Author Topic: TOTW 21/07: Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?  (Read 13345 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 21/07: Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?
« on: December 31, 2007, 10:00:42 am »
Happy New Year Brokies around the globe!  :D

Thank you to all participants of our TOTW and Open Forum discussions for keeping things so lively in here! And an official thank you to my sister-mod Katherine/Ineedcrayons. Sometimes it's a bit overlooked because I am the one who posts the introductions, but the TOTW is our joint 'baby' and many of the topics are suggested by her, like this week's for example. Thank you Bud!

This is the last TOTW in 2007, so what could be more fitting than asking about New Year resolutions?

Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?

(That is, if BBM has influenced you to change your life in any way, how is that reflected in your resolutions this year?)

Offline Artiste

Re: TOTW 21/07: Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:32:44 am »
Great subject Penthesilea!!

Changes started in 2007, will continue in 2008!!

Regarding my life and that concerning the BM Annie's story, I aim in 2008 to be, instead of under duress, to be more gay accepted, like to search and develop more gay men related issues!!

One thing too that the Bettermost and the BM movie and story made me also think about is female issues!! I plan to seek that too as freedom!!

It is extraordinary to think about freedom, since fantastic as gay men as well as female issues...are, it seems to-day even in our democratic countries... yes?? !!

May everybody love freedom!! Hugs!! May we all help and be helped to get through difficult parts in order to be free as gay men and ladies in 2008!!

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 04:22:41 am »
What a great thread. :) I think a BBM New Year's resolution I have, is to be more active in Gay/Lesbian/Bi/Transgender causes.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 09:50:11 pm »

I don't do resolutions any more....They are just set ups for disappointment and self recrimination.  I do
make plans that have contingencies. 
      I plan to watch the movie again on my anniversary date,  Jan 5th.  And try and reaffirm my ideas of doing
what makes me happy.  Not always think of everyone else first.  That has been a tenant of mine all my life.  Since seeing the movie, I have made a few changes like that...That was making all my trips possible.

Beautiful mind

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:46:22 pm »
I do go through a small ritual during the new year to come up with resolutions, though I do not feel irrevocably upset if I cannot reach them.

The point of the matter is to do some small thing to improve one's self, by examining the heart, the mind, the soul, and all of our interrelations. What is important to us? What does the future hold? Who are we? We can never be too certain, but the human adventure calls us to be more than bumps on a log.

Is my resolution this year related to BBM? Perhaps, in a long, round-about way. The film affected me in so many ways that it is hard to begin to explain how it has done so, though the book that I completed last year has been able to voice much about how this film affects the human experience. But more specifically, what the film allowed me to do was examine my own life. And that is a beautiful thing. When before I had lost hope for ever being able to get out of my current work situation, was facing long and depressing hours, and was becoming unequivocably upset by my lack of a romantic partner, Brokeback Mountain gradually awoke in me a vast and desperate celebration of life, the universe, and everything. This experience has been chronicled on several threads here on Bettermost, and once upon a time amongst the pages of IMDB. I faced one of the longest nights that I had ever known, a night of the spirit, and it led me to many mystical and philosophical writings of the past centuries. I found myself pining for some existence other than what I had come to call the only one that was available to me, and in that pining found outlets, doorways, and unique friendships that empowered me to reach beyond what I thought were my natural limitations.

In the philosophic musings regarding the film, in the ecstasy of poetry, prose, potential, and purpose, I began to see what I could not see before. Or had once seen but managed to forget.

Last year's resolutions came much later than the new year, for the awakening of my mind and heart had occurred so late in the previous year that I could not justify making any decisions about where the future of my life then would be. But respond I did. And in that response gradually created my new vision of self, expanding to infinity and beyond. I spent nearly 8 months of that year researching, exploring and writing the book Dreamfilm: Brokeback Mountain Explored and received such a loving response to my poetry that I spent an additional 2 months collecting the poetry I had written over the past 10 years and putting those (along with a few others) into a second book which was published. Mystic Madness in the Night still holds a special place in my heart, and in many ways it has been the pristine version of my self, the most easily understood, even if its clarity is often confused by metaphor.

Among the many months of the preceding year, I found myself being called (once again) to write... to write the significant, emotional story that can now be found in the parts of Jack and Guy Raphaelson on the Performance Thread. These parts were so deep and real to me that I "lost myself to him", twice. And many of you who have read this thread know it to be true. Some even warned me that it would occur, that my heart and mind could be so lost to any meager version of reality that might otherwise occur to me that I would perhaps painfully amble through a dark and inner forest. It was painful, at first, and at times it was dark. But now that I realize that through the act of writing, of becoming and enacting a part of a powerful story, a legend, or even a myth, I was creating connections to an infinite number of truths that are both within me and around me, the forest's darkness is curtailed by it's bright and gleaming lights.

