Author Topic: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?  (Read 47154 times)

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • well, I won't
Re: TOTW 02/08: Was Lureen pregnant when she met Jack?
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2008, 09:45:43 pm »
It would take a math-hardened Brokie to figure out Lureen's gestation!

I think the film-makers intended the backseat scene to tell us that was when Bobby was conceived. 

You'd have to have seen the film upty-nine times to figure out this little discrepancy.  (Clearly, that describes more than a few of us.)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2008, 10:37:41 pm »
Southendmd, you are an md??

If you look, it seems that Lureen was at least pregnant when she met Jack, at least a few weeks and maybe one month (or more)!! ??

So, if that was so, then her physical, etc., changes had started?? Tell us as an MD??

Hugs!

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2008, 09:00:23 am »
So, in answer to the question, I must submit...maybe. This could help to explain the perception that some have voiced that the child cast as Bobby in the Thanksgiving scene does not resemble Jake's Jack very strongly.
Perhaps Bobby is really the son of the marshall who is later to become Jack's handler in Witness Protection.

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2008, 02:32:52 pm »
I think Lureen is absolutely fabulous, a strong female character who contradicts Alma’s quiet acceptance of her life.  She is strong minded and wilful, and I have no doubt that her parents, both Mum and Dad, adore her. 

I also have no doubt whatsoever that Jack was Bobby’s father.  Lureen’s Dad would have been more than happy to get rid of Jack and help her out as a single mother.  She had the family backing and I don’t think that she NEEDED a husband to validate her pregnancy. 

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2008, 03:24:55 pm »
I also have no doubt whatsoever that Jack was Bobby’s father.  Lureen’s Dad would have been more than happy to get rid of Jack and help her out as a single mother.  She had the family backing and I don’t think that she NEEDED a husband to validate her pregnancy. 

Lureen was ahead of her time in many ways, but in 1967 having a baby out of wedlock was still pretty scandalous. I don't think either Lureen or her dad would have been comfortable with that.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2008, 03:47:53 pm »
Thanks all of you!! Such great comments!!

Ineedcrayons, may I quote you:
Lureen was ahead of her time in many ways, but in 1967 having a baby out of wedlock was still pretty scandalous. I don't think either Lureen or her dad would have been comfortable with that.

Ineedcrayons, may I be in complete agreement with you. Maybe you know and some of you do too, that I think that Lureen was a lesbian, at least bisexual!! Welcome to see my thread on that, you and all are!!

As to wedlock, even if her father and mother would have accepted that, Lureen is like her dad and mom, descent so to raise that child to be in a safe way: safe being that no such scandal could exist not only for themselves who are accepted in society, but for that big money bussiness; they are all 3 high class or somewhat, at least wealthy to a certain extent; her dad loving money and comfort like TV, big machines to sell so expensively, and their daughter likes that money and business too, - she is raised that way as well!! Lureen is their ONLY child!! For that??

I see: Lureen was indeed pregnant before she meets Jack and so grabs him and holds on...to him for many wondrous reasons. I applaud her!

I used to live in a city where one of my brother's lived, in front a of huge mansion which had only wedlock girls... far, far away from their parents's homes, since they had to be protected in many ways. One such girl was young and she visited my brother and his wive often; wild she was... if I may say that expression. She gave the child away! WE all love that child now grown up... and married and with two lovable children like their parents!! Qu'est-ce sera, sera, then and with some now; now such youth, some, keep  their child, and so that buiding is gone!!
What will be, will be; life is coloured.

Lureen would not have given that child?

Hugs!!

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2008, 03:49:34 pm »

I think I was really trying to say that her Dad was happy to support her as a single mother, therefore there was no reason for her to find a husband.  But I do see what you're saying-I suppose it was alright in those days to be a mother whose husband had abandoned her than a single pregnant female.  

I still don't think that she was pregnant when she met him-to be honest, that really just comes from my opposition to the notion that, because she's sexually confident, she got pregnant.  This is too much of a cliche for my taste!  

I may be wrong, but has it been established through time lines etc that the marriage to Jack happened around the same time?  They may well have been married for a good while before the baby came along.  I'd be interested to see if anyone has worked this out.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »
I just don't see Lureen being pregnant when she met Jack, if  for no other reason then this: she was competing in a rodeo, where falls and indeed, life threatening accidents occur frequently. If she wass pregnant she would never have entered that competition
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2008, 06:14:11 pm »

Good point Jack...Nevermind the throwing up and nausea that is often apparent in the first trimester.
I can't imagine riding a horse and being nauseous...yikes

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2008, 08:18:41 pm »
If Lureen was only one month or less pregnant, she could easily do her rodeo and see Jack for the First time?

Without the nausea. Right? May I suggest.

After all, she has an eye on Jack, before she rides her horse and leaves her hat to fall, like a lady does in the courts for a man to pick it up, I figure?

Hugs!