Author Topic: About the 'Sorry, It's all right, it's all right' thingie - by yuecito  (Read 8051 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
About the 'Sorry, It's all right, it's all right' thingie...   
  by - yuecito (Thu Jan 26 2006 02:38:40 )   

For those of us who heard these lines in the second tent scene... What is Ennis apologizing for? My guess is that he feels sorry for the way he treated Jack that morning, leaving without saying anything. Although he could be saying sorry for kissing him without knowing for sure what was going on... Any thought on this one?

Re: About the 'Sorry, It's all right, it's all right' thingie...   
  by - Jamessemaj12 (Thu Jan 26 2006 02:43:05 )   

It could be either/or but my guess is b/c of the way he treated Jack, just me 2¢

"But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me." BUSH. after 9/11 attacks, 12/20/2001

by - vkm91941 (Thu Jan 26 2006 02:44:13 )   

Yeah for being so rough the night before and then riding off without a word the next morning. That's my guess/

Victoria M
Forget about what you thought you were and just accept who you are

by - PeterDecker (Thu Jan 26 2006 02:45:06 )

I think he's sorry because he can't lighten up and go with it. He's repressed.

by - jscheib (Thu Jan 26 2006 06:06:40 )

My take is, sorry for being so rough the night before.

by - snuffle007 (Thu Jan 26 2006 06:12:29
)   

I think it's a sorry for the way he treated Jack that morning and maybe a sorry for being rough the night before.

Could be he was apologising for both and for being a little up-tight with Jack.

I think it is open to interpretation...like a lot of dialogue!!

"I wish I knew how to quit you" Jack Twist

by - Wooski (Thu Jan 26 2006 06:15:03 )

I think he was saying sorry for saying "I aint queer", for denying what he felt. Everyone knows what's gonna happen when he gets up and walks into the tent....

by - chatty_1 (Thu Jan 26 2006 06:54:52 )   

I agree that he was apologizing for the way he treated Jack that morning.

= "Chatty" . . . That's me!

by - brazzla (Thu Jan 26 2006 07:08:22 )

Personally, I am still on the fence about whether the sorry was even said... BUT i think if he did say sorry it was to apologize for all the preceding events not just one. For being so rough, for not speaking to Jack the next morning, for saying he wasn't a queer... and just for not being as open about everything and not knowing how to go about things like Jack does.

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 07:22:28 )

UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 07:22:43
OH MY GOD, WHATEVER!!!!!!!!!!!

"You know it could be like this, just like this, always"
Black Hat White Hat

by - catglith (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:13:06 )   

IF Ennis said "i'm sorry" i think he's probably apologizing for the way he treated Jack that morning and perhaps for not knowing quite how to act/what to do. I doubt it was for being 'too rough' the night before - Jack initiated it and Ennis probably didn't know he HAD been 'too rough' because he hadn't done it before. Also i don't think he was saying sorry for saying he's "no queer" - he's still in serious denial about being gay all through the movie!

by - hibbler (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:16:34 )

UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 08:17:16

For those of us who heard these lines in the second tent scene...

Cute way of putting that...since those lines were NOT in the scene! LOL! This is something we're going to be debating forever, unless someone gets a chance to ask Heath himself what he said, if anything.

by - adamx013 (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:21:13 )   

They were absolutely in the scene, and its makes total sense that they would be!

You can even tell when you watch that UTube video that is going around. Ennis breaths in his husky way "I'm sorry" (doesn't move his lips but does open his mouth a little, as Ennis is wont to do), and then Jack nods twice in response, says "it's OK" once or twice, and then pulls Ennis down onto his chest and holds him.

It is so OBVIOUS that this is the case that I CANNOT believe that anyone is denying it!

by - ednbarby (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:25:00 )

I agree, Adam. I heard it clearly in the internet clip and my second viewing of the movie when the sound was much better.

Now my whole world is gone for dead, 'cause I can't get it out of my head.

Look: if some of us HEARD therm, they're there...   
  by - Julie01 (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:28:10 )

I don't think Ennis is apologizing for being so rough the night before..see other threads (unless they, too, have been deleted by administrator!), but for leaving without saying goodbye, or even responding to Jack's "see you for supper," which if Jack had said 10 seconds later, would have been to the empty air...

I'm so glad other people hear ENNIS saying "I'm sorry," and JACK saying "It's all right"--because the way i heard it (the other way around) doesn't make any sense. If you are NOT hearing these things, they are said in a true, low whisper, and you need a really good sound system in the theater to pick them up.
You are looking at the back of Jack's head, and Ennis's lips barely move...

It doesn't make ANY sense for these lines to be in some prints, and not in others...if a lot of us have heard them, and a lot of us have,, they're there.

