Author Topic: Jack was maligned unfairly  (Read 14142 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Jack was maligned unfairly
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2008, 12:51:52 pm »
I am presently in dire pain since I moved furniture
Oh, Artiste, I am so sorry to hear that!  :'( You stay off your feet and rest today, please!!

So, it was Ennis who trained Jack? In many ways. Was that because, Ennis had right away realized that Jack had an immediate crush on him, at that trailer to get themselves a job from Aguirre??
No, that would have been manipulative, and I don't think Ennis had that in his nature. Their friendship was like a dance in which fearless Jack made the first step while fearful Ennis pushed back or retreated. But there was another force within Ennis and that was the power of love, the need to connect. Even tho he tried to control and repress it, at times it asserted itself and what a blessing that was for them, and for us!

But, where (from whom) does Ennis get this way to method how to control a man?
Part of it was animal instinct, but he also learned from his father and his brother. One time Jack reflected that "I never figured you to throw a dirty punch" on that last day on the mountain, and Ennis tried to explain it by recalling how his father advised him to beat his brother up at odd times when K. E. was not expecting it. "The lesson was, Don't say nothin and get it over with quick" Ennis said. And then tumbled out the story of Earl and Rich. From his father, Ennis learned how to control others' behavior through force. He didn't do this in a conscious way, and thus when it was time to let his guard down, to let himself loose, he didn't know how to do it. He was either unresponsive and impassive, or he was wildly out of control.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2008, 08:04:14 pm »
Front-Ranger, thanks very much!

You say about Ennis: He was either unresponsive and impassive, or he was wildly out of control.

Front-Ranger, may I say to that that Ennis sounds straight, I mean much more heterosexual acting therefore. What do you think?

Concerning Earl and Rich, I am concerned since nobody seems to be talking about them. Tell me... please?

Must rush as am fatigued! With a long day, have just few energies to create smile and

hugs to you mon amie!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2008, 03:39:27 pm »
Artiste you're as bad as my aunt--stop screwing around with the furniture!!!  Hope you feel better soon...

Earl and Rich are important in that their experience was a primary factor in Ennis unacceptance of his gayness; I mean even Annie Proulx said Ennis was self hating, he could not deal with his 'homo-ness'. This does not make him any less likeable, it makes him even more lovable IMO. he had it so hard, was so incapable of breaking the walls of 'The Box'.

But Jack, I like Jack. Incompetent or not, Jack Twist was great.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2008, 03:59:10 pm »
Thanks brokenbackjack!

I am not screwing my furniture. Got hole in the back if you want to do so! Ha! Ha!

Back to this thread and your comment, of course Jack was maligned unfairly; so were the two gay guys living together, right??

But no one wants to talk about those two!! Except, you but a bit (excuse my butt!!) So, why, why, why?

Hugs!! May gay men be safe!!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2008, 04:26:17 pm »
You say about Ennis: He was either unresponsive and impassive, or he was wildly out of control.
...Ennis sounds straight, I mean much more heterosexual acting therefore. What do you think?
Many people straight AND gay are this way. In fact, my mother was like this. She grew up in a home with a lot of sisters and brothers, and wanted to avoid conflict at all costs. Then, whenever she couldn't stand it any more, all the pent-up feelings came out in a rush.

Concerning Earl and Rich, I am concerned since nobody seems to be talking about them. Tell me... please?
I will come over and talk about Earl and Rich on the topic set up for them, I promise. But, for some people, they have trouble talking about it and some can't even watch that scene in the movie!! Can you blame them? It's horrifying!

Hi, Jack!! I know you love your namesake, and thanks for reading/writing!! I am just as Jack-obsessed as ever!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 07:25:40 pm »
Thanks Front-Ranger!

My mother is like yours. Tells me often not to questions anyone! May I say!

Concerning your saying: I will come over and talk about Earl and Rich on the topic set up for them, I promise. But, for some people, they have trouble talking about it and some can't even watch that scene in the movie!! Can you blame them? It's horrifying!

Front-Ranger, there is such a thread on Earl and Rich already?? Are these the two gay lovers: as Ennis said: two old... birds?? You will see later why I asked you that and from others!!

Hugs!!