Author Topic: The "I LOVE everything about that summer on the mountain" thread  (Read 11439 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Katherine inspired me (remember - imitation is the highest form of flattery).  :)

I love how Ennis watches Jack ride off after he says, "We'd better git unless you wanna sit around tyin' knots all day."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:36:33 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

vkm91941

Re: The "I LOVE everything about that summer on the mountain" thread
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 04:07:33 am »
I love that first little smile Ennis bestows on us in response to Jack's rodeo clowning around.  It's like a flower opening

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:59:12 am »
I love the way Jack flashes Ennis that look that says, "Don't EVEN say it" when the mare startles and rears when he gets on to ride out to the sheep after supper, and the way Ennis leans forward to watch him ride away.

No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 01:01:28 pm »
Barb, I'm so glad you started this!

I love the "happy tussle." After the various tensions of the tent scenes (and mind you, I'm not complaining about those!), this scene shows how relaxed and comfortable they have become about being affectionate with each other -- particularly Ennis, who uncharacteristically initiates it!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 01:04:10 pm »
But I also love the "angry tussle." So much misdirected emotion by Ennis and, eventually, nurturing by Jack. And when they roll down the hill, you can tell how much they'd secretly rather be lovin' than fightin'.

(Sorry to post right after myself, but we're limited to one thought per post and I wanted to contrast the two tussles.)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 01:09:54 pm »
I love the 'You'll run them sheep off again, if you don't quiet down' And the smile Ennis gives after that! He's sooo happy and relaxed, at peace with himself and his life with Jack!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:36:17 pm »
Good one, belbbmfan, and welcome!

I love the way Jack *so* carefully and deliberately asks Ennis "Your brother and sister do right by you?"  It's acheingly beautiful (borrowing from Wolfie again) how much he obviously cares about Ennis and also understands him enough to know that he needs to tread very carefully, here.
No more beans!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:56:02 pm »
thanks, ednbarby. Thought I'd stop 'lurking' and start posting!  :)

I love Jack's expression as he listens to Ennis telling him about his brother and sister. The joy on his face that Ennis is opening up to him! Oh, and that little smile he gives just before he says 'Friend, that's more words than you've spoke in two weeks.' Like he can't believe his luck...
And at the same time, what a sad story Ennis is telling. How lonely he has been...
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 04:04:09 pm »
I love the way Ennis backs up to look at the tent and then says, "Tent don't look right."  This is actually mirrored at the end of the movie when he backs up to look at his mailbox after just affixing number stickers to it.
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:02:59 pm »
Hey, belbbmfan, let me second the welcome!

And I wondered today if "tent don't look right" has a subtext. Like, tent don't look right because you and I aren't in it together!  ;) Course, he wouldn't say that. So maybe more like, tent don't look right ... because its purpose and significance is about to change.

I love the part where, right after Ennis says he ain't had the opportunity to sin (which of course I also love), Jack goes, "Hmmmm!" like, "That's intriguing!" I always laugh at this line, because it reminds me of that post in the old cowboy etiquette thread: "If your camping partner tells you he has never had the opportunity to sin, then you are obliged to present the opportunity."

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 08:20:28 pm by latjoreme »