Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4528544 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11840 on: February 15, 2015, 03:11:13 pm »
Some groups don't have floats; they just march in the parade.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11841 on: February 15, 2015, 03:22:01 pm »

A very frequent theme: men in female costumes (the nurse, not the cow). Look at those shoes!
Another thing I noticed and like is that the Joker is still a popular costume. I saw at least five or six today. Not in the parade, but among the visitors.

My favorite float, the giant cookie monster.

And like every year, we didn't make it all the way to the end of the parade. After two hours of standing in the cold we've had enough and went home to mulled wine and cake. Even though it's a small town the parade takes hours. I wouldn't even want to go to one of the real huge ones in famous carnival cities like Cologne or Mainz. Their parades get shown live on TV every year and last for ages. Way too cold in February, lol.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11842 on: February 15, 2015, 03:31:05 pm »
The men dressed up like women would be right at home in our New Year's Day Mummers Parade.

I was surprised to see so many things labeled in English in just those few photos.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11843 on: February 15, 2015, 03:44:07 pm »
The men dressed up like women would be right at home in our New Year's Day Mummers Parade.

Never heard of the Mummers Parade. I looked it up. Another tiny chip of US American culture. The things you learn on BM over the years. :)

I was surprised to see so many things labeled in English in just those few photos.

I think that's pure chance. I remembered only one (Mario) but now also saw the Time Machine float. There are always a few of them in the parade. They usually refer to some American movie, like in these cases.
What I find funny is that many label their floats in the Palatinate dialect. "Rhoischnooke" for example means Rheinschnaken, which is a specific kind of mosquito native to our area.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11844 on: February 15, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »

A very frequent theme: men in female costumes (the nurse, not the cow). Look at those shoes!
Another thing I noticed and like is that the Joker is still a popular costume. I saw at least five or six today. Not in the parade, but among the visitors.

Are you sure the guy in the nurse's uniform wasn't also playing the Joker? I thought Heath as Joker as a nurse was very fetching, although he/she did give Two-Face a fright!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #11845 on: February 15, 2015, 05:58:28 pm »
very cool pics, Chrissi!!!

Thanks for sharing them!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11846 on: February 15, 2015, 07:35:50 pm »
What I find funny is that many label their floats in the Palatinate dialect. "Rhoischnooke" for example means Rheinschnaken, which is a specific kind of mosquito native to our area.

:laugh:  I wondered about Rhoischnooke when I saw it.

Indeed the things you learn here. Now I know the local name for a type of Palatine mosquito.  ;D

And Odderschemer is what you call Cookie Monster?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11847 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:20 am »
:laugh:  I wondered about Rhoischnooke when I saw it.

Indeed the things you learn here. Now I know the local name for a type of Palatine mosquito.  ;D

And Odderschemer is what you call Cookie Monster?

Nope. Cookie Monster is Krümelmonster in German (Crumbs Monster).

Odderschemer = Ottersheimer. A person or thing from the tiny village of Ottersheim. The float reads Odderschemer Eck = Ottersheim's Corner. The village has a very sharp corner in its main street, which is commonly called (surprise! ;)) The Corner. There's a pub and a carnival club of the same name.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #11848 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:44 am »
Are you sure the guy in the nurse's uniform wasn't also playing the Joker? I thought Heath as Joker as a nurse was very fetching, although he/she did give Two-Face a fright!

Good thinking, FRiend! Who knows...?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11849 on: February 16, 2015, 11:42:51 am »
Nope. Cookie Monster is Krümelmonster in German (Crumbs Monster).

Odderschemer = Ottersheimer. A person or thing from the tiny village of Ottersheim. The float reads Odderschemer Eck = Ottersheim's Corner. The village has a very sharp corner in its main street, which is commonly called (surprise! ;)) The Corner. There's a pub and a carnival club of the same name.

Ah! I see. So that sign just identified who sponsored the float.  :)