"You come back and see us again"--Jack's mother

Re: Look: if some of us HEARD therm, they're there...   
  by - lo-eveline (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:37:42 )   

I definitey heard Jack whispering "It's alright, it's alright", I couldn't be 100% sure if Ennis said "I'm sorry" before that, although it would make sense. Even if Ennis didn't say I'm sorry, Jack's "It's alright" still makes perfect sense as he was trying to reassure Ennis what's happening between them is alright.

by - Sean-134 (Thu Jan 26 2006 08:44:00
)   

Well, the movie doesn't show everything. It hints and hides. Ennis probably did something to Jack that is worth apologizing for between the two tent scenes. ( I am not even sure if it is just one day in between.) Saying rude things, being unfriendly, or my best guess, cold shoulders; notice the two were not talking before Ennis went into the tent.

by - mikel1814 (Thu Jan 26 2006 09:26:28 )   

Ennis appologizing at that point in the movie makes absolutely 100% no sense.

He doesn't say "I'm sorry." He's scared to death! He is mute!

Of course we all WANT him to be just as tender to Jack as Jack is to Ennis, that's what we WANT. It is NOT HAPPENIN' folks. He can't even look him in the eye. He can't even bring himself to lay on top of Jack and kiss him, he has to lay on his chest and close his eyes. Every single touch of Jacks naked chest makes his face wince in pain. He wants it so bad but it is painful. The euphoria is so overwhelming that it hurts him.

All that is said in that scene is Jack reassuring words. It's Jack saying in his accent "'Salrite...'Salrite...'Soookay....SMOOCH!"

by - adamx013 (Thu Jan 26 2006 09:31:19 )   

Sorry but it makes all the sense in the world. He and Jack have become good friends and yet that morning Ennis was cold to Jack, rode off without a word. Was not terribly friendly either in his little conversation with Jack at the end of day. Also, like others have pointed out, he is apologizing for being awkward in this new situation - he doesn't know what to do and feels out of control (which is not something Ennis likes). It makes perfect sense that he would say "I'm sorry" once, which a lot of us have HEARD, and that Jack would then say "It's all right" in response and then hold him. COMPLETELY BELIEVABLE!

by - amgineurt (Thu Jan 26 2006 09:35:58 )   

This cracks me up. 894 posts on this, and we've gotten nowhere!

My take, for what it's worth, and I'm 100% certain (as most everyone else is, of course). There are THREE "'s alrights" from Jack. Each getting gradually louder. "I'm sorry" would be out of character for Ennis, and I'm with those who understand that he is so petrified at this moment that he wouldn't say ANYTHING! Hell, he doesn't say anything most of the time when he's not terrified!

Try it. Whisper "'s alright" said with the accent, like "sawrite." It sounds remarkably like "sorry."

by - grghls (Thu Jan 26 2006 09:50:19 )

saw BBM again yesterday and the theatre had excellent sound. i could not tell who was speaking the first couple of times. it is mumbled and low but it is definitely there. the last two times it is definitely jack saying "it's alright." my take is that it is jack speaking throughout and the first couple of times he is mumbling "it's alright" and it sounds like "i'm sorry".

"we was fishin' buddies"

by - HubbaHubbaBear (Thu Jan 26 2006 10:31:07 )

Ennis DOES NOT say I'm sorry. He says NOTHING! Man some of y'all need to clean out your ears or see it in a theater with better sound. Peace.

Patrick (Hubcap)
http://www.childhelpusa.org

by - adamx013 (Thu Jan 26 2006 10:56:22 )   

Clean out yours man! I've seen it in 4 different theaters! And Ennis says it!

by - JackTwist (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:07:10 )   

unless someone gets a chance to ask Heath himself what he said, if anything.

after aprox. 2 years, would he remember the script and any little detail like that?

Old Brokeback got us good
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/bbmountain

by - delalluvia (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:35:44 )   
Ignore this User | Report Abuse   
UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 11:37:07
WE ARE NEVER GOING TO KNOW...for every person who says they heard it, there is someone else who said they didn't hear Heath say anything. For every person who heard it on the DVD, there is another person with the DVD who said he didn't. For every person who has a DVD with closed captioning/subtitles, there is another person who can tell you that closed captioning/subtitled people are just as falliable as everyone on this board.

Yes it makes sense that Heath would say it, it also makes sense that he wouldn't say anything.

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO KNOW...

Team Jolie

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:39:22 )   
Heath never said anything, IT WAS JAKE SAYING "S'ALRIGHT, S'ALRIGHT, IT'S ALL RIGHT"

GOOD GOD!!!
(not talking about you, hibbler)

Black Hat White Hat

OY...   
  by - Julie01 (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:42:55 )   
(I'm sorry.)

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:43:36 )   
It makes absoultely NO SENSE for Heath to say anything in that scene, and he doesn't. His mouth never moves, it's Jake saying "It's all right" three times, and I think the deluded individuals that keep wanting to project their own fantasy into that scene are getting a bit pathetic at this point. They just hear what they want to hear, it's getting real sad.

Black Hat White Hat

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:45:15 )   
Stop projecting your own fantasy into the film. He says nothing. NOTHING. Good God people I want someone to ask Jake matter of factly what he said, and then he will confirm (as would Heath) that you are nuts.

Black Hat White Hat

by - adamx013 (Thu Jan 26 2006 11:47:03 )   
Hey Surf,

Please keep it civil. If you don't want to believe it then don't, but don't accuse us who heard it of being "pathetic". Grow up!

