Author Topic: David's Shutter Bug Club  (Read 497099 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: David's Shutter Bug Club
« Reply #170 on: January 13, 2008, 10:23:51 pm »

and this one with manual

My Colors Mode   Vivid
Tv (Shutter Speed)   1/500
Av (Aperture Value)   5.0
ISO Speed   400

Jess, I must admit I like your manual photo better than the one you took in auto. You are getting very good with your camera and you are close to mastering the camera settings and how to use them. Congratulations!! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2008, 11:02:04 pm »
how cool....you cant' see the glass surround!!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #172 on: January 13, 2008, 11:12:17 pm »
Light Meters

If you own a digital camera, understanding light meters should be important to you because your camera has a light meter built into it. More than likely your camera has several available light meters, and understanding the difference between them can often mean the difference between an okay picture and an outstanding one. Light meters are important because your camera uses the data from them to set the correct exposure for your picture.

You can easily find out which light meters are in your camera by either:

1. Consulting your owner's manual

2. Pressing the "function" or "menu" button on your camera. The function menu will list the available light meters and allow you to switch between them.

Chances are your camera has three light meters; evaluative (sometimes called "Multi Pattern" or "Matrix"), Center Weight Average and Spot.

Evaluative is by far the most frequently used meter among the trio. The evaluative light meter can handle just about any lighting situation and it will set an acceptable exposure just about every time. The evaluative light meter divides the image into multiple regions and metering is performed on each individual region. The camera judges the subject position and background brightness,and determines a well-balanced exposure. If you ever become confused as to which meter to use, set the camera to Evaluative. It is especially good at metering complex lighting conditions, images containing many shadows, or images with multiple and bright contrasting colors and hues.

Center Weight Average meters the image with priority given to the center of the image. The camera determines the exposure based on the brightness of the subject near the center according to the shooting angle used by the camera. The camera arrives at a proper exposure by performing complex mathematical algorithms. (I bet you didn't know your camera is a math whiz, did you?). Use Center Weight Average metering when your subject is backlit (bright light shining behind the subject) or when the subject is surrounded by bright light.

Spot is a different breed of light meter altogether -maybe even a different animal. Because spot meters measure the light only on a specific area. Spot metering lets you adjust the exposure to the subject even when the subject is backlit or there is strong contrast between the subject and the background. When you select the spot meter, a small "+" or box will appear in your LCD monitor. Position the spot metering cross-hairs or box over your subject, and only the area appearing in front of the cross-hairs or inside the box will be metered.

Like I said, if you ever get confused, switch your camera over to the evaluative or multi-pattern light meter. It will work pretty well in any shooting condition. But I encourage you to experiment with your light meters. If you are not achieving an acceptable exposure, switch to a different light meter and try again. Choosing the correct light meter will greatly improve the quality of your photographs. :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #173 on: January 13, 2008, 11:34:57 pm »
Here is a picture of one of my Halloween decorations. I pulled it out so I could photograph it. Believe it or not, it is a haunted house and it has many interesting optic fiber lights on the roof and even on the trees in front of the house. But when you turn it on, it looks like it has been decorated for Christmas! This one was tricky to photograph because the optic fiber lights change colors very quickly. Setting a slow shutter speed mixes the colors together and makes them look too white. A faster shutter speed captures the colors, but under exposes the picture. Bumping up the ISO would help, but too high of an ISO setting would generate image noise. So, this is what I ended up with. My camera's exposure settings are listed below. Perhaps I will try photographingit again later and maybe I'll have better luck then.

Conditions: Dark
Camera Equipment: Canon PowerShot G9
Camera Mode: Shutter Priority
Aperture: f/2.8
Shutter Speed: 1/2
White Balance: Custom
Light Meter: Center Weight Average
Exposure Compensation Value: + 2/3
ISO: 400
Flash: Off
Other: Optical Image Stabilization

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #174 on: January 13, 2008, 11:51:02 pm »
As Kath Day-Knight would say, Rob . . .

"Look at moi, look at moi, look at moi. I have just one word for you, Rob, 'Google'."   ;)   :laugh:

??? ???

Hi folks,
Sorry, but missed out on the weekend (sick), and couldn't take pics of Sydney.
(Seems I might have to book in with Kerry's scary buddies and have a 'procedure').
But at least I might get some time off work afterwards to take pics.  ;D

injest

« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2008, 12:45:10 am »
argh!! I am so disappointed in the pics I took up in Ft Worth....even the auto pics didn't come out good... >:( >:(

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2008, 07:07:28 am »
David, that idea for a gallery is really great.

There are some wonderful photos in the Club, so far, by yourself, Kerry and Jess, and there will probably be lots of other people who will contribute.
Just a thought. It depends what everyone thinks, and how it would work, but could you perhaps do selections of other folk's photos, whilst also leaving the option open for other people to add some of their best?
Some may think that their pics are not good enough, and be shy about adding to the 'special' gallery themselves.

Rob  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2008, 12:44:46 am »
David, that idea for a gallery is really great.

There are some wonderful photos in the Club, so far, by yourself, Kerry and Jess, and there will probably be lots of other people who will contribute.
Just a thought. It depends what everyone thinks, and how it would work, but could you perhaps do selections of other folk's photos, whilst also leaving the option open for other people to add some of their best?
Some may think that their pics are not good enough, and be shy about adding to the 'special' gallery themselves.

Rob  :)

That's a good idea Rob! Maybe we could send them a PM and ask them if it's okay if we post their pictures in the archive, and if they say "yes" we could go ahead and post them in there. Because I've seen some amazing pictures taken by many of our members.

argh!! I am so disappointed in the pics I took up in Ft Worth....even the auto pics didn't come out good... >:( >:(

I wonder what went wrong, Jess? Did you accidently leave your flash turned on? It's strange the pictures in auto didn't come out either. It seems to me something was fooling the camera, like a flash or something.

injest

« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2008, 12:48:30 am »
I think it was the arena...it was dark in the bottom but had strong sunlight coming down thru windows high up...

plus this camera I think is designed more for closeups. My friend has a Kodak that takes great action pics but not closeups...

let me get you an example!

injest

« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2008, 12:52:53 am »

I wonder what went wrong, Jess? Did you accidently leave your flash turned on? It's strange the pictures in auto didn't come out either. It seems to me something was fooling the camera, like a flash or something.

:-\ :P