Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread  (Read 15640 times)

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread
« on: May 17, 2006, 08:27:37 pm »
We're probably getting close to exhausting the list of characters I can imagine finding lovable ("I love everything Aguirre," anyone?). So I thought we could try applying the format to some non-human subjects.

By "reunion," I mean not only everything that happens on the day Jack shows up, but also perhaps going back to when Ennis gets the postcard and ahead to the "sending up a prayer of thanks" scene. In addition to onscreen moments (eg, I love the expression on Ennis' face when he looks out the window and sees Jack drive up), we can also mention more abstract things. Such as:

I love the fact that, for four years, Ennis had missed Jack and longed to see him again but had undoubtedly long since given up all hope. Now that it's actually happening, he can hardly believe his luck.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The "I LOVE everything about the reunion" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 08:30:46 pm »
I love how when they come together in that close, tight, hard hug, Ennis lets out a little grunt, as if letting off air from all the tension that's built up in him for so long fantasizing about and then anticipating Jack's return.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:38:05 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:09:29 am »
I love how anxious Ennis is to see Jack, the way he paces, sits staring out the window, worries that Jack won't show and then the almost palpable excitement when he hears the truck pull in.  lovely

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:36:46 am »
I love the nose-snuggle that Ennis gives Jack at the end of the kiss: he just can't resist Jack and he's lost in the passion, even pulling away!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:01:50 am »
I love the way Jack looks at Alma in an almost challenging way just for a split second after he says "Ma'am" and tips his hat good-bye to her.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 12:44:12 pm »
I love the way you can almost feel the electricity and lingering passion when they are standing there in the kitchen trying to talk calmly to Alma. It makes ME start breathing heavily just watching it.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 12:48:00 pm »
I love the way Ennis throws off Jack's hat. Just like Jack took Ennis' hat during the second tent scene. Wonderful acting!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 01:39:10 pm »
I love how they clutch at each other's faces.  I just think that's the most acheingly romantic, as Wolf would say, thing you can do when you're face to face like that with your beloved.  It's like having your mouths touching isn't bringing you close enough - you have to feel the very essence of that person with your hands at the same time.  Aaaaaaaahhhh...  I need a cigarette.

(Just separatin' out my two thoughts into two posts.  I had no right doin' somethin' against rules.)
No more beans!

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 10:50:56 pm »
I love that Jack is just a little surprised by the unexpected forcefulness of Ennis' embrace and kiss, but quickly reciprocates and gives Ennis one back!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:38:02 am »
I love the way Ennis looks at Alma when Jack says "I got a boy.  8 months old.  Smiles a lot."  He wants her to approve of him like you would when you bring your boyfriend over to meet your parents or best friend for the first time.  Yet another exquisite bit of acting by our Heath.
No more beans!

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 10:11:23 am »
I love that they both feel the spark, the connection equally, powerfully, irresistably, undeniably, overwhelmingly.
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 10:13:02 am »
Am I breaking the rules by posting twice?  I'm terrible at rules, y'know...

I love that everything that remained unspoken between them during their entire summer on the mountain, and for the four long years after, is suddenly revealed and confirmed in their kiss.

NOTE by moderator - no you're not - you are posting one thought - PER POST - doin' everything just right!

Keep goin' girl!

Roland
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:09:24 pm by Roland »
"Vice, Virtue. It's best not to be too moral. You cheat yourself out of too much life. Aim above morality. If you apply that to life, then you're bound to live life fully." (Harold & Maude - 1971)

Offline YaadPyar

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 10:14:16 am »
If this breaks the rules, I'm doing it again.  Agueirre ain't got no right to make me do this.

I love that EVERYTHING changes and forever the moment they see each other again.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 10:36:03 am »
I love Jack's smile the moment he sees Ennis and hears "Jack Fuckin Twist!"
No more beans!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 10:49:34 am »
I'll go ahead and break rules, too ;) and add this one:

I love the way Ennis holds Jack's postcard so reverently while he's reading it for the first time and even seems to stroke it with his left thumb, then re-reads it, this time mouthing the words.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 12:53:00 pm »
I love that everything that remained unspoken between them during their entire summer on the mountain, and for the four long years after, is suddenly revealed and confirmed in their kiss.