We should be able to debate something a little about a movie we all LOVE without getting called names.

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 12:13:15 )   
Sorry I think it is pathetic and that is that.

Black Hat White Hat

by - adamx013 (Thu Jan 26 2006 12:26:06 )   
Well I guess it takes one to know one...

Here we go again   
  by - marbry8 (Thu Jan 26 2006 13:22:19 )   
UPDATED Sun Mar 5 2006 11:59:37
As soon as I saw this topic, I cringed.

I saw it four times, twice with the same friend and we both came up with separate interpretations for that scene, then changed our minds and then changed them back. I believe that for now we just have to let each person decide for themselves and wait for the DVD.

I don't think it's necessary for everyone to agree at this point and it certainly isn't necessary to disparge people based on what they did or didn't hear.

by - JackTwist (Thu Jan 26 2006 14:56:59 )   
I couldn't agree more with delalluvia, we are never going to know. Eventually we will get the DVD and the closed caption thingy won't tell us the truth. There is always little changes, from the captioning and the actor's words and dialogue, I think people who work in captioning just follow a script but don't check with the actual dialogues / audio, sometimes there are subtle changes, sometimes they put something shorter than the actual dialogue. Subtitles won't tell us the truth because the caption system is falliable. Still is good to believe that the lines and dialogues went the way we hear...

Old Brokeback got us good
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/bbmountain

by - Vaeran (Thu Jan 26 2006 18:20:38 )   
I have the screenplay right here. Here is the scene in its entirety:

INT. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, WYOMING: TENT: NIGHT: CONTINUED

JACK sits atop the bedroll, naked, his shirt draped over his lap. He looks up as ENNIS enters.

ENNIS cautiously steps in. JACK raises his hand to him. ENNIS takes it. JACK pulls him in.

JACK, gentle, reassuring, takes ENNIS'S face in his hands.

JACK
It's all right... It's all right...

JACK kisses him.

They lie back. Embrace. Kiss.

[end of scene]

I'm sorry, but there's no "I'm sorry". :P

by - delalluvia (Thu Jan 26 2006 18:29:58 )   
UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 18:30:28
Unfortunately Vaeran if you go further in the screenplay to the 'wish I could quit you' scene you'll notice the scene ends before the flashback with a hug and no dialogue from Ennis, yet he very obviously says something there.

The screenplay is not definitive either.

Team Jolie

by - PaleEnchantress (Thu Jan 26 2006 18:36:57 )   
UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 18:37:33
Well, since I live in Norway and we have subtitling, I can guarantee you that there's some sorries and allrighties. I can't tell you who says what, though, but it's definitely there.

Proud rumrunner!

by - delalluvia (Thu Jan 26 2006 18:46:21 )   
I'm sure there are paleEnchantress, but who is doing the subtitling? People who are just as prone to mishearing things or not as people on this board.

Team Jolie

by - PaleEnchantress (Thu Jan 26 2006 18:54:40 )   
I should think the subtitlers doesn't sit and watch the film, and translate as they go... I'm sure they get a script for correct spelling of cowboy jargon and such.

Old Brokeback got me good...

by - MerryJoe_Moles (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:15:24 )   
You're all wrong. It's Jack that says the "I'm sorry" and Ennis who responds with the "It's all right." Which makes complete sense.

by - xsparkle_motionx (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:16:46 )   
As much as I would really love for Ennis to apologize (I think it would be very endearing), I am sure that he doesn't. I have played the clip over and over and it's just Jack saying s'alright.

I'm gonna pitch a pup tent on the QT with Jake G.

by - delalluvia (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:17:12 )   
I should think the subtitlers doesn't sit and watch the film, and translate as they go... I'm sure they get a script for correct spelling of cowboy jargon and such.

[shrug] Don't know pale. If you bought the 'Story to Screenplay' book of BBM, then - as noted above - you will see that the screenplay doesn't have Ennis saying anything during that scene.

Team Jolie

by - Ellemeno (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:25:21 )   
I have changed teams - it is not Ennis talking. It is Jack 3 times.

"You got a better idea.......hm?"

by - delalluvia (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:27:17 )   
I have changed teams - it is not Ennis talking. It is Jack 3 times.

What changed your mind, elle?

Team Jolie

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:28:31 )   
I don't know why you encourage the "I'm Sorry'ers" nonsense.

Black Hat White Hat

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:30:22 )   
I doubt it, you can't trust foreign subtitles.

For the Love of God, Heaths' mouth does NOT MOVE. And Jack doesn't say I'm sorry either. People are INSANE.

Black Hat White Hat

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:30:49 )   
BUWAHAHAHAHAHA now people are REALLY getting loony.

Black Hat White Hat

by - tmelchior (Thu Jan 26 2006 20:50:45 )   
Not to beat a dead horse but... I've seen it twice in a theater with great sound, I have excellent hearing... and I didn't hear Ennis say "sorry".... sorry! It would have been a great line, but I don't think its there.

