Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4572330 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11420 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »
Thank you, Lee and Jeff.
 :-*

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #11421 on: September 13, 2011, 02:23:59 pm »
Vacation time! :D

I've just booked our family fall vacation: one week in beautiful Austria, in October. Soooo much looking forward to it. Doing a lil happy dance here. :laugh:

Enjoy Chrissi!!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11422 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »

I've just booked our family fall vacation: one week in beautiful Austria, in October. Soooo much looking forward to it. Doing a lil happy dance here. :laugh:

Sounds wonderful, Chrissi!

From one mountain range to the next!   ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #11423 on: September 13, 2011, 03:32:38 pm »

I've always thought Austria was one of the most beautiful places on earth, Innsbruck in particular, with it's setting between two mountain ranges and a gorgeous turquoise-colored river, the Inn.

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Andrew

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11424 on: September 13, 2011, 10:21:29 pm »
Where in Austria, Chrissi?  We went to Europe several summers when I was growing up, and Ehrwald and Hallstatt were two places we came back to often.  I think it's true that the combination of topography and climate makes the mountains of Alberta and Austria kin. That scene with the horses in the deep moss which Proulx said was not really true to Wyoming, could also have been shot in the Salzkammergut, don't you think?  In the sun-dappled larch forests I remember walking between house-sized boulders on mattresses of moss.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11425 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:57 pm »
Where in Austria, Chrissi?  We went to Europe several summers when I was growing up, and Ehrwald and Hallstatt were two places we came back to often.  I think it's true that the combination of topography and climate makes the mountains of Alberta and Austria kin. That scene with the horses in the deep moss which Proulx said was not really true to Wyoming, could also have been shot in the Salzkammergut, don't you think?  In the sun-dappled larch forests I remember walking between house-sized boulders on mattresses of moss.

Aspach in the Innviertel. Not far from the Bavarian border. The area is still on the foothills of the Alps, more hills than impressive mountain ranges there. But of course, it's not far to the "real" mountains.

Geologically, the Rockies and the Alps are similar, they're both relatively young and massive fold mountains. Climate is also similar. But the human settlements make a huge, huge difference. Compared with Alberta, Austria seems completely overcrowded.

This is to me the most alluring difference between Europe and North America in general. I've seen "empty"/isolated/natural landscapes in Europe, too. And they're beautiful, no question. But compared with the vastness of North America, those landscapes in Europe seem like small islands in oceans of settlements.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11426 on: September 16, 2011, 08:57:53 am »
Fall is coming. Temperature was 51 F when I left home this morning, and sky was a boneless blue.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11427 on: September 16, 2011, 11:03:16 am »
Fall is coming. Temperature was 51 F when I left home this morning, and sky was a boneless blue.  :)

Fall is coming here, too. :(
I don't know which I like less, winter or fall.  :-\

ETA: thinking about it, I like winter the least. I dislike fall only because it's the end of summer, and the transition to winter. If spring came directly afer fall, I wouldn't dislike fall. :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #11428 on: September 16, 2011, 12:31:20 pm »
Right now, I feel as though I can´t stand another winter. Too dark and too cold :-\

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #11429 on: September 16, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »
Right now, I feel as though I can´t stand another winter. Too dark and too cold :-\

You oughta go south, where it's warm. You oughta go to Mexico.   8)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre