Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4595705 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10210 on: August 24, 2009, 09:55:58 am »
Back to school today for the kids.

For the first time after six wonderful weeks, I had to get up early today. alarm clock is set at 5:47am :P.
My middle child started a new school today and my youngest will have his first day of school tomorrow.

This is a big celebration in Germany. Grandparents, cousins, aunt+uncle are coming and I have lots to organize today. The children get a large cornet filled with sweets and little presents, a professional photographer is coming, parents take the day off from work, and it's a big day all around.

It's always somewhat bittersweet to let your kid go to school for the first time ... And this time will be the last "first day of school" for me. From tomorrow on, all my children will be school-children.
I'm proud of him, and share his happiness, but he's not my little baby-boy anymore. A new chapter will open for him. All is good :).

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #10211 on: August 24, 2009, 01:44:01 pm »
Oh Chrissi,  I am so looking forward to seeing you and the family on Friday. It will be great!

Good luck to Oliver on is first day of school tomorrow. Give him a hug for me.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10212 on: August 24, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
I'm proud of him, and share his happiness, but he's not my little baby-boy anymore. A new chapter will open for him. All is good :).

He's growing up. I understand kinder do that.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #10213 on: August 24, 2009, 02:15:35 pm »
Yes, enjoy Oliver! Bet ya Chrissi gets up on the dot at 5.47 tomorrow!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10214 on: August 25, 2009, 01:45:49 am »
Thank y'all for your good wishes.  :)
I'll report back later.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #10215 on: August 25, 2009, 01:36:43 pm »
Here I am, we've made it through this exciting day :D.

My son could hardly wait this morning. Usually, the kids are not allowed to open their Schultüte (cornet with sweets+prezzies) until they return from their first school day. But he had waited for so long (for months), that I allowed him to peek into it and look at the items on top.
Then the relatives came, then off to church (which is voluntary). Then to the schoolyard. But still he wasn't allowed to go into the school (he almost couldn't believe it, he wanted to start finally); there was some welcome program beforehand. Finally, he was allowed in. All parents and relatives accompanied the kids, took pictures, etc. After the first 15 minutes of class, we were sent out.

The first thing Oliver said when we picked him up afterwards was "Mommy, my first school day was super!" :D

He had a great day and is totally happy. Me too :D.

Here you can see his Schultüte (how about kids in your countries? Do they also get prezzies and sweets? Or is this a specific German tradition? I couldn't find a translation for Schultüte, so I think this is a German thing)

For the first time at the blackboard:

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #10216 on: August 25, 2009, 02:24:42 pm »
Is that your lipstick all over his face?  What a cutie!  Congrats to Oliver and Mom.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #10217 on: August 25, 2009, 02:54:34 pm »
Hey Chrissi, what a wonderful tradition! We don't do anything like that here in the US, at least not in my part of the country. Their first day in first grade is like any other day - they go to school, come home and then tell everyone about it. That's about it. It should be a celebration though because the child is beginning a new chapter in his or her life. It's a sign of growing up and they are one step closer to becoming an adult.

I do remember getting presents after my First Communion. We had a big party at the Knights of Columbus and everyone gave me a present - mostly religious items such as rosaries, crucifixes, statues of the Virgin Mary and the saints etc. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #10218 on: August 25, 2009, 03:50:48 pm »
Here I am, we've made it through this exciting day :D.

My son could hardly wait this morning. Usually, the kids are not allowed to open their Schultüte (cornet with sweets+prezzies) until they return from their first school day. But he had waited for so long (for months), that I allowed him to peek into it and look at the items on top.
Then the relatives came, then off to church (which is voluntary). Then to the schoolyard. But still he wasn't allowed to go into the school (he almost couldn't believe it, he wanted to start finally); there was some welcome program beforehand. Finally, he was allowed in. All parents and relatives accompanied the kids, took pictures, etc. After the first 15 minutes of class, we were sent out.

The first thing Oliver said when we picked him up afterwards was "Mommy, my first school day was super!" :D

He had a great day and is totally happy. Me too :D.

How wonderful! Sounds like a lovely and sort-of old-fashioned custom for a child's first day at school. I hope he continues to love school as much as his first day.  :D

Here you can see his Schultüte (how about kids in your countries? Do they also get prezzies and sweets? Or is this a specific German tradition? I couldn't find a translation for Schultüte, so I think this is a German thing).

Well Schul obviously refers to school, and tute sounds like what you do with a cornet. ...  ;D

Is that his teacher next to the board? "A Hearty Weclome to Class 1B."  :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 06:54:16 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #10219 on: August 25, 2009, 10:37:00 pm »
Thanks for sharing Oliver's first day with us!! It was a bittersweet day for me on Monday...the very last first day of school in my entire mothering career. My baby is a high school senior now!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"