Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595360 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: A Real-Life Jack Twist
« Reply #9980 on: June 07, 2009, 10:14:09 am »
So has anybody else seen the latest real-life Jack Twist?

His name is Neal Wanless, he's a 23-year-old ranch kid from a kind of hardscrabble ranch in South Dakota. And he won the Powerball drawing. I saw him on the evening news on Saturday: Big black cowboy hat (almost looked too big for him), great big belt buckle (couldn't tell if it's a rodeo buckle), big, slightly goofy grin. Between the hat and the buckle, the first thing I thought was, "Jack!"

Cute boy. Seems like a real nice kid.  :)

http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #9981 on: June 07, 2009, 11:30:35 am »
So has anybody else seen the latest real-life Jack Twist?

His name is Neal Wanless, he's a 23-year-old ranch kid from a kind of hardscrabble ranch in South Dakota. And he won the Powerball drawing. I saw him on the evening news on Saturday: Big black cowboy hat (almost looked too big for him), great big belt buckle (couldn't tell if it's a rodeo buckle), big, slightly goofy grin. Between the hat and the buckle, the first thing I thought was, "Jack!"

Cute boy. Seems like a real nice kid.  :)

Now that you mention it, he does remind me of Jack.  Bet he'd have lots of volunteers for the job of Ennis to his Jack.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9982 on: June 07, 2009, 12:11:03 pm »
Now that you mention it, he does remind me of Jack.  Bet he'd have lots of volunteers for the job of Ennis to his Jack.  ;D

hehe!

I went to the Future Farmers of America convention one year. Thought I'd die of happiness!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9983 on: June 07, 2009, 01:37:17 pm »

wow...that IS a big hat.

I love the JT connection. Someone should tell him.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #9984 on: June 07, 2009, 01:39:01 pm »
hehe!

I went to the Future Farmers of America convention one year. Thought I'd die of happiness!

Exactly what do you do at a Future Farmers of America convention, Lee? Except for checking out future farmers that is.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9985 on: June 07, 2009, 08:52:39 pm »
Exactly what do you do at a Future Farmers of America convention, Lee? Except for checking out future farmers that is.

I was wondering that, too. What was FRiend Lee doing at an FFA convention?  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9986 on: June 07, 2009, 08:56:20 pm »

Wrangler raises hand. ...  ;D

Lord, I'm such a dirty old man. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9987 on: June 07, 2009, 09:05:51 pm »
I was there on official business! I was in charge of a booth about renewable energy. Me, talking to hundreds and hundreds of 19-year-olds about renewable energy, can you dig it??!! Enniway, here are a couple of stories. I was walking thru the crowd in my usual big-city way, and amazingly, this crowd of young people parted to let me by. No elbowing, no jostling, nothing. They just stepped back as I passed. See, these young men (which 99.9% of them are) are taught to be POLITE, and taught to be RESPECTFUL! It bowled me over.

'nother story. I happened to be one of the only people in the convention hall with computers that had live connections to the Internet (this was in the early 1990s). So, a young man in a cowboy hat larger than his head came by and right away noticed this. All of a sudden, we were best friends! It turns out that he needed to email his final exam in AI to his professor back home. Gracious person that I am, I let him comandeer my computer for that purpose. I had a high time reading the Qs and As of the AI test, as well as the answers to the essay questions (BTW, AI means artificial insemination).
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9988 on: June 08, 2009, 08:41:37 am »
Additional bit on Neal Wanless: This morning the Today show did a piece on him and his win--which featured a long, sweeping camera shot that started at his well-worn boots and s-l-o-w-l-y traveled all the way up his body to his hat. Anyway, he might remind me of Jack, but on the family ranch he lives in an old travel trailer--just as I interpret Ennis's residence in the prologue to the short story.

The Today reporter made a point of relaying the news that he's single. With the win, I guess he's now well equipped to expand the family cow and calf operation.  :)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9989 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:34 am »
I was there on official business! I was in charge of a booth about renewable energy. Me, talking to hundreds and hundreds of 19-year-olds about renewable energy, can you dig it??!! Enniway, here are a couple of stories. I was walking thru the crowd in my usual big-city way, and amazingly, this crowd of young people parted to let me by. No elbowing, no jostling, nothing. They just stepped back as I passed. See, these young men (which 99.9% of them are) are taught to be POLITE, and taught to be RESPECTFUL! It bowled me over.

Sure enough, they're taught to respect their elders. ...