Author Topic: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John  (Read 114136 times)

injest

Re: The Twist family studies the Gospel of John
« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2008, 12:23:48 am »
sometimes I wonder why I even think about religion anymore. Seems sometimes that all it does is cause pain. I miss the way it was when I was a child and Jesus was kind and religion was something that was happy and full of joy...

Offline Wayne

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #101 on: January 27, 2008, 12:32:46 am »
The Mormons point to 2 phrases in chapter 10 as supporting 2 unusual points of their doctrine.

First, in verse 16 Jesus says "I also have other sheep that are not in this fold; I must also bring them, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one fold, one shepherd."

According to the Book of Mormon, Jesus came to the Americas during the day or two that passed between his crucifixion and the empty tomb. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints says that in verse 16 Jesus was referring to the people of the Americas who he would speak to during that time.

Second, LDS doctrine says that we are all intended in the afterlife to be literal gods, each with our own universe, just like the man we know as Yahweh is the god of this universe and Jesus and Lucifer are his sons. There are many other universes, each with their own god and his wives and children.

So the LDS say that Jesus was referring to this reality about the universe when he quoted the phrase from Psalm 82:6, "You are all gods, and you are all sons of the most high."

As a staunch backslidden non-practicing Unitarian-Universalist myself, I claim the heritage of all religions, as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. The Mormon version might as well be true if anybody wants it to be.    ::)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

injest

« Reply #102 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:40 am »
but you won't kill anyone over it??

;)

Offline fritzkep

« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2008, 12:34:57 am »
Widge, how can a UU tell if he's backsliding?

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Wayne

« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2008, 12:42:50 am »
Widge, how can a UU tell if he's backsliding?
:laugh:   Exactly !!

I think they might say I'm out of balance from reading the Bible too much and not enough of the Rig Veda !!    ;)
When you put people in charge of the government who are committed to proving that it doesn't work, you can be sure that they will cause it to not work.

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2008, 12:51:17 am »
but you won't kill anyone over it??

;)
:laugh:   No I will not.

Don

injest

« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2008, 12:55:23 am »
:laugh:   No I will not.

well it can't really be a religion then can it??

>:( >:(

;)

Offline Wayne

« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2008, 12:57:41 am »
In chapter 11 we begin to look at the question that for me is the most fascinating mystery of the New Testament. Who was this man whom Jesus loved?

Bible study tomorrow: be there or be talked about!!     :laugh: ;) :-*   Nite y'awl!!   -_-  -_-

Don

Offline Wayne

« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2008, 12:59:35 am »
well it can't really be a religion then can it??
As a staunch backslidden UU, I'm ok with it being a religion or not being a religion.    :laugh:

Don

injest

« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2008, 01:02:34 am »
As a staunch backslidden UU, I'm ok with it being a religion or not being a religion.    :laugh:

and really, that is what is important, isn't it? what YOU feel in your heart...not what someone else thinks or tells you. your relationship (or lack thereof) with a higher power is between you and him/her/it...