Author Topic: How do you feel about OT posts?  (Read 30593 times)

Offline tampatalon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Never Enuff Time
Re: How do you feel about OT posts?
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2008, 04:20:04 am »
So I don't stress over what I post is too off topic, I usually just hang out in my blog now
so I don't offend no one.

TampaTalon^">
"Lean on me, Let our hearts beat in time, Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long. Who cares where we go on this rutted old road, In a world that may say that we're wrong."--EmmyLou Harris

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2008, 08:57:32 am »

Awww that's a little harsh Souxi .... we're just people getting together and having some fun ... isn't that what it's all about?  And I remember the two of us getting sidetracked with a little bit of Hugh Jackman oogling once ... it was very nice,  and I don't think it did any harm.

Yes indeed susie, having fun is indeed what it,s all about, but I still stand by what I said. When there are pages and pages of  waffle, that you have to wade through before you get to anything remotely to do with the actuall topic, it,s annoying, and 9 times out of 10, if that happens, I won,t bother reading the thread. Rules is part of life, there is rules everywhere and we all have to abide by them, like it or lump it. btw, I do agree that looking at pics of Hugh is very nice indeed and  certainly doesn,t do ANY harm atall, well except maybe to my blood pressure. ;) :)
At this rate I shall be full of holes. Shall I jump off a cliff now to save anyone the bother?  ;)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2008, 09:02:53 am »
Awww that's a little harsh Souxi .... we're just people getting together and having some fun ... isn't that what it's all about? And I remember the two of us getting sidetracked with a little bit of Hugh Jackman oogling once ... it was very nice, ;D and I don't think it did any harm. :D

You see, now that makes me sad Tampatalon.  If everyone starts worrying about posting Off Topic, we're all going to end up hiding away in our own blogs ... that's no fun!!  :-\

(Just a bit of common sense is needed that's all ... not rules)

Susie  :)

What Susie said!  8)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2008, 09:41:58 am »
I totally agree with you. There are lots of threads like that on here. Whilst it doesn,t make me feel "left out" as such, it,s just irritating, that the entire thread, (and I just KNOW I,ll get shot for this  ;)) gets taken over with inane drivel, to put it bluntly.
Like I said, it doesn,t matter if it goes slightly off topic, if thats needed to make a point, but when you get pages and pages of stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with the actual topic, it,s annoying. If users want to discuss things at great length that have nothing to do with the topic in question, they should start a seperate thread. Thats my input, for what it,s worth. Right, shall I line back up against that wall now ready to be shot?  ;) ;)

I just wanted to say that I am very glad that you said this, Siouxi and Ellemeno too, because I totally agree with you.  Don't feel funny about saying it. 

In fact the reason that I think I stopped posting anyplace at all except for my blog, is that for a while it seemed like this stuff was going on all over, and well, I didn't like it either, I just found it annoying.

I don't think that threads should be moderated too much in terms of intelligent discussion that might be slightly off topic, but I also agree that the off topic nonsense should be discouraged as much as possible.

injest

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2008, 10:53:05 am »
well I can see this thread is going to make hurt feelings and people that won't want to talk to each other. I think everyone has pretty much said what they have to say....I dont think it is necessary to continue but if ya'll prefer...

I tried a little experiment this morning....posting where two people who on THIS thread complained about being left out were posting. Did they respond to me?

No.

Souxi, you dont like reading 'drivel'? well I consider this obsession with Hugh to be drivel...yet here we are talking about him....and it is ok with you. So your drivel is ok....just not everyone elses?

Cameron, Thank you for sharing that. Nice to know how you feel. Sometimes all it takes is to let people know how you feel.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2008, 11:01:57 am »
So I don't stress over what I post is too off topic, I usually just hang out in my blog now
so I don't offend no one.

I don't think anybody has to worry THAT much about it.

Some people post more OT than others, and some probably go a bit overboard from time to time. But I don't know of anyone who does it so offensively that they should feel the need to exile themselves from the regular threads.

I think this poll has helped to raise awareness, and clearly there are a range of opinions. But most people seem to fall somewhere in the middle, and rules about what constitute "somewhere in the middle" are hard to write and hard to enforce uniformly. In most cases, like Susie said, it just takes a bit of common sense.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2008, 11:07:46 am »
it just takes a bit of common sense.

Agreed! 

I agreed with another new member that it is difficulty to know where to start with a forum, when it is as busy as this one.  There are sometimes 30/40 pages of posts since the thread was started, and much as I'd love to read through them all, I just don't have time and want to join in NOW!  So, keeping a thread on topic helps us new guys join in the discussion.  If it goes off topic halfway through, well, we're lost. 

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:11 am »
well I can see this thread is going to make hurt feelings and people that won't want to talk to each other. I think everyone has pretty much said what they have to say....I dont think it is necessary to continue but if ya'll prefer...

I tried a little experiment this morning....posting where two people who on THIS thread complained about being left out were posting. Did they respond to me?

No.

Souxi, you dont like reading 'drivel'? well I consider this obsession with Hugh to be drivel...yet here we are talking about him....and it is ok with you. So your drivel is ok....just not everyone elses?

Cameron, Thank you for sharing that. Nice to know how you feel. Sometimes all it takes is to let people know how you feel.

Deary me we are grouchy today. ::) I,m not obsessed with Hugh fgs, I just think he,s gorgeous. I might harp on about him a bit, but I don,t post endless pages and pages of stuff about him and take over entire threads about him do I?  And your missing the point. I only object to endless pages of drivel when it takes over the entire post and you end up loosing site of what it was about in the first place.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2008, 07:03:12 pm »
I thought the one with I view... would be more Ok, but on second thought that too is limited!! So, I clicked on the last after that! And here is my explanation, oui, oui, yes, yes!!

I do not want Bettermost to become a con game for any member nor non-member; I want and demand FREEDOM!! Since we are in democratic countries, and for humanity!!!!

With free speech we, all of us, can advance further and further such as thruth, democraties, life, love...

Of course some words like mine are, at times,  be seen as irksome, at first; and, likewise is such from others too!! So far, from negatives, come out the richness to enrich the World on Bettermost: by and for gays and non-gays, female and ladies issues, straight or others, etc., for all subjects!!

It is better to understand when we quote Annie's story or the Brokeback Mountain movie...but  since we feel more confortable therin, we all (or many) of us learn and educate in wondrous loving ways as Ennis, Jack, and others did - with the exception of the murderers!! You want some samples?? Stability searched, and peace results in us all too!!

Much can and need to be said on Bettermost, when you let us all FREE!!

Hugs!! Qu'est-ce sera, sera; whatever will be, will be... as your song and mine go on!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »
I want and demand FREEDOM!! Since we are in democratic countries, and for humanity!!!!

With free speech we, all of us, can advance further and further such as thruth, democraties, life, love...

Well, with a couple of exceptions, there is freedom of speech on BetterMost. Those exceptions involve personal attacks, pictures with nudity and sexually explicit written material.

Aside from those things, you can say anything you like. What we're discussing here is not whether you can say something, but where.