.   :-* :'(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8285 on: September 27, 2008, 01:16:05 am »
Rummy 500 is a fun card game.  I haven't played that for years!  LOL, I'm so bad about remembering card game rules... people are always having to remind me of the rules whenever a game is started (even if it's a game I've played many times before).

And, yes, Elle, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss.   :-* :'(

I'm terrible with card games too Amanda. People get so frustrated with me. Most of the time they don't want me to play because I keep asking questions! :laugh:

I wonder what that tile game is called? It had the word "rummy" in it. I'm going to see if I can google it. :D

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8286 on: September 27, 2008, 02:27:31 am »
I wonder what that tile game is called? It had the word "rummy" in it. I'm going to see if I can google it. :D

It's Rummycub.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8287 on: September 27, 2008, 04:11:39 am »
It's Rummycub.

Yup! That's exactly what it was Chrissi! That was a really fun game. :D

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8288 on: September 27, 2008, 07:45:58 am »
Hey everyone,

Hello, hello, here I am, back in the US, sitting at my kitchen table and looking at my backyard--which is still very green with no foliage change on the leaves of the trees. 61 degrees and yes, I was out in the outdoor shower this morning!! It felt good after three weeks of showering INDOORS. LOL

The trip home was fine although it seemed very, very long. Hannah and I were in the middle two seats of the middle four, which always feels confining. It was an 8 hour flight and at the end, we had to circle for another 40 minutes or so since there was terrible rain and congestion at Logan airport. My husband was waiting for us (yay!) but the drive home was long and slow since we were having torrential downpours of rain. We finally got home at about 6:45 pm which meant that we had been traveling for more than 16 hours (from the time we left Chrissi's). I managed to stay awake for the first 20 minutes of the debate and then fell into bed at 9:25 pm. I think I was asleep the minute my head hit the pillow.

Thank you again to Chrissi and Fabienne for your wonderful hospitality!! I had a great time and Hannah did too (on her German leg of the trip). It was so much fun just being with people and living day-to-day (even if we did do alot of sightseeing). I think we have much more of a feel of what it is like to live in Germany or Belgium or Switzerland. Even in my 2 weeks of touring Norway, I didn't feel quite as "home" as I do/did after this trip.

As for rummy, I found this version of the rules, although the way I play it (after years and years of summer camp) we have a few variations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/500_Rum

Our variations: 1) we only deal 7 cards, not 10; 2) Aces are 15 points when played high; 5 points when played low; and we do play "ace around the corner"; 3) Face cards and 9's are 10 points; 2 to 8 are 5 points.

I think that is it for right now...

Hugs to all,

Leslie

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #8289 on: September 27, 2008, 11:21:28 am »
Hey Leslie, thanks for checking in here and your email.
16 hours, what a long and exhausting trip.

Back at your home office :)