Over the past few months, I have been led to and captivated by quite a different storyline with similar recurring themes, and as I have told Brother Patrick, another puzzle piece of my life fell into place. Where before I had faced confusion and an uncertain destiny, now I can see it a little more clearly. It has taken me a little over two years to allow the inner transformation that started with Brokeback Mountain to completely take place in my life.  Many times I had reached out to others here in an attempt to help them understand that it is not the film itself, or even the story of Brokeback Mountain that is the most important. It is how you allow that to manifest in your own life; how you respond to it; and how you use that knowledge to create the meaningful and the good and the beautiful in your own lives, and in others. But so few seemed willing to listen, and I began to feel like a voice calling in the wilderness.

So yes, Brokeback Mountain continues to shape my life, and as I recall again the importance of story telling, and how this ancient and miraculous art leads us to understand more about human nature, emotional nature, and the most basic nature of consciousness, I feel a special connection that was always present but I could not always feel. This special art is in my blood. The songs and plays of the ancient world hum through my being, the modicum of truth that can be found even in the most creative of deceptions singes my ears, and I am reminded continually of what beauty is, of what love is, of what compassion and anger and hatred and fear and sorrow and pride and loyalty and betrayal - of the power of every human connection conceivable by man and his dominion.

In the threads of story, we find the remarkable friendships, the great challenges of spirit, heart, mind, and physical endurance. We find intimate connections, forged, broken, and reforged again. We find the power of a simple breath to take our breath away, and the glance of one eye to leave all others blinded. We find the humor of isolation, the angst of communion, the love of greatness, and the hatred of prejudice. Within the threads of story lays the infinity of possibilities. And if I have discovered nothing else, this past year, it is that I am the Mirror of Infinity.

So here is my resolution... brought about, ultimately, by the waking experience that was Brokeback Mountain... I will allow this power, this recognition that I seem to have, to manifest, and continue to drive, maintain, laud, and proclaim the greatness and importance of story-telling. It is within
this powerful use of symbol and metaphor that the essence of humanity can be found, and whatever my goal or destiny, it is bound inextricably with this belief.
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:48:15 pm »
No.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »
 :laugh:
I like the juxtaposition of Daniel's and Tru's posts (and I like both posts themselves).

I personally have never made any New Year's resolutions and therefore don't have any, BBM-related or not.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »
I make NY resolutions every year, maybe in part because the holiday season leaves me so exhausted, broke, disorganized and fat that I am desperate to get my life back on track. So most of my resolutions are very practical ways to get organized, get my financial affairs in order, eat more healthily, etc.

I do this every year, so in that respect it's not directly related to BBM.

But! This year they are more important than ever, because my life in general is undergoing quite a bit of upheaval that is at least partly inspired by BBM. The message BBM held for me was, if you can fix something, don't stand it. I had some big things to fix, and am in the process of doing so. But it can sometimes get kind of overwhelming.

But it all will be easier if, while I go through it, I'm organized, healthy and financially viable.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 09:25:16 pm »

Heya!

Nice topic Buds. :)

I almost always have one basic resolution, which is to get back into better shape following the holidays.  This usually boils down to a little bit more exercising and a more health-conscious diet following a month or so of decadence during the holidays.  Essentially, it's me trying to shed the few extra pounds put on by drinking all that egg-nog.
;)

So, that's my standing, yearly resolution... clearly not very BBM.  This year, I'm adding a goal of trying to take better care of my health in general (be better about check-ups, maybe join a gym, etc.).

My other standing resolution is very BBM, really.  I always start the new year thinking that I really should try to do something more proactive about finding a significant other... and a long-term significant other.  So we'll see how things go this year.  For the (sad) record, I've never had a long-term relationship in any conventional sense so my track record is horrible.  Connected to this issue is the need to take some more baby-steps out of the closet.  So these things have a lot of relevance to BBM... but are things I often think about around New Years.
 :-\

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 11:22:58 pm »
Essentially, it's me trying to shed the few extra pounds put on by drinking all that egg-nog.

I'm working on a few eggnog pounds, myself.  :P

My other standing resolution is very BBM, really.  I always start the new year thinking that I really should try to do something more proactive about finding a significant other... and a long-term significant other.  So we'll see how things go this year.  For the (sad) record, I've never had a long-term relationship in any conventional sense so my track record is horrible.  Connected to this issue is the need to take some more baby-steps out of the closet.  So these things have a lot of relevance to BBM... but are things I often think about around New Years.

