Author Topic: How do you feel about OT posts?  (Read 30614 times)

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
Re: How do you feel about OT posts?
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2008, 09:45:07 am »
I am reasonably certain there will be no shooting...there'd be too much dumb-ass missing.  ::) :laugh: :laugh:

*groans* lol.   :laugh:
I suppose it doesn,t matter too much if a topic only strays  slightly off topic, if it,s to try and make a point, it,s when it goes RIGHT off topic that I don,t like. I,d give examples but then I,d definately get shot, so I,ll shaddup now. ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2008, 06:54:54 pm »
My take on this subject has been shared by others already..

For me it depends on what the Thread is about.     If it is a Blog area, then it should be open to anything.

It is about BBM specifically then it shouldn't stray far at all.

Some threads are more open in theme.  Common sense should be used.

But nobody should hijack another persons thread on a specific matter.  That is just rude.

Ditto.

I voted that some are OK while others, because of their subject matter are irksome.

I voted this because I have seen OT subjects become just a conversation between two or three select people and any posts put in by others are completely ignored. I have seen this on other boards, I don't mean necessarily here. It is irritating and kind of isolating.

Ditto again. 

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 01:25:53 am »
Arright, enough jawing, lets get some rules about OT and stick to 'em.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2008, 02:10:12 am »
If it is a Blog area, then it should be open to anything.

It is about BBM specifically then it shouldn't stray far at all.

Some threads are more open in theme.  Common sense should be used.

But nobody should hijack another persons thread on a specific matter.  That is just rude.

I agree.  Personally, I'm not that persnickety about single OT posts.  It's just when a whole thread is taken OT that it's kind of a drag.

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2008, 05:04:20 am »
I feel a little shy about saying this, but the kind of off-topicness that can shut me out of a thread is when two or three or four or more buddies take over a thread to tease and play around with each other, ignoring both the topic and the rest of the people on the thread.  Some of the threads here have pages of that.

I'm not talking about blog threads where people visit each other and have chat-type conversations, I'm talking about threads with real topics that turn into that goofy bantering post after post that is better saved for those chat-type threads.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2008, 09:54:24 am »
I feel a little shy about saying this, but the kind of off-topicness that can shut me out of a thread is when two or three or four or more buddies take over a thread to tease and play around with each other, ignoring both the topic and the rest of the people on the thread.  Some of the threads here have pages of that.

I know what you mean. I'd forgotten about those, but in a way they're the worst. Those make others feel not only distracted from the thread but out of the clique.

injest

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:18 am »
I know what you mean. I'd forgotten about those, but in a way they're the worst. Those make others feel not only distracted from the thread but out of the clique.

I think those days are pretty much over so ya'll can just relax. I think those nasty banterers have either gotten the message or been run off one or the other.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2008, 10:15:03 am »

I'm not talking about blog threads where people visit each other and have chat-type conversations, I'm talking about threads with real topics that turn into that goofy bantering post after post that is better saved for those chat-type threads.

I totally agree with you. There are lots of threads like that on here. Whilst it doesn,t make me feel "left out" as such, it,s just irritating, that the entire thread, (and I just KNOW I,ll get shot for this  ;)) gets taken over with inane drivel, to put it bluntly.
Like I said, it doesn,t matter if it goes slightly off topic, if thats needed to make a point, but when you get pages and pages of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual topic, it,s annoying. If users want to discuss things at great length that have nothing to do with the topic in question, they should start a seperate thread. Thats my input, for what it,s worth. Right, shall I line back up against that wall now ready to be shot?  ;) ;)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2008, 02:35:11 pm »
I totally agree with you. There are lots of threads like that on here. Whilst it doesn,t make me feel "left out" as such, it,s just irritating, that the entire thread, (and I just KNOW I,ll get shot for this  ;)) gets taken over with inane drivel, to put it bluntly.
Like I said, it doesn,t matter if it goes slightly off topic, if thats needed to make a point, but when you get pages and pages of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual topic, it,s annoying. If users want to discuss things at great length that have nothing to do with the topic in question, they should start a seperate thread. Thats my input, for what it,s worth. Right, shall I line back up against that wall now ready to be shot? ;) ;)

I am sure nobody will be doing any shooting here, Souxi.  :)

What about the "Anything Goes" forum?  Can posts in there be really OT when anything goes?  ;)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2008, 02:40:10 pm »
I am sure nobody will be doing any shooting here, Souxi.  :)

What about the "Anything Goes" forum?  Can posts in there be really OT when anything goes?  ;)

Sure it,s called "Anything Goes" but again, if the topic strays too far off topic ALL the time, there isn,t really much point in having a specific topic to discuss in the first place is there?  Maybe there should be a "rabbit on about anything that comes into your head" section, then it won,t matter will it. Just a thought.
(listens for gunfire) ;)