Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4596514 times)

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10090 on: July 10, 2009, 09:34:36 pm »

Monkeyshine (not moonshine) is what my dictionary gave me as translation for a really bad prank. Since it seemed strange to me, I added the ? in my first post.

I think "hoax" might be more appropriate.  To my ears, "monkeyshine" implies something more fun and lighthearted than a bomb threat.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10091 on: July 11, 2009, 04:20:30 am »
I think "hoax" might be more appropriate.  To my ears, "monkeyshine" implies something more fun and lighthearted than a bomb threat.

So it is pretty much the opposite to what I was looking for :-\. My gut feeling was right, it did seem strange to me.
Thanks for offering a better alternative.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #10092 on: July 11, 2009, 05:26:16 am »

CONGRATS ON 2,000 VAMP SLAYIN' POSTS, MONIKA!
Buffy rules! :)

Thanks, everyone. Can´t believe that I´ve cluttered this forum with so many posts already

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10093 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:46 am »
Buffy rules! :)

Thanks, everyone. Can´t believe that I´ve cluttered this forum with so many posts already

No clutter!! We've enjoyed every one of them, friend!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10094 on: July 12, 2009, 10:24:53 am »
It's THAT time of the year again ....

... time to whine, moan and complain.

Summer holidays have begun here :). Nothing to whine about that, I love the summer holidays. Six blissful weeks without alarm clock! :D

But it's also the time to place your oders for the new school year. From next year on, I have three kids in school. I've just ordered school books for 331€. And there are still some more missing. Additionally, I bought my girls' bus tickets for next year (390€ each). Then there's the small stuff, from pencils to rulers, from crayons to watercolors, from regular excercise books to specific writing pads with ungodly prices. The small stuff also adds up with three kids.

I made a quick estimation and all together, I have to pay 1290€ for the new school year. That's approx 1800$.

:o

And although I know it perfectly well meanwhile, it angers me every year anew that in other federal countries, the country (via the schools) provides the books, at no costs for the parents. My parents never had to buy a single school book for me.
And if my girls went to a school with a lower educational level, I wouldn't have to pay for the bus tickets at all. Because in Germany we have compulsory schooling, every child between 6 and 15 has to go to school. Therefore the transportation to and from school is free - except when your kids go to the Gymnasium, which is the highest level of school we have. This is viewed as "more than fulfilling the compulsory schooling" and therefore it's not free. Other federal countries have other rules, but this is the situation where I live. Arrrgh! It's so unfair!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10095 on: July 12, 2009, 10:54:13 am »
I hear you friend. My son will be a high school senior so that means I'll be paying college tuition for two of his classes in which he can earn college credit. And he'd better do well in them!!

I have some wacky expenses such as $4,000 for a new bicycle so that my son can get a cycling scholarship to college. I hope it works!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10096 on: July 12, 2009, 11:46:10 am »
I always think the prices you pay for school stuff is wacky Chrissi..  :-\
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10097 on: July 12, 2009, 12:48:28 pm »
I always think the prices you pay for school stuff is wacky Chrissi..  :-\

It sure is >:(
To be fair, I have to say that there is a voucher system for poor families. They get paid the greatest part of the costs for school books via vouchers. But nothing for the bus ticket, which is much more than the books. I pay approx 400€ for books, for three kids altogether, but the bus ticket is almost 400€ per child, once they get into fith grade (the first four years are at a local school, in walking distance).

What makes me the most angry is not the abdsolute cost of it (although it is really wacky), but the unfairness of the system.

Online CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #10098 on: July 13, 2009, 06:40:48 am »
Hello Friends!  Hope that everyone is well!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10099 on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:19 pm »
I have some wacky expenses such as $4,000 for a new bicycle so that my son can get a cycling scholarship to college. I hope it works!!

Where does he want to go to school? I didn't know they gave athletic scholarships to cyclists.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.