My very best wishes on that resolution, Bud. How true, that's extremely BBM -- and very BetterMost, as well!

I'm kind of in the opposite situation (parting with a significant other). As I go through that process I rely on this site a lot for support, and hope others can do the same.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 10:47:07 pm »

I don't do resolutions any more....They are just set ups for disappointment and self recrimination.  I do
      I plan to watch the movie again on my anniversary date,  Jan 5th.  And try and reaffirm my ideas of doing
what makes me happy.  Not always think of everyone else first.  That has been a tenant of mine all my life.  Since seeing the movie, I have made a few changes like that...That was making all my trips possible.

Happy Anniversary Date Janice!!!

I like what you say about New Years resolutions as well. I don't tend to make any outright resolutions since I think that making positive steps in your life should be an everyday experience. It seems that we do have a common trait in that I too have to watch thinking about everyone else first. I have a tendency to that and I always have. Many times I do that and then I end up mad at myself or I end up hurt.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 11:18:15 pm »
I always make them and then always feel badly about failing. I'm going to call them 'goals' instead:  (in no particular order)

-overcome my more frequent bouts of depression

-find satisfying work and get my mother out here with me

-nurture my existing friendships and make new friends

-be more active physically, theoretically improving mental and physical health and reducing weight

:sigh: and that's just the things I think might be do-able...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 12:00:11 am »
Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?

Um, drink more Whiskey and find a cowboy of my own.     ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:

I always make them and then always feel badly about failing. I'm going to call them 'goals' instead:  (in no particular order)

-overcome my more frequent bouts of depression

-find satisfying work and get my mother out here with me

-nurture my existing friendships and make new friends

-be more active physically, theoretically improving mental and physical health and reducing weight

:sigh: and that's just the things I think might be do-able...

Best of luck in reaching your goals, Lynne. If anyone can do it -- you can! You're very brave.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 07:51:15 am »
Hi all of you,
I can't say that I make New Years resolutions......BUT I'm utterly happy that I went and saw this movie that so got hold of me. I'm so happy for the Internet because my life and world has becomed so much larger and risher (sp?)  :laugh:. I'm saving for a trip to New York, maybe we can meet there some of us... ;).

I want to wish you all a very happy 2008!

Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 08:42:12 am »

I plan to watch the movie again on my anniversary date,  Jan 5th. And try and reaffirm my ideas of doing what makes me happy.  Not always think of everyone else first.  That has been a tenant of mine all my life.  Since seeing the movie, I have made a few changes like that...That was making all my trips possible.

That's a great idea, Janice. I'll do the same on my anniversary date - Sat 26 Jan.  :D

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
Happy Sat. 26th to you!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 06:05:33 am »
Happy Sat. 26th to you!

Thank you kindly, Artiste. The weekend of Jan 26 is a long weekend here in Australia, celebrating Australia Day, so I will have some extra time up my sleeve and might treat myself to watching the BbM documentaries, as well as the movie! A fine treat, indeed!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »
I have resolved to  use that picture of the laundry apartment as my xmess card next year.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• Love is a force of nature
Re: TOTW 02/12: Do you have any BBM-related New Year's resolutions?
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:35 pm »
Hello Friends! Gee its been a long time.  My idea of a BBM New Year resolution is for people across different aspects of society to respect, accept and admire wonderful glbt friends who are out and happy.  Happy New Year to all of my fellow Brokies (its been a whiles since ive been on Bettermost regular)  I think of you, and Jack and Ennis.  Heath too :'(
May you have a healthy, happy and prosperous 2012. Whatever you wish for too!  8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2012, 04:07:25 pm »
I have resolved to  use that picture of the laundry apartment as my xmess card next year.

Great idea, Truman.

In my experience, Jimmy is very generous when you ask permission to use his work.

I have his permission to use the BetterMost bean label he made, which is why I've been playing around with it.

I always tell him what I've done with the label, and I know he enjoys to hear about it.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
Hey Dev! Good to see you and thank you for the Xmess card!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 05:12:53 pm »
Good one, Tru! I love that pic too. It´s my avatar on facebook at the moment.

funny, though, sometimes I find it a bit ghostly. I think it´s the combination of the dark apartment windows and the truck with the headlights on.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 07:29:36 pm »

That may just be my favorite picture ever on the banner.  Gorgeous..

Beautiful mind