"You know it could be like this, just like this, always" - Jack Twist

by - spottedreptile (Thu Jan 26 2006 21:16:15 )   
A screenplay is not a shooting script is not what was actually shot is not what was finally edited. Dialogue can change at all these points, even after production.

I don't think anyone can be definitive at this point. Heath's mouth doesn't move, however ADR can always bring in extra lines regardless of what is said during the shot. It's too faint to be sure, even at home with a real good set of headphones on. SOMETHING is said, and you can make arguments for "I'm sorry" or "it's alright."

It's evident that Ennis doesn't say "I hear what they got in Mexico for boys like you" during the final lake scene either, because his mouth is out of synch with the words. So, ADR there as well?

But saying it's in the screenplay is like saying it was in the original story. Doesn't mean a thing.

by - surf501 (Thu Jan 26 2006 21:18:26 )   
I don't think anyone can be definitive at this point.

Oh, I can.

Black Hat White Hat

by - thebeej (Thu Jan 26 2006 23:41:13 )   
UPDATED Thu Jan 26 2006 23:56:22
Jack says very clearly "I'm sorry [I took your hand in the middle of the night last night and put it on my hard crotch and started the whole thing]" and Ennis then replies very clearly "It's alright, it's alright [you took me by surprise but it's not like I didn't want it too]."

None so blind as those who do not see; none so deaf as those who do not hear.

by - yuecito (Fri Jan 27 2006 02:52:40 )   
Well, this probably will clear some things... or maybe make them worse X_x

In the final lake scene, what do you hear that Jack sais when he holds Ennis?

To me he sais "It's all right" twice, but the first "It's all right" sounds like an "I'm sorry". Considering that, I'm also switching to the "It's all right" 3 times in the second tent scene...

Why can't the actors visit these forums >_<

by - surf501 (Fri Jan 27 2006 05:47:44 )   
Now you need glasses AND your ears cleaned out.

Black Hat White Hat

by - Ellemeno (Fri Jan 27 2006 05:58:17 )   
>> What changed your mind, elle?

Paying attention.   It was obvious then. For anyone who wants to watch this scene again and again and again - for research purposes, of course - here it is. I recommend earphones as the only way to really hear:

&search=brokeback

FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES   
  by - delalluvia (Fri Jan 27 2006 11:56:55 )   

BUMPING FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES

Team Jolie

Re: FOR RESEARCH PURPOSES   
  by - myrtle-the-turtle (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:16:20 )   
I watched the scene again too.

I KNOW I am stepping into a snakepit here, but to offer another perspective on the scene:

I believe Ennis apologizes, and I believe Jack tells him "It's all right". I think Ennis is apologizing for being the silent/stoic type... for being unable to acknowledge his feelings. I think he is fully aware of his own character flaws and he can't say what he needs to say, what he wants, so he apologizes.

It is a doomed love affair from the start, and maybe those who have been in that experience hear him say it, because, well, it is always nice when your lover can recognize that they have hurt you.

DID HE SAY 'I'M SORRY' ?   
  by - maxou10 (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:23:07 )   
Damn, I missed it! I've seen the movie twice! I need to see it again today to see if I can catch that.

by - surf501 (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:26:55 )   

How do you apologize without moving your mouth? Is he a voice thrower?

Black Hat White Hat

by - austendw (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:27:46 )   
UPDATED Fri Jan 27 2006 12:35:41
Here's my penny's worth. Before Jack twice says, fairly clearly "It's alright", something does appear to be whispered, very faintly. But Ennis's lips simply don't move, and if this had been dubbed in afterwards, one would have imagined it'd be clearer.

Therefore, my guess is that it's actually a very, very faintly whispered "It's alright" from Jack. "S'awright" - "Sorry" - See how similar they might sound if whispered?

Well, it's an idea, no?

Edit: I've listened again, and I think my theory makes sense. The rhythm fits. it's a sort of:

"S'awright.... 't's'awright .......... It's alright"

But then I guess that may just show that our minds are the masters of our ears and not the other way round.

by - pepe58season (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:33:00 )   
I've seen it 3 times, and from the first I coulda sworn it was JACK who says, "Sorry..it's all right...it's allright...." My perception was that the "Sorry" was because when he first goes to kiss Ennis, Ennis subtly flinches back, and then Jack saying "Sorry...it's all right...it's all right..." allows Ennis to follow through with his desires.

by - myrtle-the-turtle (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:33:49 )   
I think Ledger kept his mouth closed most of the movie. There were many times that I heard dialogue and didn't know where it was coming from. Or what was even said for that matter. Another part of his character.

by - myrtle-the-turtle (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:35:42 )   
That would make sense.

by - RobertPlant (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:53:38 )   
I'm italian and I saw the movie in italian of course (then in english).
So in my language version Ennis says, aloud:
I'm sorry (mi dispiace)
and jack answeres, aloud too (maybe someone thinks italians are deaf)
don't worry (non e' nulla)
they whispered in the original version, as you all obviously known...

by - sel50uk (Fri Jan 27 2006 12:54:16 )   
It could have been dubbed over, if it wasn't loud enough that is.

by - surf501 (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:19:22 )   

Heath's mouth moved when he talked. Someone else already tried the lame "well they dubbed in the sound thinking no one would notice because Heath didn't move his mouth much when he talked" excuse.

