Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread  (Read 15635 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:27:37 pm »
We're probably getting close to exhausting the list of characters I can imagine finding lovable ("I love everything Aguirre," anyone?). So I thought we could try applying the format to some non-human subjects.

By "reunion," I mean not only everything that happens on the day Jack shows up, but also perhaps going back to when Ennis gets the postcard and ahead to the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene. In addition to onscreen moments (eg, I love the expression on Ennis' face when he looks out the window and sees Jack drive up), we can also mention more abstract things. Such as:

I love the fact that, for four years, Ennis had missed Jack and longed to see him again but had undoubtedly long since given up all hope. Now that it's actually happening, he can hardly believe his luck.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:46 pm »
I love how when they come together in that close, tight, hard hug, Ennis lets out a little grunt, as if letting off air from all the tension that's built up in him for so long fantasizing about and then anticipating Jack's return.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:38:05 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:09:29 am »
I love how anxious Ennis is to see Jack, the way he paces, sits staring out the window, worries that Jack won't show and then the almost palpable excitement when he hears the truck pull in.  lovely

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:36:46 am »
I love the nose-snuggle that Ennis gives Jack at the end of the kiss: he just can't resist Jack and he's lost in the passion, even pulling away!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:01:50 am »
I love the way Jack looks at Alma in an almost challenging way just for a split second after he says "Ma'am" and tips his hat good-bye to her.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:44:12 pm »
I love the way you can almost feel the electricity and lingering passion when they are standing there in the kitchen trying to talk calmly to Alma. It makes ME start breathing heavily just watching it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:00 pm »
I love the way Ennis throws off Jack's hat. Just like Jack took Ennis' hat during the second tent scene. Wonderful acting!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:10 pm »
I love how they clutch at each other's faces.  I just think that's the most acheingly romantic, as Wolf would say, thing you can do when you're face to face like that with your beloved.  It's like having your mouths touching isn't bringing you close enough - you have to feel the very essence of that person with your hands at the same time.  Aaaaaaaahhhh...  I need a cigarette.

(Just separatin' out my two thoughts into two posts.  I had no right doin' somethin' against rules.)
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:50:56 pm »
I love that Jack is just a little surprised by the unexpected forcefulness of Ennis' embrace and kiss, but quickly reciprocates and gives Ennis one back!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:38:02 am »
I love the way Ennis looks at Alma when Jack says "I got a boy.  8 months old.  Smiles a lot."  He wants her to approve of him like you would when you bring your boyfriend over to meet your parents or best friend for the first time.  Yet another exquisite bit of acting by our Heath.
No more beans!