Yes! In fact, I love even their hug -- the way they run toward each other and fly into each others' arms with such overjoyed faces, and how great a constrast this is to their demeanor when they parted in Signal.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2006, 02:06:08 pm »
I love the full on manly hug, the look in Ennis' eyes as he looks around to see if anyone's lookng at them, the look in Jack's eyes after Ennis kisses him, the joy in their eyes that rises from their hearts and how they have to force themselves back to "reality" to pull apart.  It's so damned clear they belong together!

Rayn
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:08:13 pm by Rayn »

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 08:44:55 am »
I love the way you can almost feel the electricity and lingering passion when they are standing there in the kitchen trying to talk calmly to Alma. It makes ME start breathing heavily just watching it.

Yes I felt that too.  If you read the book it says that Ennis,s hand brushed Jacks and electrical current snapped between them.  You could certainly see the sparks flying in the air!!
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 09:07:43 am »
I love that that scene with Alma takes place in the doorway to the kitchen, as opposed to the doorway to the living room.  The kitchen is the center of domesticity, isn't it?  The irony of Alma and Jack first meeting there never fails to astonish me.
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 09:19:24 am »
OMG!    There is just too much to love in that whole scene!   

From Ennis reading the postcard,

His sitting by the window waiting,

The big smile on his face as he runs down the stairs,

The kiss of course, and the nuzzle made me melt!,

And Ennis being all smiley and giddy when when Jack meets Alma.

But when the boys take off, the whole mood changes.  I feel so bad for Alma.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 11:44:31 pm »
I love that kind of squashed and shocked and amazed look on Jack's face in that brief moment after the first kiss, before Jack pushes Ennis against the opposite wall and they start in again. It's a look that says "all of my wildest dreams just came true and I can't believe it."
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 11:55:10 pm »
I love that kind of squashed and shocked and amazed look on Jack's face in that brief moment after the first kiss, before Jack pushes Ennis against the opposite wall and they start in again. It's a look that says "all of my wildest dreams just came true and I can't believe it."

For the third time today, Mel, excellent description of a facial expression!

And David, you are so nice. I got over feeling bad for Alma on viewing four or five. Not that she doesn't deserve the sympathy. Just that I'd exhausted my supply for her.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 09:50:56 pm »
I thought The reunion scene was great and agree with all your comments. I do think the editing was a bit choppy just before they make contact at the foot of the stairs.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline David

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 09:57:07 pm »

Love the Nuzzle!    :-*

Offline alec716

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 11:07:31 pm »
I love that, at times during the reunion kiss (such as pictured in the post above), Jack briefly to be on the verge of tears -- tears of surprise, tears of need, tears of gratitude, I imagine.  Wish I could ask him!
"... he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream."

gattaca

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2006, 10:01:55 am »
The expressions on both of their faces during this scene are indescribable. I honestly do not think there are words in the English language to adequately convey what they must be feeling.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 10:24:59 am by gattaca »

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2006, 11:53:03 am »

YES ... you've said it so welll, I love that look too.  It's all Jack was wishing for and his wish comes true.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2006, 04:25:51 pm »
I got over feeling bad for Alma on viewing four or five. Not that she doesn't deserve the sympathy. Just that I'd exhausted my supply for her.

In all my viewings, the shock on Alma's face always sends shivers down my spine. And that just after the reunion kiss that makes 'my tummy flutter'. The same way I felt when Aguirre was spying on them, just after the happy tussle. Exhausted, yes, exactly how I felt when I left the theater.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 03:03:46 pm by belbbmfan »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2006, 04:56:08 pm »
A reminder

The "I Love Everything ... Brokeback" forum is a little different from other areas at BetterMost. Guidelines have been posted in the Welcome Centre (first thread, top of page one) and they request the following:

<<You will notice that most of the posts on these threads fall into a format consisting of short "one shot deal" comments that do not require or even encourage discussion. This will not be applied as a "rule" but rather as a guideline. (argumental type comments are highly discouraged)>>

Please try and format your posts to respect this guideline, by using the title of the thread (ie: I LOVE ... about the reunion) as frequently as possible ... and thank you.