And no respectable director or editor would dub in sound when you can clearly see a characters mouth NOT MOVING.

Black Hat White Hat

by - surf501 (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:21:16 )   
Jack doesn't say I'm sorry either.

This topic is now my personal pet peeve.

Black Hat White Hat

ME TOO! I didn't realize it until I read your post...   
  by - HobokenJeff (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:23:31 )   
... but it gets under my skin and is so meaningless.

thanks for the smile.

Does everyone hear, when E and J go out to J's truck,   
  by - Julie01 (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:26:57 )   
UPDATED Fri Jan 27 2006 13:28:16
after they've left Alma, they talk about "starving" and "get something to eat"? I only heard it the last time I went to a theater with better sound...hey, they're not stariving...for food! Must have been for Alma's benefit...

Please don't tell me I made that one up...

Re: Does everyone hear, when E and J go out to J's truck,   
  by - valerie_lp (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:47:33 )   
UPDATED Fri Jan 27 2006 13:51:30
I think they're starving for food...they've been at it all night long, and we saw Ennis skip dinner the night before, while waiting for Jack.

NO, I mean, when they FIRST leave Alma's house   
  by - Julie01 (Fri Jan 27 2006 13:57:48 )   
--Hey, I'm confused..I THOUGHT I meant when they FIRST leave Alma's house...no, you're right--it's after Ennis has come home to pack...right, they WOULD be starving...well, you gotta go easy on me, I've only seen it 11 times, and I'm an old woman...

SO: everyone hear those lines? (sorry about the confusion)

by - Haight_Male (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:01:11 )   
Honest to god, there are at least a thousand movie scenes where people say something and their mouth doesn't move. It's not like it's unprecedented or anything. Good lord....

by - valerie_lp (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:17:21 )   
Right on, Ellemeno!

Re: NO, I mean, when they FIRST leave Alma's house   
  by - Ellemeno (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:22:40 )   
Ennis comes home to pack his bags, runs back down to the truck. As he's throwing his things in the back, Jack says something like, "I'm starved, want to get something to eat?" and our Ennis says, "yep."

by - wang_jude (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:34:32 )   
UPDATED Fri Jan 27 2006 14:40:51
I've heard it too! My interpretation - an nobody here has said it I think - it is ONLY Jack who speaks and he says "I'm sorry. I'm sorry" and then "It's alright" nodding his head slightly. I swear I heard it! All after the kiss.

I could even hear a troncated "come" (just before the kiss). Mark my words and then come back to my post when you have the DVD .

Or go to www.youtube.com/w/brokeback-mountain-noche2?v=Os3PAgEx1BI&search=brokeback and crank it up!!

"..it would be a sweet life.." - [J. Twist - BBM]

That's what I meant...anybody NOT catch those words?   
  by - Julie01 (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:35:34 )   
UPDATED Fri Jan 27 2006 14:36:18
...in which case, I have to keep going to the Piedmont...BART to McCarther...bus to Piedmont...YURG. berkeley soundtrack doesn't do it....

by - RobertPlant (Fri Jan 27 2006 14:39:21 )   
it is ONLY Jack who speaks

Yes, I think so ...I've seen that scene a lot of times... I heard just Jack...

by - webqueen259 (Fri Jan 27 2006 15:00:24 )   
Are we beating this dead horse again? I heard this with earphones (all other noise blocked out) and what I hear is Jack saying "It's alright" three times. The first two times he says it very, very, quietly (almost unaudiable), the third time he says (just a hair louder than the first two times) it is just before he and Ennis lay down. Jack kind of nods his head a little when he says it the third time. I think he's just trying to continuously reassure Ennis who is fearful of the situation. I never heard an I'm sorry from anyone, especially Ennis who never moves his mouth except for the first kiss with Jack.

by - wang_jude (Fri Jan 27 2006 15:10:58 )   
No no... It's Jack saying "I'm sorry" twice and then "It's alright". I'm positive and beating the dead horse! 

"..it would be a sweet life.." - [J. Twist - BBM]

by - austendw (Fri Jan 27 2006 15:24:49 )   
You won't allow the possibility that "s'awright" could be misheard as "sorry"?

by - jean-claude_pierre (Fri Jan 27 2006 17:14:23 )   
So all here except three people are in agreement that both "I'm sorry" and "It's all right" are heard. Now we just disagree on who says which line.

That's progress.

by - Ellemeno (Fri Jan 27 2006 17:18:11 )   
>> You won't allow the possibility that "s'awright" could be misheard as "sorry"?

That is what happened for me. I misheard it as you describe.

At the risk of repeating myself...   
  by - delalluvia (Fri Jan 27 2006 17:20:36 )   
I'm with you austen. That was what made me switch camps a month or so ago.

