Author Topic: What I dislike about the BM movie is that in the trailer Earl is shown in an [b]  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
May I ask again, now as a thread?

What I dislike about the BM movie is that in the trailer Earl is shown in an negative light!!

Do you feel that is so??

Why?

Hugs!! May gay men in the whole world be safe and straights too!!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
I don't really understand, Artiste.  You mean in the promotional trailers for the movie, where they show a few short scenes?  I don't remember seeing Earl in a trailer like that.  (I might be wrong though.)

Offline Artiste

Thanks LauraGigs!

Yes, was it not that in the promotional trailer?

Tell me,

hugs!

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
I don't recall Earl being shown in any of the promotional trailers.

But anyway, why do you think Earl is portrayed negatively?

In my opinion, Earl's death is presented in the film as being a very tragic, awful thing.  If the film had no sympathy for Earl, his death wouldn't have been treated as tragic.

I have another thought too. You know how character names tend to have some significance?

Ennis del Mar = Island in the sea.  (Isolated and lonely)
Aguirre = Eagle eye.  (Authority figure. Observing from above.)

What about the two men Ennis described?  Not Tom and Andrew, Jim and David, Eric and Steve, etc.  But Earl and Rich.

Earl = minor royalty, a man with land, wealth and distinction.
Rich = wealthy and blessed

If only one man in that couple had a name with such happy implications, I'd be open to the idea that maybe they were random name choices.  But it's too much of a coincidence that both men have such names.

So why did Proulx pick these names?  The implication is a positive one, IMO.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
:).msg76482#msg76482 date=1155922493]

These guys appear xclusively in the trailer.
But who is that with the tire-iron:
A friend?  Or a prowling assailant?

I think this is what you are talking about Artiste....right.

We never did know for sure who they were.  Maybe Earl and Rich,,,maybe mechanics that
could have killed Jack.  No answer to that....

Beautiful mind

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
^ Those are definitely the mechanics from a deleted scene.  In the scene, they are eyeing Jack while he and Randall say goodbye after meeting for a fishing trip.

For futher details, go here http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Deleted_Scenes/_Deleted_Scenes_Frame.html and click "sneering mechanics" on the left side.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
I think Earl is portrayed and discussed in a way to make the viewer feel a great deal of sympathy for him and remorse at what happened to him.

He's certainly meant to be a tragic figure... something to make the audience really worry/ feel bad about violence against gay men like Earl.  

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club

To show the authenticity of Ennis's phobia.  Fear of the tire iron...

Beautiful mind

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
^ Those are definitely the mechanics from a deleted scene.  In the scene, they are eyeing Jack while he and Randall say goodbye after meeting for a fishing trip.

For futher details, go here http://www.findingbrokeback.com/Deleted_Scenes/_Deleted_Scenes_Frame.html and click "sneering mechanics" on the left side.

Yes they are, because in the credits at the end, they are listed as the: "killer mechanics". Poor Jack. :'(

Offline Artiste

Thanks all of you!!

Great to know these things... from all of you! Am very surprised that so far all women answered, then souxi!! I thought that maybe mostly gays would have jumped at this right away!!

Souxi... if that pic is of the killer mechanics, then why this image as portrait??

LauraGigs... what does sneering mechanics mean??

Much need to be said still about Jack murdered or not, and about Earl too...

hugs!!