Author Topic: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI  (Read 52196 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: OT: It's a BUST guys: DA VINCI
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 03:09:33 pm »
Well I'm not tryin to start a debate so please don't think that I am.  And don't get me wrong I have absolutely nothing against any critic...even Ebert and Roeper and Medved...they give their opinions and although I may not always agree I respect it. 

My only point was that just because the critics don't like it doesn't mean its a bad or good film....and you have to be the critic yourself and develop your own opinion....and you can't do that until you see the film.  Thats all I'm tryin to say.... :)  JMO!

vkm91941

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 03:54:07 pm »
On the role of the press and our film criticism profession...  In our film critics prof. association, and it's one of the big ones with year-end voting and awards reported nationally, there's much discussion about this topic and my thought is as follows.  The role of the film critic is to objectively look at the film and ask these questions:

1. What did the director try to achieve?
2. How well did he achieve this end?  

Whether or not it was worth doing is a moot point. 

That is all there is, folks.  And though we'd like to think that subjectivity has a great deal to do with it, it really shouldn't be any criteria for a legitimate film critic when evaluating whether or not a film "works."  One of the best barometers you can employ is to separate personal taste from whether or not a work of art succeeds on its own terms.  Many times, whether or not we "like" something has little to do with how "good" it is.  

When you can say, "I understand that this film is very good and qualifies as a success.  However I personally didn't like it because...," then you know you're there in terms of your ability to remove yourself from your evaluation and talk objectively about the merit of the work. If you are worth your weight as a critic, you have to get outside yourself when it comes to subjects, genres, likes and dislikes. 

Now see as a film, and more exactly a story lover,  I approach every film I see this way.  But my heart and my visceral reactions are my ultimate barometer for personal like or dislike of a film. Even if I don't like a film I can talk all day about it's good and bad points but in the end if it did not move me in some way it fails me.     Perhaps this, and the fact that most film critics are men, is why I disagree so frequently with most critics.  Although so far, at least as far a I am aware within the confines of CT, you and I agree more than we disagree rt   ;)

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 04:01:03 pm »
I don't think it's right to clump all critics together into one group and say: "the critics didn't like it", or "the critics aren't always right"..etc, 'cause these "critics" often vary in opinion (i.e. how many movies got one thump-up and one thumb-down from E&R? Loads). Anyway, like some of you said, if we care enough for the story/book, we'll see it ourselves and make our own opinions, but for those who don't really wish to see it, this thread could be the say in whether or not these neutral people will bother to see it. Thanks for starting it, RT.

However, I will see it, not because I like the book (I haven't read it) or not because of Ron Howard or Hanks, but because I promised my mom I'd see it with her (she's a huge fan of the book). So in a few days I'll add my two-cents on the film. Take care, y'all  :-*

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2006, 04:05:23 pm »
I don't think it's right to clump all critics together into one group and say: "the critics didn't like it", or "the critics aren't always right"..etc, 'cause these "critics" often vary in opinion (i.e. how many movies got one thump-up and one thumb-down from E&R? Loads).

Well when I say 'the critics' I ain't clumpin them up.....I'm using it as a general term to describe a bunch of critics or maybe even just one...I'm not sayin that all the critics didn't like it.....just the way I talk is all - sorry if it isn't proper or doesn't make sense!    :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:08:57 pm by christopher_SLAYERS »

rtprod

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2006, 04:36:48 pm »
Now see as a film, and more exactly a story lover,  I approach every film I see this way.  But my heart and my visceral reactions are my ultimate barometer for personal like or dislike of a film. Even if I don't like a film I can talk all day about it's good and bad points but in the end if it did not move me in some way it fails me.     Perhaps this, and the fact that most film critics are men, is why I disagree so frequently with most critics.  Although so far, at least as far a I am aware within the confines of CT, you and I agree more than we disagree rt   ;)

And there you go.  Vic, you just perfectly summed it up. 

Oh, and there is a female critic I love--Manhola Dargis in the NY Times (formerly of the LA Times).  She is so astute, tough and well-written. 

And yes, we usually do agree, don't we?  Great minds was it?  (patting us on the back, Vic, lol)   ;D

rt
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 04:55:33 pm by rtprod »

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2006, 04:51:42 pm »
Oh, me too babe.  We just can't have that happening.  I'd have to get on a plane and work it out with ya.

rt

*plotting*

Will arguing with you get you on a plane out here to work it out with me, rt??

*thinks*
*tosses solitary tomato at rt*
 ::)

Well, back on topic for a second.. I had an opportunity to go and see Da Vinci code last night...and didn't go. I totally agree with you Barb. If I had WANTED to see it, I would have been there. But having been a huge movie fan for over 20 of my 32 years, I have learnt to follow the general tide. If the majority of critics are loving something, then you can bet its a well-made movie, which always get 2 thumbs up from me. If most give it the thumbs down, there's usually solid reasons. I mean, the guys who do this for a living do know what they're doing, yeah??  Not all, of course. Roger Ebert case in point.. *sniff*  Okay, i'm still trying to get over the whole "Crash" thing.

Hate to sound like a lemming here, but if it ain't good enough for my little rt, then I'm not wasting my time. I don't have enough time as it is!!!  ;)
Chut up!

rtprod

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2006, 05:02:47 pm »
*plotting*

Will arguing with you get you on a plane out here to work it out with me, rt??

Hate to sound like a lemming here, but if it ain't good enough for my little rt, then I'm not wasting my time. I don't have enough time as it is!!!  ;)

Sheyne, my one and... whoops, damn, can't use that one anymore...  Anyway, yeah, cross me babe and you'll hear my Oy Oy Oy coming faster than you can get your bum to the Virgin Blue terminal at Brisbane Airport.... 

Wow, the women of CT are really giving me a bump here today -- got my girls out in full force on this thread lol....

rt   :-*
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:07:59 pm by rtprod »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 05:15:12 pm »
Wow, the women of CT are really giving me a bump here today -- got my girls out in full force on this thread lol....

rt, we're just all trying to stay in your heart as we wait for the day that you meet Jake or Heath!  ;) lol

Nah, we loves ya.  :-*

Or...erm... we hates ya..there, will that get ya on a plane to come find me?  ;D

rtprod

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2006, 05:45:59 pm »
rt, we're just all trying to stay in your heart as we wait for the day that you meet Jake or Heath!  ;) lol

Nah, we loves ya.  :-*

Or...erm... we hates ya..there, will that get ya on a plane to come find me?  ;D

I'll take that love any way I can get it.

Yeah, guess I'm a gettin on that jet plane soon.  But not to Newfoundland or Brisbane, I'm afraid.....  Uh, yeah, afraid.   lol     ;D

rt
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 05:48:04 pm by rtprod »

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 05:52:58 pm »
I'll take that love any way I can get it.

Yeah, guess I'm a gettin on that jet plane soon.  But not to Newfoundland or Brisbane, I'm afraid.....  Uh, yeah, afraid.   lol     ;D

rt

"Afraid"? Surrrrrrre...  ;) I don't think "fear" is the exact emotion there! On a plane? Oh, I must have heard ya wrong.
Here we go again, transforming a perfectly innocent thread...  :)