It's all Jack, his accent makes the first "It's alright." come out as "S'alright" and since it's said so softly sounds like "Sar-eye."

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO KNOW...for every person who says they heard it, there is someone else who said they didn't hear Heath say anything. For every person who heard it on the DVD, there is another person with the DVD who said he didn't. For every person who has a DVD with closed captioning/subtitles, there is another person who can tell you that closed captioning/subtitled people are just as falliable as everyone on this board.

Yes it makes sense that Heath would say it, it also makes sense that he wouldn't say anything.

WE ARE NEVER GOING TO KNOW...

Team Jolie

by - Ellemeno (Fri Jan 27 2006 17:23:19 )   
You know the thread asking which thread here we would most want Ang, Heath, Jake et al to see? This is the thread I most don't want them to see (at least that I participate in.)

by - austendw (Fri Jan 27 2006 23:25:44 )   
This is the thread I most don't want them to see

LOL

by - montferrat (Fri Jan 27 2006 23:42:43 )   

not saying which is right! Just gonna put down what I heard.

"s'awright, s'alright, it's alright.."

<ducking>

"hunh?" ~ Ennis del Mar

by - Pepe_el_Romano (Fri Jan 27 2006 23:46:42 )   
You left out the "I'm sorry".

by - montferrat (Fri Jan 27 2006 23:51:00 )   
LOLOL! Nice try Pepe, like I said, I'm not saying it's not there, BUT, I didn't hear it. I heard EXACTLY what I typed above.

"hunh?" ~ Ennis del Mar

by - Spooky_Rabbit (Sat Jan 28 2006 00:06:29 )   
UPDATED Sat Jan 28 2006 00:07:27
What I heard: "SALL RITE. SALL RITE. SALL RITE."

I've seen it five times in the theatre and that's what I heard each and every time. A midwestern cowboy twanged "it's all right."

Which sounds like 'sorry'...

But if Ennis said "Sorry":

It would be apologizing for sexual inexperience. I've had guys who have no experience apologize so sweetly like that upon first kiss. Which is really beautiful...

And, of course, they often loop lines in later with scant regard for lips moving...

So. Dat's all. Right now, only the Lord knows... 

"Yes ma'am, I'll have a cup a coffee, but I can't eat no cake just now."

by - webqueen259 (Sat Jan 28 2006 00:13:24 )   
montferrat -- you are exactly right on what Jack said. The first two times were so very low that you could hardly make it out but it did sound like s'awright, s'alright. The last time he gives a slight nod and you can hear it a little better. All are said so low they are barely audible. I can't figure out why everyone thinks he's saying I'm sorry. "Sorry" for what? And let me just say this for the record, Ennis does not speak at all. Unless he's doing a vantriliquist act, his lips never move, except for the kiss (oh my!). The "its alright" makes sense because Jack is trying to reassure Ennis.

by - Haight_Male (Sat Jan 28 2006 01:02:46 )   
Repeating what I posted above:

Honest to god, there are at least a thousand movie scenes where people say something and their mouth doesn't move. It's not like it's unprecedented or anything. Good lord....

The "I'm sorry" is there clear as a bell on my DVD which you can hear without question if you want to come over to my place and put your ear inside my center channel speaker on my 7-speaker Dolby Digital sound system and I'll play it at any volume you want over and over and over so you will be saying "I'm sorry" for the rest of your life!!!

by - maxou10 (Sat Jan 28 2006 01:15:07 )   
Ok, just got back from a 9:45pm showing.
I paid particular attention to the scene and yes, I heard it! Ennis says "I'm sorry."
Jack: s'allright, s'allright!
And yes, Ennis was apologizing for treating Jack badly the morning after.

by - terryhall2 (Sat Jan 28 2006 03:38:08 )   
Yes, I think he's saying sorry for approaching him in the tent, apologising for something he wants. That's why Jack says; it's alright, it's alright (in other words, it's ok, I want it too)

by - austendw (Sat Jan 28 2006 11:23:04 )   
Don't duck!

by - Front-Ranger (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:28:00 )   
Now can we talk about who says "Come 'ere" and when? ;^)

by - andy1982 (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:35:56 )   
He keeps saying sorry because he keeps hesitating and can't get straight into the embrace, although he really wants to, because of his upbringing.

by - tryagain-5 (Sun Feb 12 2006 13:53:53 )   
That was my thought too--just saying sorry for being clumsy at this. My other thought was that there was a deleted scene and we missed something right before that tent scene.

HQ audio file   
  by - two_bloody_shirts (Sun Feb 12 2006 14:14:35 )   
UPDATED Sun Feb 12 2006 14:16:56
Are we still debating this? If so download that part of the scene below and listen with the volume all the way up.

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2K9WY55M4UTUI39CTQD3RAXEL6

I think someone says, "I'm sorry" but only Jack's mouth is open and moving during that time.

If anyone else needs other specific peices of audio let me know.

