Author Topic: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?  (Read 47235 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 11:31:56 pm »
Thanks huntingbuddy and others!!

You say huntingbuddy: [Now whether Lureen discussed her sex life with mom or not is questionable.  I don't believe oral contraceptives came into existence until the early 70's?  is that correct?  So Mom might have had "the talk" with her, but considering the time period, and if she grew up on a ranch or farm, I highly doubt it.  Sex was just not discussed.  The only thing we know for sure is she has to have the car home by midnight!/i]

Huntingbuddy and to all, I am NOT saying that.

Rather, I would think that Lureen's mother knew about her daughter being pregnant by ANOTHER man way before Laureen saw Jack!! Lureen's mother had to see the physical changes changing in Lureen's body!!

Too: It could very well be that Lureen never said anything about her pregnancy with another man before Jack to her mother, but Lureen knew that she was indeed pregnant and had to get quickly a husband! Right? Or maybe?

Awaiting your news and that from all too,

hugs!!

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2008, 02:25:29 pm »
I wrote to Larry McMurtry a couple of months back to ask him about this but so far there's been no reply. If I do get one from him, I'll certainly let people know.

I,like Panthesilea, favour the story line of Jack getting Lureen pregnant on their first encounter. This forces marriage upon them - abortion, presumably, not being an option - and would explain Lureen's father's dislike for Jack and his readiness to get rid of him once the baby has been born. Surprising as it may be in a movie where so much attention has been given to detail, I think the suggested timeline which makes Lureen pregnant before she meets Jack is simply a "goof".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2008, 03:02:07 pm »
I,like Panthesilea, favour the story line of Jack getting Lureen pregnant on their first encounter. This forces marriage upon them - abortion, presumably, not being an option - and would explain Lureen's father's dislike for Jack and his readiness to get rid of him once the baby has been born. Surprising as it may be in a movie where so much attention has been given to detail, I think the suggested timeline which makes Lureen pregnant before she meets Jack is simply a "goof".

This puts my interpretation of the marriage and pregnancy in a nutshell.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2008, 07:41:10 pm »
Jeff, may I disagree?? !!

To me, Lureen was pregnant BEFORE she met Jack!! Proofs seems to be there... many!!

What do you, and you all think??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2008, 11:23:14 pm »

That rodeo arena sign with a date on it goes by so quickly that I have yet actually to see it when I'm watching the film. Without checking, I won't swear to it, but I think Jack's "eight months old" line is taken from Annie Proulx's text (I admire McMurtry and Ossana for using as much of AP's dialogue as they did)--and the story gives no indication when Jack and Lureen met.

Hi Jeff!

In the Childress Co. rodeo scene, slow your DVD playback and freeze while Jack is still bucking the bull. You will see the dates listed in Aug 1966 on the signs above the announcers booth.

In the post card scene freeze while Ennis is holding the card, and you will see the post mark as Sept 1967

Jack when meeting Alma remarks that his boy is 8 months old, do the math.

Lureen was pregnant when she was 'in a hurry" with Jack behind the barn in the T-Bird.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:06 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, thanks to all too!

Brokeplex, you say:
Lureen was pregnant when she was 'in a hurry" with Jack behind the barn in the T-Bird.

Brokeplex and all too: I felt that too, in the movie that Lureen was pregnant BEFORE she met Jack!! But who is possibly the father of that child? And may we all guess much more than that said so far?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2008, 11:40:22 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, thanks to all too!

Brokeplex, you say:

Brokeplex and all too: I felt that too, in the movie that Lureen was pregnant BEFORE she met Jack!! But who is possibly the father of that child? And may we all guess much more than that said so far?

Hugs!

I'm pretty sure we will never know for sure. But, Jack not being the father of his grandchild does explain some of L.D.'s attitudes toward Jack, and also why L.D. would have been willing to pay Jack money to "get lost".

Jack should have taken L.D. up on his offer and moved back up to WY, put a down payment on a little ranch, and started his own cow and calf operation. At least he would have been nearer to the love of his life, Ennis.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2008, 11:50:59 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You say: I'm pretty sure we will never know for sure. But, Jack not being the father of his grandchild does explain some of L.D.'s attitudes toward Jack, and also why L.D. would have been willing to pay Jack money to "get lost".

Brokeplex and others, may I reply that Lureen could maybe be described as a sex kitten, like in those days the French actrice I think was called that?? The Italian one too?? Anyway, she had to hide her pregnantcy from her father?? Any clues to that??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2008, 11:56:36 pm »
do you mean Brigitte Bardeau?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:34 am »
Yes, Brigitte, I think is lesbian?

Do you think Lureen was lesbian?
Would that make her quickly pregnant somehow (no office ladies nor gentlemen!!)
May I dare ask you and all too?

Hugs!!