Roland
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2006, 02:39:40 pm »
thank you for that reminder Roland. I surely don't want to do anything against rules  :)

I love the way Jack shakes his head as he runs towards Ennis. He's happy (relieved maybe?) that Ennis is so pleased to see him. And that is before the hugging and kissing starts.

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2006, 02:50:29 am »
I love how ennis' ears become super sensitive to a truck engine sound during the waiting.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2006, 02:54:28 am »
I Love ennis wearing his finest shirt to meet his once-lost-love.

Ye-haww!!

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2006, 02:57:43 am »
I love how 4 f**ing years doesn't mean a thing once the boys lay their hands on each other.

that is a 48 months period,

a 1, 460 days more less.

all washed away like it was yesterday

Ye-haww!!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 04:13:05 am »

im not sure how this fits the criteria, or not but one of the things that i kept remembering when i got home after seeing the movie the first time, was in the motel.  ennis smoking a cigarette and laying his head on jacks shoulder, and jack turns his face into his hair, and nuzzles, and smells him.. they says he didnt know they were gonna get into this again,,,kind of like he has wondered out loud, then says oh "oh yes i did, just couldnt get here fast enough..redlined it all the way" to me showing his worries about the feelings still being there, for ennis like he still felt...but redlined it anyway to find out.  one way or another,,,and the happiness he shows at finding it the way he had hoped.

Beautiful mind

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2006, 05:30:41 pm »
I love the way Ennis pushes Jack's hat off and slams him into the wall like a pro, like he has been practising it for all those 4 years.

And I love Jack's look of surprise and happiness.
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

mvansand76

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2006, 06:06:24 pm »
I love the way Ennis pushes Jack's hat off and slams him into the wall like a pro, like he has been practising it for all those 4 years.

And I love Jack's look of surprise and happiness.

It's lovely, isn't it?  :)

Welcome to Bettermost! Please feel free to introduce yourself on the "introduce yourself" thread! Have a great time here!

Mel

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2006, 10:38:48 am »
Thanks, I will go and do that now  :)
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2006, 08:43:30 am »
I love how Ennis leans over the landing, beaming at Jack, and  bounds down the stairs, two at a time.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2006, 08:45:52 am »
I love how Jack & Ennis hug mightily, squeezing the breath out of each other, saying sonofabitch, sonofabitch.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2006, 10:20:09 am »
I love Jack's hair after they kissed and nuzzled....! Sigh....
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 05:26:15 am by mvansand76 »

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 11:51:54 pm »
not sure if i or someone lese has posted this,

I love Ennis did reply to Jack's first post card. he could have not and we will not be here.

Ye-haww!!

mvansand76

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2007, 05:27:49 am »
not sure if i or someone lese has posted this,

I love Ennis did reply to Jack's first post card. he could have not and we will not be here.

I am glad he did too, but they would have crossed paths another way, don't you think? They are meant to be together, even if they never really were together...  :'(

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 06:37:30 am »
I am glad he did too, but they would have crossed paths another way, don't you think? They are meant to be together, even if they never really were together...  :'(

Jack and Ennis are star-crossed lovers, in the same great tradition as Romeo & Juliet. Their fate is written in the stars. They will always be together, until the end of time  :'(

Kerry
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

mvansand76

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 09:53:42 am »
Jack and Ennis are star-crossed lovers, in the same great tradition as Romeo & Juliet. Their fate is written in the stars. They will always be together, until the end of time  :'(

Kerry

Now you are making a hopeless romantic cry...  :'(

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2007, 10:06:32 am »
Now you are making a hopeless romantic cry...  :'(

isn't it warming and wrenching in the same time to know that they will alwasy stumble upon another, yet could never really get that "happily ever after"...

i still awfully sick thinking about this.

I love everything about the reunion, that the floor shook do so hard, it didn't do them a favor...when Ennis introduced his Romeo to his wife.

Ye-haww!!