Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 51786 times)

rtprod

OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:59:46 am »
A little tip -- plodding, overlong, convoluted, unintentionally funny, self-important and boring. 

>:( >:( >:(

There -- said it all in once sentence. 

SKIP IT. 

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 11:06:43 am »
Oh, that's too bad.  I like the book.  Taking down rt's note to skip it, maybe wait for DVD to see how bad it is.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 11:09:09 am »
See and I enjoyed it....it was a little slow at times I thought and VERY self important as you said but all in all I liked it...

But I also have a bit of a bias because of Tom Hanks/Ron Howard

I personally recommend....but then I'm not a critic so what do I know?

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 11:24:33 am »
Watched the news on TV last night about the critics' reactions in Cannes to this film... Apparently they hated it. They laughed at some point when it was NOT meant to be funny. I haven't read the book, didn't want to, but was wondering whether I'd go see it, what with all the hype. So it's overhyped then.
I'll keep my money to go and watch "Transamerica" instead, which has just been released here. AND maybe go back to see "C.R.A.Z.Y", which unfortunately is going to go unnoticed with DA VINCI coming out at the same time.
Da Vinci C overhyped and bad. C.R.A.Z.Y=no hype, and excellent!
Life (or the world of movies) is unfair.
rt, have you seen C.R.A.Z.Y? (Not being released in the States, but still, since you are in the know...)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 11:45:35 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

claireluna

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:29:47 am »
I read the book twice and i've planned to see the movie this week end...but the critics don't seem to be very good.
Anyway,i'll see how the adaptation is...but the book is so great that i think it'll be difficult for the  movie to equal it.
Books are always said to be better .

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 11:34:14 am »
Books are always said to be better .

And BBM proved it could be otherwise (i.e, AS good) :)
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 11:39:56 am »
Yeah, in my reader's group, someone suggested "I thought stuff like this went out with CHARRIOTS OF THE GODS in the 1970's."  It was an interesing point. Charriots of the Gods, the book, made into the docudrama purported to show extraterrerstial influence in our history and possible breeding. It was interesting and very popular to read, but the docudrama not so.  I believe in the 1990's, the author of Charriot of the Gods said he might have misconstrued things, not given out all the facts, etc. Who would have thought? 

Gotta watch those film critics, there under pressure to trash this film, so some Vatican observers say... Intl newspapers don't want ppl to desubscribe to theirs because a film critic just loved the Da Vinci Code. I find it hard to believe in the U.S.A, but the leadinig Italian newspapers? Who knows.

rtprod

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 11:57:18 am »
rt, have you seen C.R.A.Z.Y? (Not being released in the States, but still, since you are in the know...)

I have not seen this one since it has not made it stateside yet, though I do know that it beat Deepa Mehta's excellent Water for the Genie.  Am very interested in seeing it.

rt

vkm91941

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 12:51:35 pm »
A little tip -- plodding, overlong, convoluted, unintentionally funny, self-important and boring. 

>:( >:( >:(

There -- said it all in once sentence. 

SKIP IT. 

NO disrespect intended rt but I rarely agree with critics...you say plodding, overlong, convoluted, unintentionally funny, self-important and boring.

Well this E*X*A*C*T*L*Y how I reacted to the book so sounds to me like Ron Howard and company did a bang up job with the material....what more can you ask.  ::shrugs::  Rarely do books translate well to film unless there is an excellent screen writer.  The HP series does it pretty well as does most of the Gresham novels but most disappoint mightly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 12:54:49 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 12:53:55 pm »
NO disrespect intended rt but I rarely agree with critics...you say plodding, overlong, convoluted, unintentionally funny, self-important and boring.

Agreed!  And like I said....I personally enjoyed it!  Now don't get me wrong.....its no Brokeback....not even in the same universe but I did like it nonetheless...