Author Topic: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?  (Read 47186 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2008, 09:38:07 pm »

Sorry, I'm late to this conversation, and haven't read through all the pages, so I'm just going to answer the OP.

The timeline of the movie allows that Lureen may have been, but since the writers stuck very closely to the short story when doing the screenplay, and there was never a whisper of doubt of the paternity of Jack's son in the story, I say no.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #131 on: September 02, 2008, 12:09:45 am »
and I still think bobby was jack's son.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2008, 12:00:11 am »
Merci brokebackjack !

Why do you think that?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #133 on: September 03, 2008, 03:00:51 am »
There is nothing within the short story, on any reading, to indicate he wasn't Jack's son. It implies the opposite...while of course stating very little lol

Offline Artiste

« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2008, 11:36:56 pm »
Yes, of course Lureen was pregnant... BEFORE she met him! It stands to reason... that she was!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #135 on: September 07, 2008, 06:51:03 pm »
There is nothing within the short story, on any reading, to indicate he wasn't Jack's son. It implies the opposite...while of course stating very little lol

in the ss you are correct, nothing is mentioned in the ss that implies Bobby is not Jack's son. But in the film there is the inconvenient matter of the date on the fairgrounds announcer booth the day that Jack met Lureen, and coupled later with how old Jack stated that Bobby was when Jack reunioned with Ennis in Sept 1967.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2008, 07:31:35 pm »
Merci brokeplex!

Your post brings up good points... as likely proofs!

May I add also looks that Lureen provides could be such points too ??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2008, 10:03:29 pm »
It's possible...but I just don't buy it.

Lureen found Jack to be the love of her life. She MAY have been pregnant but aside from the date within the film....

Remember too, the film is one of the few scripts which managed to adhere so closely to it's original 'print' story.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #138 on: September 07, 2008, 11:35:22 pm »
It's possible...but I just don't buy it.

Lureen found Jack to be the love of her life. She MAY have been pregnant but aside from the date within the film....

Remember too, the film is one of the few scripts which managed to adhere so closely to it's original 'print' story.

I agree, there is nothing in the S.S  to suggest it. I know the film introduces us to that possibility,but I have searched for evidence in the story and just cannot see any.
Proulx does leave the reader to come to their own conclusion regarding some things.Probably in line with her, a story is not finished until it is read idea.That being the case I feel she would have introduced some ambiguity in the story if it as an element she wanted the reader to question.
I suppose maybe the film and ss have to be treated as separate entities,but why would there be such a major difference between the 2.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #139 on: September 08, 2008, 12:02:11 am »
I think ambiguousity is the hallmark of BOTH film and SS, so if there are those who can reach the author's ultimate goal by believing Lureen was pregnant by someone other then Jack, why not?

I don't, however. As played by Anne Hathaway, Lureen became a bitter disappointed woman, ravaged by her relationship with Jack. He was the love of her life, and could not give her what she was willing to give to HIM.

In the ss, we are given a far-sparer report, indeed almost nothing...one reason Annie Proulx herself said film could be a more effective medium then print. Diana Ossana fleshed out that character for the film, not Annie, although Annie was kept informed and in tandem, step by step.

I may be wrong but deduce from AP's enthusiastic approval that she felt the character of Lureen was true to her own vision. After all, she WAS crazy about that interpretation of Lureen!