-----
 Love. You have a problem with it?

by - wplains (Mon Feb 13 2006 14:41:54 )   
Somebody had a copy of the Screenplay, what does that say? Anyone know?

by - wplains (Mon Feb 13 2006 14:45:43 )   
Yes. One of the things I noticed during that scene was that he didn't even put his arms around Jack when Jack got on top of him, like anybody else would. He was completely frozen.

by - wplains (Mon Feb 13 2006 15:00:12 )   
LOL, this is such a ridiculous discussion...

by - koenigpatrick (Mon Feb 13 2006 15:03:16 )   
Yes i have it. It was Jack that said "it's all right ...it's all right" i believe trying to comfort Ennis. Very good scene.

by - miren_30 (Wed Feb 15 2006 08:23:29 )   
In the spanish version of it (in Spain, I don´t know in Southamerica), he definitely says sorry and then Jack twice "tranquilo" which I understood he was asking Ennis to calm down (as he was nervous) but then obviously knowing the words in the English version he just wants to tell him to forget the reason (or reasons) for him being sorry.

by - deedee120 (Wed Feb 15 2006 08:34:34 )   
I just watched the video for the 100th time and I do not hear Ennis say sorry.
I hear Jack say, come here and its allright.

by - mvansand76 (Wed Feb 15 2006 08:40:32 )   
hee hee hee! this thread has come back up! Ok, saw it twice in a theater in Amsterdam with subtitles and the subtitles said (translated from Dutch)

I'm sorry
It's alright
Come here

Now, I really doubt the translators have only the sound to work from, they must have the definite script or something else to work from, because I read somewhere that in the Danish translation there were exactly the same lines as in the Dutch subtitles.

If anybody's still in doubt, can we find somebody to ask Jake, Heath or Ang about this? :-) I wouldn't mind volunteering...!

by - RobertPlant (Wed Feb 15 2006 08:43:17 )   
Same for the italian version...

I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
over the hills where the spirits fly

by - NuitEtJour (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:05:42 )   
Well in my home city in France it shows in its original version, and I distinctly heard Ennis say at least 3 times "I'm sorry, I'm sorry...", but I don't remember Jack answering anything. Funny thing is, none of it is translated into French on the screen!
I've wondered about this "sorry"; my guess is, he's apologizing for acting cold (probably since the morning). Anyway, going back tomorrow, see if I can make more of this...

by - dmmb (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:22:47 )   
This topic definitely is frustrating. IMO Ennis doesn't say anything! I don't think Ang would have just let that happen. I don't think he would have let there be dialogue without Ennis' mouth moving at all!!!

Jack *beep*in' Twist!

by - deedee120 (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:24:24 )   
OK, I watched the video (yummy) again and if you listen very closely, you can hear "sorry" and Jack says Its alright, come here....very very quietly.

by - lo-eveline (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:32:56 )   
I didn't want to get into this "debate" again... but after watching the DVD (and yes, it's a copy sent for awards consideration only - so don't get excited - DVD not out yet) and listened to it with a earplug, i "believe" this time I heard Ennis said "i'm sorry" or just "sorry" and then Jack said "it's alright, it's alright".

about Ennis's lips not moving... sometimes actors have to add dialogues back in post-production. no biggie.

by - cheriberry (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:51:10 )   
If they're translating both "I'm sorry" and "It's alright" in the various foreign language subtitles, you can bet it's there. They (the subtitle writers) may have had to ask to make sure if they weren't positive from their own ears, so you can bet money on the answer they got from people who should know.

P.S. I have heard both clearly since the first time I saw it, save one time at a theater that had such a crappy sound system that I didn't understand half the movie!

by - C-leg (Wed Feb 15 2006 12:53:51 )   
It's Jack's mouth moving when you here the words "ok...I’m Sorry...It’s all rite...it’s all rite" Ennis doesn’t say a word.

by - EnnisLovesJack (Wed Feb 15 2006 13:14:48 )   
Well in Italian, "tranquillo" - in this context - means "it's alright." Like, don't worry about it, it's OK. I imagine that's how it is in Spanish too.

"Redlined it all the way, couldn't get here fast enough."

by - EnnisLovesJack (Wed Feb 15 2006 13:16:59 )   
Thanks! I could have sworn - on one particular viewing - that I heard Ennis say "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." before Jack's "It's alright. It's alright."
Thanks for confirming!

by - freeskate (Wed Feb 15 2006 22:37:07 )   
Doesn't matter if anyone's mouth is moving or not. Some of the best lines ever spoken in film are spoken by people who don't move their mouths.

by - sunmoonstars-1 (Wed Feb 15 2006 22:49:01 )   

I think he's apologizing because he's going against what they "kind of" agreed on earlier, that last night was a one-time thing and that they weren't queer. Jack's response "It's alright" seems to indicate that he doesn't care, he wants to have this relationship with Ennis, despite what they said to each other earlier.

The greatest gift is one that inspires others to give their greatest.

by - Danyelle-Dillon (Wed Feb 15 2006 22:49:06 )   
Ennis doesn't say anything when he comes into the tent to fins a shirtless, yummy Jack. Jack says "It's alright" three times, with the last time souinding more like, "It's over." Again, Ennis says zilch during this scene.

Jake Gyllenhaal is NOT Toothy Tile until HE says so!

by - cheriberry (Wed Feb 15 2006 23:34:05 )   
Then it's doubly interesting that all the foreign language subtitles are translating both "I'm sorry" and "It's alright."

ROTF!!!

by - catglith (Sat Feb 18 2006 15:57:45 )   
I have been a strong supporter of the "Ennis didn't say sorry" theory ever since the debate came up. I've seen the film 4 times and the clip on YouTube at least 10 times, trying to figure out if Ennis says "i'm sorry". But, i just listened to the audio alone turned up loud - and i heard "i'm sorry"! There where four things said, 3 "alrights" and before that, really softly, an "i'm sorry". But, i don't know who said it, its very unclear.

Confirmed: 'I'm sorry' is definitely there!   
  by - Haight_Male (Sat Feb 18 2006 17:30:35 )   
That's always been my conclusion. I've heard the "I'm sorry" since the first time I saw it, but I never was sure which one said it. But I've always assumed it was Jack saying "sorry" for being so aggressive with his kissing. But that's just me.

I'm glad to hear it's being put in all the foreign subtitles, though. Glad to have the doubts dispelled.

Re: Confirmed: 'I'm sorry' is definitely there!   
  by - kid-8 (Sun Feb 19 2006 22:16:09 )   
It just sounds like Jack is saying "sorry"...he's saying, "'s all right". He's not saying "sorry". He's simply reassuring Ennis that it's all right for them to be together, kissing, affectionate, almost like one would do to a small child...

by - EnnisLovesJack (Sun Feb 19 2006 23:04:21 )   
BUMP

by - kaching (Mon Feb 20 2006 00:04:40 )   
Sorry, but if nobody's saying "sorry", why are all the foreign subtitles translating the dialogue in that scene to be "I'm sorry", then "It's alright"?

The issue's been settled. Both lines are there. Both here and abroad. In all versions. Let's move on.

by - wplains (Mon Feb 20 2006 01:27:50 )   
Well, I watched this film with subtitles (in Portuguese) and they definitely put in a sorry and two "it's alright". So, whereever they translated it from, they certainly thought the sorry was in there. Personally, "it's alright" and "sorry" sound like very much the same word to me, so that could be the confusion right there.

by - NuitEtJour (Mon Feb 20 2006 06:45:23 )   
Well, apparently it is NOT in all foreign subtitles: it doesn't appear in the French subtitles where I see it here in France, but I do hear it said (I am lucky enough to get it in English).

by - josh773 (Mon Feb 20 2006 07:13:05 )   
Jack says "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Ennis says, "It's alright." Actually, Ennis says, "S'awright."

by - mwyrick (Mon Feb 20 2006 07:22:59 )   
Read the Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay. Read the screenplay. Doesn't anybody read anymore???

It explains it in the screenplay.

by - yaadpyar (Mon Feb 20 2006 07:25:10 )   
Ennis doesn't say anything when he comes into the tent to find a shirtless, yummy Jack. Jack says "It's alright" three times, with the last time souinding more like, "It's over." Again, Ennis says zilch during this scene.

Hey danyelledillon - I'm totally with you on this one. I've seen it 6 times, and I have never thought anything different.

"I feel awful bad about Jack. Can't begin to say how bad I feel."

by - MtBecky (Thu Feb 23 2006 05:40:21 )   
You know....I had to go search for this note again as I went to my second viewing of the movie and purposely watched and listened for these words. I totally never heard this at all! Could it be that there are different versions of the movie floating around? I ask this because the people who say they heard it, are adament about it (And I do actually believe they DID hear it) and the ones that didn't, like myself, KNOW there were no such lines uttered.

Boy, what I wouldn't give to sit down one evening with Ang Lee and ask him about a million questions about this movie....It is such a haunting story. One that is so hard to shake....

by - RobertPlant (Thu Feb 23 2006 05:58:38 )   
Try this, using earphones:

http://s49.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DAGFFVH13CBZ307OVA6YC12WS

I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
over the hills where the spirits fly

by - MtBecky (Thu Feb 23 2006 08:21:45 )   
Oh wow!!! I heard it!! Thank you! I will have to go back and watch it again, (oh darn :O)) and listen better. It IS very subtle but it IS actually there! YES! (Doing happy dance...)

by - MtBecky (Thu Feb 23 2006 08:26:24 )   
....Okay, I went back again
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
Re: About the 'Sorry, It's all right, it's all right' thingie - by yuecito
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 04:56:30 am »
I never heard him say it, but then doesn't mean it didn't happen. Just another reason to watch the movie again. :]
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: About the 'Sorry, It's all right, it's all right' thingie - by yuecito
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 07:30:58 am »
I cant remember hearing the "sorry" from Ennis, but I did hear the "its all right" from Jack.

If Ennis did say sorry, I think it was for rejecting Jack, for turning away from him that morning, for not facing what had happened the night before, even for maybe making Jack wonder if he did something wrong.

When Jack said "its all right" he was saying, "forget all that, just come here and love me"....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection