Author Topic: Is Jack still alive?  (Read 25868 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Is Jack still alive?
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:28:16 pm »
Is Jack still alive?

Is this a possibility? I think so... in more than one way or proof.

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

Re: Is Jack still alive?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:41:48 pm »
Yes, is Jack still alive??

Don't forget that men do NOT talk.

Ladies do. Some anyway.

Concerning Jack's death, Lureen talks.

Jack is still live??

Come on, dare to comment, that is a time wherein something special is going on...
hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:59:52 pm »
Believe it or not, a former member here once opined elsewhere online that Jack did not die at all, but moved on from Lureen, his family, and Ennis for that matter, and Lureen and Mr. and Mrs. Twist concocted and repeated the tire-explosion story both to save face and to punish Ennis. I found and continue to find this line of speculation outlandish, and nowhere supported in the text of the story (or the evidence of the film either).

Think about the weaknesses of this argument. For starters, there is the returned postcard stamped 'DECEASED'. Furthermore, Lureen includes the details on the body's cremation, the ashes being divided between her and Jack's parents, and the stone being placed in Jack's memory in Childress. That's a lot of detail whose accuracy Ennis could potentially check for himself. This is not to mention the resolve that Mr. Twist shows in placing his half of Jack's ashes in the family plot--another element whose physicality Ennis could conceivably confirm at a future time. Ennis never doubts Lureen's confirmation of Jack's death (that he died, rather than how he died) because he has no reason to do so...and neither, I think, do we. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »
Thanks very much moremojo!

I am surprised by your comment, but not that much; I do like it!!

You note: Believe it or not, a former member here once opined elsewhere online that Jack did not die at all...

Moremojo, may I say that that is a strong probability or a possibility. At least, a wishful one. I do not think that that member is the only one to do so in a smilar way.... or so. There is one here on Bettermost that said something similar. And I tend to be starting to think so too!! Will anyone else dare to add?

As far are you say moremojo: Think about the weaknesses of this argument. For starters, there is the returned postcard stamped 'DECEASED'.
That or something similar had happened to me. To others too I read, even if they were not  dead! In my case, since 4 had beaten me leaving me for dead in that city where I fought  for 20 years plus a neighbour who was a criminal opening up crack houses and worst in our good neighbourhood, I had to continue to protect myself and so the post office helped me. Before that, I often did get letters in errors, at first one in a while, than a dozen or more, even hundrenths, from persons I never knew, never did nor ever will - that is still a mystery to me, but facts; my friend and friends did not beleive me concerning those letters from other cities not belonging to me nor in my city, but they were as surprised as I was when they saw them, so was the post office!!

As to your other points stated about weaknesses of such argument, I will re-read and let you know later... if you like, since I have to go walk mother's dog, and take out her garbage, etc., to help her.

Awaiting more news from you and from all, say just a moment: what about witness protection program???

hugs!! May all gay Jacks and others still be alive if they had too do so and be happy and safe!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 01:37:53 am »
if you mean a living Jack alive today in real life, no.He's dead.  But Ennis? yeah, I think he's alive
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 01:49:33 am »
Is Jack still alive?

Is this a possibility? I think so... in more than one way or proof.

Hugs!

why would you ask this question? do you have trouble accepting his death, I know it was very hard for me. perhaps that is a useful topic for this thread:

Why is Jacks death so hard for us to accept, in spite of the overwhelming evidence in the ss and film that he died?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, thanks brokenbackjack, thanks moremojo!!

May I answer all of you!!

Of course, like you say brokeplex, I had and have still trouble accepting Jack's death... like my W. (lover was murdered too I figure). Maybe these hard to comprehend things (murder, death, etc.) take time... what (be sad about??)??

Anyway, I do believe more and more that Jack is still alive, in the BM movie. There are some possible clues to that.

I figure that I have found some clues. Help me find others guys (and girls)... please.

Yes, brokenbackjack, I think there are clues in the BM movie that Jack is still alive like Ennis is at he end of the movie!

Moremojo, can you re-find that story you mention... any proof(s) there given Plus any other(s) such stories?

Hugs!! May all gay in the world be safe!! That can be a clue??

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 02:27:30 pm »
Moremojo, can you re-find that story you mention... any proof(s) there given Plus any other(s) such stories?
The arguments were made by the founder and moderator of the following online discussion group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WildWestHistory_GayMen

This is currently an age-restricted group, so you will need to have a Yahoo account, be logged on, and be sure that you have your settings to approve access to 'Adult' groups in place before you can even access the homepage. You will need to become a registered member of the group to have access to the message archive there, in which the arguments to which I refer can be found (assuming that that post is still there).

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 07:28:23 pm »
Thanks very much moremojo!

Wow, such protection.

Could you seek that, ask permission to copy and use it on Bettermost? Please

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 07:10:20 pm »
Well, in the story as written Jack is really dead. Really, Most Sincerely dead. As dead as if a house had fallen on his head or he had melted Artiste.

Jack's dead.

That was the crux which  made Brokeback great. It was concieved of as a Greek tragedy in short story format

Offline Artiste

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 08:14:11 pm »
Thanks brokebackjack!

May I say that I am not so sure that Jack is dead; that one, his death, we can believe; one can also think that he is alive and not dead even if the movie seems to tell us that: his passing away!!

I may have a proof... that Jack is still alive at the end of the movie. At least, I think Jack is alive and someone framed his death in that BM movie.

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 04:20:30 am »
Artiste, what do you see in the film which makes you think that  Jack remains alive? I'm really interested here. You have a view of things which is 'outside the box'.

People with no box can see things others don't but even without a box I don't see jack as being alive. It would negate the meaning and tragedy of the story.

So I'd really like to know what leads you to think this

Jack

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 10:41:36 am »
Well, in the story as written Jack is really dead. Really, Most Sincerely dead. As dead as if a house had fallen on his head or he had melted Artiste.

Jack's dead.

That was the crux which  made Brokeback great. It was concieved of as a Greek tragedy in short story format

Truly a great short story and film.

For me the tragedy is just a great if Jack lived and had just given up on Ennis. If Jack refused to see Ennis again, Jack would still be just as dead for Ennis as if Jack had physically died. The "Greek Tragedy" analogy is interesting, but I think the greatness of both the film and the short story is in their deadon explanation of what the "tragedy" of the closet is really all about.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 11:15:01 am »
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks brokebackjack!!

Brokeplex, I will reply later, since that is heavy for me to think about... right now.

Brokebackjack:
Since you asked brokebackjack, I really think that Jack is alive still at the end of the BM movie... but that is a secret told or untold??

I think that maybe Lureen tells us that Jack is still alive (or nearly dead); that is what I think so far. She seems to hint that somehow, I feel. Maybe that is what that actress feels? Or the director wanted? Or the screen writers wanted? Or another wanted? It seems to be there, in many ways.

I can not help but think that, I awake now more than once in my bed, and think about it many days! But to find out, especially, you have to see Lureen in another light; but nobody wants to see that from what I note even on Bettermost; some or maybe one did, but was not understood and so he went away on another site, I am told; but he had another view much different than mine, I seem to think and note.

To see that Jack is still maybe alive... you have to place your light on Lureen: HOW do you think?

Hugs!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 03:29:49 am »
Brokeplex, Greek tragedy is not my idea, it is what Annie did. She has said this publicly in forums and privately to people here on both BM and the DCF. It is a tragedy, Attic in all essentials, which could have been but is not in a play form since she doesn't really know how to write a play. She used those principles in the format she is master of, the short story.

bbm is the first successful--brilliantly successful--case where any english language author managed to achieve this. Again, bbm is completely, completely based on classical principles. Tragedy is its ESSENCE. The characters are destroyed by their own flaws.

If you do not get this you miss many clues, many lessons. You can miss the forest for the trees.

THINK GREEK.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2008, 03:33:43 am »
ARTISTE..I LOVE YOU BUT WE WILL DEBATE THIS LATER MON AMI [lol].

now is for heath.

i still cannot believe this shit.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 08:29:37 pm »
Brokeplex, Greek tragedy is not my idea, it is what Annie did. She has said this publicly in forums and privately to people here on both BM and the DCF. It is a tragedy, Attic in all essentials, which could have been but is not in a play form since she doesn't really know how to write a play. She used those principles in the format she is master of, the short story.

bbm is the first successful--brilliantly successful--case where any english language author managed to achieve this. Again, bbm is completely, completely based on classical principles. Tragedy is its ESSENCE. The characters are destroyed by their own flaws.

If you do not get this you miss many clues, many lessons. You can miss the forest for the trees.
 THINK GREEK.

OK "forest guide", rather than tell me how sadly clueless I am, why don't you offer links or references to the interviews which you have pointed out here rather than just restating your point with a sneer.

For my part I have read several scholarly essays in "Reading Brokeback Mountain" which do point out some of the classical allusions and techniques in the short story. But in reading those essays I haven't noticed that any of them claim that, to quote you, "Brokeback Mountain is completely, completely based on classical principles." Maybe you see something I don't see? 

OK, so unzip and lets compare.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 08:47:46 pm »
OK "forest guide", rather than tell me how sadly clueless I am, why don't you offer links or references to the interviews which you have pointed out here rather than just restating your point with a sneer.

For my part I have read several scholarly essays in "Reading Brokeback Mountain" which do point out some of the classical allusions and techniques in the short story. But in reading those essays I haven't noticed that any of them claim that, to quote you, "Brokeback Mountain is completely, completely based on classical principles." Maybe you see something I don't see? 

OK, so unzip and lets compare.
Brokeplex that was not stated with a sneer.

If you would LIKE to have it stated with a sneer, please advise me, as there is NOOOOObody who can do it better.

Just give me half a chance

« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:51:58 pm by brokebackjack »

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 08:53:03 pm »
Brokeplex that was not stated with a sneer.

If you would LIKE to have it stated with a sneer, please advise me,as there is NOOOOObody who can do it better.

Just give me half a chance

OK, so I'll just have to accept that you're not interested in explaining your point of view further .......a dog barks the caravan moves on.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:06 am »
Thanks brokenbackjack, thanks brokeplex!!

Brokenbackjack, may I ask you to note that my reply was done before Heath's passing was known by authorities in NYC!! I was not at my New York City art studio then nor before nor since!! I only saw news about Heath after supper (after 5 or near 6, if I remember correctly). Of course, we all are sad... then and now. I pray that we all are happy too that Ennis helped us all too!!

I appreciate your help.

I like brokeplex questions or comments too, and yours.

We are all in pain then and still, and we all need help... and we all can help too, may I suggest in many amiable ways!

We can all be kind to each other!! Even in such hard sad times, as Annie and BM movie tells us... in order to help each other and love which is grand like their acting and Heath as a person was!!

Hugs to you brokebackjack, hugs to you brokeplex!! We all LOVE you Heath!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2008, 12:22:34 am »

Brokenbackjack, may I ask you to note that my reply was done before Heath's passing was known by authorities in NYC!! I was not at my New York City art studio then nor before nor since!! I only saw news about Heath after supper (after 5 or near 6, if I remember correctly). Of course, we all are sad... then and now. I pray that we all are happy too that Ennis helped us all too!!

I appreciate your help.

We are all in pain then and still, and we all need help... and we all can help too, may I suggest in many amiable ways!

We can all be kind to each other!! Even in such hard sad times, as Annie and BM movie tells us... in order to help each other and love which is grand like their acting and Heath as a person was!!

and hugs back to you too Artiste!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2008, 05:20:40 am »
 Brokeplex,

Injest as moderator was very right to contact me about my response  to you, very right to point out we are among friends here. Her statement about most of us being upset right now is the truth. Her suggestion that we need to take a deep breath and THINK before hitting the send button is totally on the mark...

I became irate at what was percieved ---wrongly--- to be nasty condescension on your part, mistook ordinary grumpiness for an attack and jumped all over you. No, Brokeplex, I'm not wiggling out of this one; what I said was wrong, nasty and against everything BetterMost stands for. It was an intentionally meant insult from me to you and I am mortified at having done it. Please accept my apology, it will not happen again. I would also like to apologise to anyone on the thread who may have read that post. We do not come here for crap like that. We come here because we all love Brokeback.

Just because I am upset is no reason to spread it around. You are probably just as upset. It will not happen again, and I think both of us have learned something here....

Attacking another poster is not acceptable. I don't like reading such things from others>>>> which makes doing them even MORE unacceptable.

Regarding your request that the 2 of us  "unzip to compare"?? Well, it would be counter-productive... since age 14 I have won that contest 9 x's out of 10  :o  roflmao. On the other hand.....at age 50, unzipping is inappropriate. so.....back to your request. Hopefully I can  answer what you asked like an adult and not some greying child.  ;D

Annie relies on an informed readership when she writes her work. She does not spell it all out, her readers often need to infer and extrapolate  a larger meaning from her allusions. She expects her readership 'to fill in the blanks.'

When it comes to the classical, ie, Helleno-Romanic  allusions within BBM there are many...she made Jack a Bull Rider [prehellenic/minoan] for example... and one is expected to grasp and extrapolate other things from those references.

But that is NOT what I was referring to, Brokeplex. And I have to go waaaay off topic to answer the question, so I hope it is worth it.

When I mentioned missing the forest for the trees, I was referring to Annie's actual construction of the story, the style used when she wrote Brokeback Mountain .

With Brokeback, Annie accomplished successfully what no other modern English language writer has managed to do>>>she successfully transmuted transmogrified and transformed the principles of  classical Athenian drama into modern short story format.

Aeschylos or Sophocles would recognise her technique instantly.  It is blatantly classical, blatant yet subtle. She wrote a drama using principles developed 2,500 years ago. She wrote a tragedy in prose, not verse. Yet the verse is there, poetry within prose. It was not a play. I don't even think she knows how to write a play.  She sat down and wrote it in a genre  she's comfortable with, the short story.

Ok, you wanted to know when and where she said these things.

There is a problem in answering that question. Unfortunately there are no 'major documented interviews' in which she said any of this. There are two exceptions to that statement, but neither was  in any major publication. They were questions answered for us, for brokies from BM and Cullen.

Back in Oct 2006 I asked her questions about the technique and construction of Brokeback. Ellen put my interview and hers into the Daily Sheet over at Cullen. I'll look up which issue and send you a link. On that day she  also spoke to us about other matters which we did not write about in any detail, or even at all. It would have been both inappropriate and a breach of trust.

During the same day in Wyoming, FrontRanger asked Annie a marvelous question about the importance of classical references within the  Brokeback story. If you contact Lee she can probably link to the BM thread she put the answers in, although a much more detailed version was written by her in response to the rabid questions people had for her in one of the analysis threads over at Cullen. She or Miniangel may have a link to that post.   In February[?] 2007, after an awards ceremony in Boulder we asked her about other aspects of the story. I remember my question, asked while she signed my book,  was again about technique, although we also spoke about the 30 years it took THIS Ennis to say I Love You to my now wife [it was pretty funny lol].   

She was gracious enough to give long and  detailed answers to brokies at other times during the last what, 12-14 months or so, largely on the subject of the story's construction and  technique. Answers to questions we are meant to discover for ourselves, she NEVER gives, ever. She guards the legacy of Brokeback Mountain well. 

The thing is, virtually none of that has ever been in public, nor is any of it documented.

Nor should it be: they were not interviews; these were conversations.

Look this is just my opinion, but I firmly believe the key to a better understanding of Brokeback Mountain in all aspects not directly concerned with specific questions lies within Annie's construction of her story, within the way the tale was crafted. When you understand her technique, much--MUCH--falls into place. When you understand the construction, MUCH becomes clear.

Brokeback was concieved FROM ITS CONCEPTION within Annie Proulx's mind as a work which progressively unfolded within a series of flashbacks. This is paramount to understanding the story. The unfolding flashbacks have an importance which transcends  the linear chronology. The emotional build within the reader--rather then a linear chronology--is what was kept first and foremost  when she constructed Brokeback.

The Prologue was concieved within her mind from the very beginning as the piece which sets the tone, sets the stage for her entire story. Over before it began, in more ways then one....The importance of the Prologue, while it might be sometimes OVERestimated, should under no circumstances be UNDERRATED.

It was left out of the initial publication in the New Yorker completely by mistake. That mistake was made by the 'typesetters', nobody really knows exactly how to this very day: in other words 'the classic screwup' lol. When she first saw it, she  almost had a coronary and felt her masterpiece had been mutilated, wrecked, rendered unintelligable. THAT is how important her prologue is to the story of Brokeback Mountain.

The technique of her story is circular rather then linear. In more ways then one, The End is the beginning, while the Prologue is The End. Again, the story is over when it begins....in a sad way, just like Jack and Ennis.

OK, circularity within a story is common enough. Attempts to recreate classical drama are common enough. Flashbacks are common enough. What is unique is her taking all of that, and combining the ingredients so successfully you don't even realise she's done it. That story as crafted is a stylistic tour de force. One which WORKS.

Understanding the technique as written will bring us no closer to answering those questions we want answered: "Is Jack Still Alive?", "Did Jack Quit Ennis?", "How Did Jack Really Die?".

Why?

As constructed--and as the author has said on MANY very well documented occasions--we, the readers, are MEANT TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS. THE ANSWER TO ALL OF THEM LIES WITHIN OUR OWN EXPERIENCE AND HEART. There is no right or wrong answer. Every reader has his or her interpretation, his or her belief. That is what she WANTED when she wrote it!

The characters are destroyed by their own inner character flaws and defects, which is the hallmark of classical tragedy. Hence, the story bites deep, as classical tragedy bites deeply within our hearts to this very day.

In the classic Euripidean manner Brokeback Mountain leaves us with more questions then answers>>>>which is why we are HERE! Hell, Annie is the AUTHOR---and SHE wondered what happened to Ennis after Jack's death. Yes, she is their creator: yet she wrote herself a private short story about Ennis, wrote it to exorcise the ghosts of Jack Twist and Ennis DelMar, wrote it so she could SLEEP lol!!!

Read it again, read it as if you were reading one of the great Athenian dramatic works from the Golden age. Look at it from that standpoint. Your interpretation will...shift.

I hope this helps a bit.  And again, apologies for my previous nastiness. Somewhere in my files I have a few unpublished pieces, including a talk she gave us on 'Cowboy Myths and Realities' which partly discusses Jack and Ennis; if you would like to read any of it, let me know.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 07:19:03 am by brokebackjack »

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2008, 05:41:03 am »

I appreciate your help.

Artiste, I didn't even know you had a studio in NY. It must have been awful to hear the news on television. I was 'lucky' in that FrontRanger called me to let us know. If she hadn't we would have heard watching television as well. What a shock you must have had. ....

Offline Artiste

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2008, 12:01:37 pm »
Thanks brokebackjack!

Yes, I could have heard about Heath's passing from any of my art studios either New York City, Los Angeles, Toronto, Montreal, Vermont, San Francisco... and believe me that I am still in shock and could not sleep for over five days!! Nor think!! Nor even do chores!! Some on Bettermost did help me cope... better and thanks to them and to you - and hopefully I mutually helped too!! WE still are very sad and in dire times with this; we, I feel, have to think and feel that Heath wants us to be happy, amiable and loveable above all, since he selected his role as Ennis and made it real for LOVE between all humans on Earth - that is what I see via Annie, the BM movie and others... like on Bettermost and by others even my Mother, my niece... and millions maybe billions of others on this Heavenly Planet for us to be BEAUTIFUL!! I have watched on TV daily on very numerous stations in the USA, Canada, France... and I think that Heath touched all (or nearly) countries in the world not only with his passing, also doing Ennis as he did for all men and all women, no matter what sexual orientations or anything else!! Be happy to see you in person in Montreal at my art gallery exhibition next end September 2008 and/or early Ocotber??!! - if you like. Divine... is Quebec, which is 400 years old + now!!

That being said, of course much more can be added, like Annie and the BM movie does: for mutual help... among other mysteries of life for LOVE!! Since the movie, I have had many communications from gay men who discover me, even some caught in countries where they will be murdered by their country or religion if anybody finds out; a few from soldier(s) in Iraq and if the USA Government finds out they will be in prison or court marshalled I guess, put out because they are gays; sad and I see that Annie is against that - so is the BM movie being pro-life and/or pro-gay... pro-for all humans!!

I have read what you write now to brokeplex and I admire your comment a great deal. Be assured that I will re-read it many many many times as I find it wondrous... wonderful!!

May I say that Annie is of French-Canadienne stock (for the lack of a better word) which is great as a culture. Did you know that... surely you do; you know that that helps her create such tour de force?? I think so. A suggestion... as among other great talents/cultures she has. You want to know how as to that culture?

Hugs!! Have a wonderful day!! I am happy awaiting your news Jack!!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 04:43:28 pm »
http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=17094.msg552102#msg552102

this is a link to the Annie Proulx article at cullen's TDS, with contributions from   brokies like Tellyouwhat, FrontRanger, me  and AdrianDelmar. It's the Oct27, 2006 issue at Casper, Wyoming. It has a great deal of information within it, of benefit to anyone who likes discussing the story. If it wasn't for this thread I'd have lost it myself>> had to hunt for it---and now I've saved the page.

again OT, but I don't know where to put it.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:46 pm »
Thanks brokenbackjack!

Since we have to be a member to see that, maybe you can re-find it and place it here for all to see?

Please.

Hugs!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2008, 06:41:47 am »
Below is the text of articles regarding Annie Proulx from TDS at the DCF 10/27/06. Edited by tellyouwhat/Ellen Raff If this thread is not appropriate, please move it to the best spot. Thanks

Annie Proulx Participates in Panel at Equality State Book Fair in Wyoming

Forum members who traveled to Wyoming last week hoped to gain new insights into our understanding of Brokeback Mountain, Annie Proulx’s work, and of Ms. Proulx herself.  We got all that and more.  We took as many notes and pictures as we could so we could share this experience with you.  Thanks to Brokeback_1, Horsewrangler (adrian.delmar), and Front-Ranger for contributing to this report.

The session (held at the Nicolaysen Art Museum in Casper) started on time at 2:15.  The other authors waited in the wings, and allowed Annie to pick her seat first.  Those of us who camped in the front row all day could not believe our luck when she sat directly in front of us.  We can testify that her photos convey only a fraction of her presence and style in person.    

Annie Proulx / photo by Katrina Morris-Schilling

Cowboy Myths, Cowboy Realities

Each member of the panel was asked to speak for ten minutes about the topic Cowboy Myths/Cowboy Realities  The moderator, Wyoming Poet Laureate David Romtvedt, asked the authors to speak in alphabetical order, but if “Proulx” had not been conveniently last, it would have been hard on whoever followed her.  Award-winning poet Linda Hasselstrom owns a working ranch and commented that, for her, “cowboy” is a verb.  Abe Morris, retired rodeo star turned author (got out of rodeo – too busted up), spoke of growing up in New Jersey and following his dream of becoming a “cowboy” until he ultimately embodied the myth.  John Nesbitt, a writer of western-themed short stories and novels, and instructor at Eastern Wyoming College, talked about how cowboy mythology fuels his stories.

Abe Morris, former rodeo professional who wrote the
memoir My Cowboy Hat Still Fits / photo by Horsewrangler

When it was Annie’s turn, she read prepared comments, saying that she is not an “off the cuff” speaker.  She said the image of the cowboy is one of the most complex in American history, and mentioned a long list of cowboy types:

“…we have historic cowboy, the trail driver, the outlaw, the rodeo rider, the wanna-be, singing cowboy, revolutionary.  Cowboy artist, Hollywood stencil, license plate cowboy, sexual icon, poet, fashion model, virtuoso, horseman and gun handler.”

These “types,” she said, only emerged after the real work of cowboys, trail-driving, herding and ranching had become less important.  The original cowboys, she said, had been “uneducated ill-paid rowdy Texas teenagers …(who) were single as it was a general prejudice against hiring married cowhands.”  Due to their natures, they became known for going on youthful “sprees” in trail towns, which contributed to the myth of the cowboy as a symbol of independent men who could do “what they wanted without interference.”   

BetterMost participant Front-Ranger summed up one of Annie Proulx’s answers to an audience question:  “She reminisced in an answer to a question about driving along a highway in the middle of the state, coming over a ridge, and seeing three waddies (cows) plastered with snow, just like a Remington painting. She referred several times in her talk to the artists Remington, Charles Russell, and Will James, as well as Jackson Pollock, who was born in Wyoming but moved away before he was a year old. The Western artists, she said, created the myth of the cowboy as much or more than the writers did.”

Front-Ranger also asked an important question about the mythical nature of cows in many cultures.

“As soon as I said, ‘you made Jack a bullrider,’ I saw Annie reaching for the microphone and my heart started beating wildly! She said that yes, the parallels are many, not only to ancient Greece, but also to Biblical times, that the New Testament describes Christ riding into Jerusalem twice ‘on an unbroken colt’ and that the Old Testament mentions bulls several times. ‘If I make a character, I depend on the reader to bring his or her experiences like this to the story, because I can't spell it out,’ she said. She knows that certain words, phrases, and situations have resonance in the culture that can be implied, and these are invisible parts of the story that only the informed reader can access. She chose the words carefully in order to ‘set up echoes in people's minds.’"   

Close Range

Annie Proulx - “Eleven years ago I wrote that short story Brokeback Mountain as part of a collection of stories revolving around an ironic conflict between belief and reality.  The epigraph was a quotation from a Wyoming rancher, ‘Reality’s never been much use out here.’  There was an element of denial and fantasy in all of these stories.”

William Matthews watercolor illustration from Close Range

tfmisc has posted all the illustrations from Close Range in our Close Range thread, where forum members have just finished discussing "The Half-Skinned Steer," and are about to move on to the three short works, "Fifty-five Miles to the Gas Pump," "Job History," and "The Blood Bay."

Brokeback Mountain

Annie Proulx: “Brokeback was about Wyoming homophobia told through the lives of two nineteen year old boys in 1963, cut off from their ranch families, who could only find summer jobs herding sheep and who fell tragically in love.  They were not cowboys, although both wanted to be.  The self-hating character Ennis making due with occasional ranch work.  Jack Twist trying his marginal skills at rodeo.”

When the film came out, Ms. Proulx said, she was distressed that it was referred to in press and ads as the “gay cowboy movie.”

She said, “Had I wanted to write a story about cowboys, I would not have put them to work herding sheep!” (Much laughter)

She thought at first that eastern media had mis-labeled the story, since to them “all men in boots and hats were cowboys.”  Later she realized that the “savvy producers of the film understood the power of the cowboy image extremely well, knew the film would shock, disturb and attract many viewers and make money.  I think I was the last one to figure this out.”

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2008, 06:56:16 am »
Two other Annie Proulx articles from the same issue of TDS at the DCF, October 27, 2006. Edited by tellyouwhat/EllenRaff  *Notice how comfortable FrontRanger is in Ennis' truck!! * I wrote the Brokeback_1 article

MORE Brokeback Mountain Answers:  The Chance of a Lifetime

by brokeback_1

Nowhere but Wyoming could we have attended such an intimate literary function with so many outstanding authors.

Two weeks earlier I had sent an email to the most active members of several theme threads here on the forum: If you could ask AP one question --in person--about Brokeback Mountain, what would it be? They came up with the same question I would have asked myself. It concerned the genesis and meaning of the prologue, its effect upon the story as a whole. Why did she use it? What had made her decide to start with the end? It was a technique she had never to my knowledge used in any of her other works.

As we all walked towards the book signing at the front of the museum my mind was a jumble. I had no idea how to ask a woman who was arguably the English speaking world's greatest living author ANY sort of question privately, and the more I thought about it, the more nervous I became..so I decided to wait until it got a bit quieter  and just ask.

I saw my chance. Rather then talk myself out of it, I walked over and asked AP to sign my copy of Brokeback Mountain. She looked both gracious and tired.  Eager to go home.

BB1:  Ma'am, thank you for signing my book. So far as I am concerned Brokeback Mountain changed the nature of the short story in the English language. That book changes lives. It changed MINE. I proposed to my fiance after 30 years when I read your book.

AP:  Thirty years?

BB1 (nods):  Ma'am, can I ask you a question? A question about the technique you used when you wrote Brokeback Mountain? When did you decide to use a prologue with BBM?

AP:  Oh, it wasn't an addition, I had always included the prologue. The prologue was left out by mistake when the story was first published.

BB1:  I know that. I mean, what made you decide to use a prologue in the first place? So far as I know you didn't use it in any of your other works, and I've read them all...Did you use a prologue in BBM to ease to the placement of scenes and unify the temporal juxtaposition of events separated by years within the body of the story? It seems to me that without the prologue, Brokeback would not be Brokeback, so I would like to know what made you decide to use the Prologue.

AP: AH. From the moment I decided to write the story I knew I would use a prologue. Brokeback Mountain was designed as a series of unfolding flashbacks where the impact continually built within and upon the reader. The story proceeds from the end and moves backwards.

(Knowing how important this would be to Forum members, I want to say that I have checked and double checked this quote for accuracy against my memory, my notes and my fiance's memory. And hers goes back to the birth canal.  As near as we know, the above is absolutely correct.)

BB1:  So then the  placement of the various scenes -- such as the urination (referring to the hard scene with Jack’s father) do not matter so much chronologically as emotionally.

AP: Yes.

I thanked her, said that her answer had made it much easier to understand the structure of the story. Then I managed to walk away without tripping over my own feet.

Breaking New Ground, and the Religious Right

In my (tellyouwhat's) short time speaking with Annie Proulx, I thanked her for her ground-breaking writing and told her that she was an inspiration not only to all writers, but to all women and everyone who strives to do their best at whatever their life task may be.  She was surprised to learn I had come from Dallas and that several of us had traveled.  She was very gracious but I could also sense a reticence, which I thought must come from not being used to her new-found fame.

Annie Proulx signing tellyouwhat's hard-won illustrated copy of Close Range

In further discussions with Brokeback_1, Ms. Proulx revealed that her fame has, unfortunately, a dark side.  Too much of the wrong kind of attention from the Religious Right has forced her to become more reclusive, even to the point of scaling back her own website.  This is unfortunate indeed, as it means they have succeeded in reducing our access to Annie Proulx' unique insights.

Jack (brokeback_1) talking to Annie Proulx after the book signing

BB1:  That wonderful speech you gave (during the panel), will it be published, or posted on your website? Is there a video of it anywhere?

AP:  OH NO, I'm done with the website, every time I added or posted to it the right wing Christians harassed me. Well I'm glad you enjoyed it (the comments) so much, but it was just for the moment, for now in Casper at the Expo. It’s just for today.

After the Panel and Book Signing

Forum Members and BetterMost participants shared our jubilation out in E Del Mar's aqua truck.

Front-Ranger, ptannen, tellyouwhat, Brokeback_1, E Delmar
and Horsewrangler (Adrian.delmar) / photo from Horsewrangler

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 11:45:22 am »
Thanks very, very much brokenbackjack!

I love it!!

Read quickly and be assured that I will re-read often.

Seems to me that Annie says a lot, even though I though it simple. More later. Got to rush... (go to the Post Office to see if Jack or Ennis or others send me a postcard)??

Any other words by Annie?? I am puzzled by her words.

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 11:18:47 pm »
Brokeplex,

Injest as moderator was very right to contact me about my response  to you, very right to point out we are among friends here. Her statement about most of us being upset right now is the truth. Her suggestion that we need to take a deep breath and THINK before hitting the send button is totally on the mark...

I became irate at what was percieved ---wrongly--- to be nasty condescension on your part, mistook ordinary grumpiness for an attack and jumped all over you. No, Brokeplex, I'm not wiggling out of this one; what I said was wrong, nasty and against everything BetterMost stands for. It was an intentionally meant insult from me to you and I am mortified at having done it. Please accept my apology, it will not happen again. I would also like to apologise to anyone on the thread who may have read that post. We do not come here for crap like that. We come here because we all love Brokeback.

Just because I am upset is no reason to spread it around. You are probably just as upset. It will not happen again, and I think both of us have learned something here....

Attacking another poster is not acceptable. I don't like reading such things from others>>>> which makes doing them even MORE unacceptable.

Regarding your request that the 2 of us  "unzip to compare"?? Well, it would be counter-productive... since age 14 I have won that contest 9 x's out of 10  :o  roflmao. On the other hand.....at age 50, unzipping is inappropriate. so.....back to your request. Hopefully I can  answer what you asked like an adult and not some greying child.  ;D

Annie relies on an informed readership when she writes her work. She does not spell it all out, her readers often need to infer and extrapolate  a larger meaning from her allusions. She expects her readership 'to fill in the blanks.'

When it comes to the classical, ie, Helleno-Romanic  allusions within BBM there are many...she made Jack a Bull Rider [prehellenic/minoan] for example... and one is expected to grasp and extrapolate other things from those references.

But that is NOT what I was referring to, Brokeplex. And I have to go waaaay off topic to answer the question, so I hope it is worth it.

When I mentioned missing the forest for the trees, I was referring to Annie's actual construction of the story, the style used when she wrote Brokeback Mountain .

With Brokeback, Annie accomplished successfully what no other modern English language writer has managed to do>>>she successfully transmuted transmogrified and transformed the principles of  classical Athenian drama into modern short story format.

Aeschylos or Sophocles would recognise her technique instantly.  It is blatantly classical, blatant yet subtle. She wrote a drama using principles developed 2,500 years ago. She wrote a tragedy in prose, not verse. Yet the verse is there, poetry within prose. It was not a play. I don't even think she knows how to write a play.  She sat down and wrote it in a genre  she's comfortable with, the short story.

Ok, you wanted to know when and where she said these things.

There is a problem in answering that question. Unfortunately there are no 'major documented interviews' in which she said any of this. There are two exceptions to that statement, but neither was  in any major publication. They were questions answered for us, for brokies from BM and Cullen.

Back in Oct 2006 I asked her questions about the technique and construction of Brokeback. Ellen put my interview and hers into the Daily Sheet over at Cullen. I'll look up which issue and send you a link. On that day she  also spoke to us about other matters which we did not write about in any detail, or even at all. It would have been both inappropriate and a breach of trust.

During the same day in Wyoming, FrontRanger asked Annie a marvelous question about the importance of classical references within the  Brokeback story. If you contact Lee she can probably link to the BM thread she put the answers in, although a much more detailed version was written by her in response to the rabid questions people had for her in one of the analysis threads over at Cullen. She or Miniangel may have a link to that post.   In February[?] 2007, after an awards ceremony in Boulder we asked her about other aspects of the story. I remember my question, asked while she signed my book,  was again about technique, although we also spoke about the 30 years it took THIS Ennis to say I Love You to my now wife [it was pretty funny lol].   

She was gracious enough to give long and  detailed answers to brokies at other times during the last what, 12-14 months or so, largely on the subject of the story's construction and  technique. Answers to questions we are meant to discover for ourselves, she NEVER gives, ever. She guards the legacy of Brokeback Mountain well. 

The thing is, virtually none of that has ever been in public, nor is any of it documented.

Nor should it be: they were not interviews; these were conversations.

Look this is just my opinion, but I firmly believe the key to a better understanding of Brokeback Mountain in all aspects not directly concerned with specific questions lies within Annie's construction of her story, within the way the tale was crafted. When you understand her technique, much--MUCH--falls into place. When you understand the construction, MUCH becomes clear.

Brokeback was concieved FROM ITS CONCEPTION within Annie Proulx's mind as a work which progressively unfolded within a series of flashbacks. This is paramount to understanding the story. The unfolding flashbacks have an importance which transcends  the linear chronology. The emotional build within the reader--rather then a linear chronology--is what was kept first and foremost  when she constructed Brokeback.

The Prologue was concieved within her mind from the very beginning as the piece which sets the tone, sets the stage for her entire story. Over before it began, in more ways then one....The importance of the Prologue, while it might be sometimes OVERestimated, should under no circumstances be UNDERRATED.

It was left out of the initial publication in the New Yorker completely by mistake. That mistake was made by the 'typesetters', nobody really knows exactly how to this very day: in other words 'the classic screwup' lol. When she first saw it, she  almost had a coronary and felt her masterpiece had been mutilated, wrecked, rendered unintelligable. THAT is how important her prologue is to the story of Brokeback Mountain.

The technique of her story is circular rather then linear. In more ways then one, The End is the beginning, while the Prologue is The End. Again, the story is over when it begins....in a sad way, just like Jack and Ennis.

OK, circularity within a story is common enough. Attempts to recreate classical drama are common enough. Flashbacks are common enough. What is unique is her taking all of that, and combining the ingredients so successfully you don't even realise she's done it. That story as crafted is a stylistic tour de force. One which WORKS.

Understanding the technique as written will bring us no closer to answering those questions we want answered: "Is Jack Still Alive?", "Did Jack Quit Ennis?", "How Did Jack Really Die?".

Why?

As constructed--and as the author has said on MANY very well documented occasions--we, the readers, are MEANT TO ASK THOSE QUESTIONS. THE ANSWER TO ALL OF THEM LIES WITHIN OUR OWN EXPERIENCE AND HEART. There is no right or wrong answer. Every reader has his or her interpretation, his or her belief. That is what she WANTED when she wrote it!

The characters are destroyed by their own inner character flaws and defects, which is the hallmark of classical tragedy. Hence, the story bites deep, as classical tragedy bites deeply within our hearts to this very day.

In the classic Euripidean manner Brokeback Mountain leaves us with more questions then answers>>>>which is why we are HERE! Hell, Annie is the AUTHOR---and SHE wondered what happened to Ennis after Jack's death. Yes, she is their creator: yet she wrote herself a private short story about Ennis, wrote it to exorcise the ghosts of Jack Twist and Ennis DelMar, wrote it so she could SLEEP lol!!!

Read it again, read it as if you were reading one of the great Athenian dramatic works from the Golden age. Look at it from that standpoint. Your interpretation will...shift.

I hope this helps a bit.  And again, apologies for my previous nastiness. Somewhere in my files I have a few unpublished pieces, including a talk she gave us on 'Cowboy Myths and Realities' which partly discusses Jack and Ennis; if you would like to read any of it, let me know.

Greetings brother Brokebackjack!

My daddy and my uncle both raised me to believe that when a man sees that he is in the wrong, he should acknowledge his mistake and apologise. Jack you have gained my respect by doing just that. After cooling down, I looked back at my posts to you on this thread and also on another, and realize that those posts were not among my finest moments. I think that both of us were singing out of tune that night and we made the choir sound a bit sour. I regret that and hope that you will accept my apology as well.

I started to delete my own posts to you that were, shall we say,over the top sarcastic. I am rather embarrassed by them now. I changed my mind because I would like them to stand as an exemplar of how not to write a post.If the sneer demon speaks to me again, I will just look at the copy of that post that I printed out, and the embarrassment I remember will cause me to cool down.

I want to thank 3 people who counseled me and guided me into a new perspective.

1) Injest - for a very good job of moderating on that rambunctious night. Injest's quick and insightful moderating prevented a bad situation from becoming worse. I also thank Injest for her wise counsel in her emails. Because of gay friendly straights such as Injest, one day we will no longer be strangers in our own lands.

2) Artiste - for his wisdom and compassion which disarmed me. Artiste either was or should have been a very good elementary school teacher in his younger years, as he showed great skill in talking to a 51 year old who was acting like a 10 year old.

3) Finally D.L., the love of my life - he read my post to Brokebackjack and just frowned at me and shook his head. Non verbally he communicated volumes that he was disappointed in me. 

take care,
Bill

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 11:27:33 pm »
http://www.davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=17094.msg552102#msg552102

this is a link to the Annie Proulx article at cullen's TDS, with contributions from   brokies like Tellyouwhat, FrontRanger, me  and AdrianDelmar. It's the Oct27, 2006 issue at Casper, Wyoming. It has a great deal of information within it, of benefit to anyone who likes discussing the story. If it wasn't for this thread I'd have lost it myself>> had to hunt for it---and now I've saved the page.

again OT, but I don't know where to put it.

Thank you for your elaboration on your comments over several posts. I too see the parallels between the BM story and several of the Greek mythological tales.

You may have already read them, but I would like to point out that there are two scholarly essays in "Reading Brokeback Mountain" ed. Jim Stacy which substantiate much of what you are saying in your posts.

I refer to :

"Arcadia and the Passionate shepherds of Brokeback Mountain", by Henry Alley

"Proulx's Pastoral: Brokeback Mountain as Sacred Space", by Ginger Jones

if you do not have a copy of this collection of essays, I highly recommend purchase.

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
    • BetterMost
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 11:45:18 pm »
I think that both of us were singing out of tune that night and we made the choir sound a bit sour.

As I wrote to you in a PM, we're all a bit like long tailed cats in a room full of rocking chairs this past week or so.  Everyone is sort of on the edge of their seats, and tolerance levels are way down as people deal with the hand we've been dealt.  I have always respected and enjoyed spending time writing to you in public and private.  Your gracious message here makes me respect you even more than ever.  It's a pleasure to know you and have you as a part of our community!

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 12:02:07 am »
thank you very much, I appreciate your thoughts!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 12:33:14 am »
Bill, that was one of the nicest messages I have ever read. Thank YOU.  I can fly off the handle, which amounts to jumping off of a cliff.   From now on I think twice before hitting the send button.These past days have been so crazy...We were both 'long tailed cats' this week. And that is a great analogy if there ever was one.

I haven't read the essays but will. Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the tip, I'm going to buy that book. I'm glad you liked the articles. They have a lot of information in them, info which might help us all understand the story, and the author's intent, better. Hell, I wrote one of them and had forgotten a few things myself. Things like those shouldn't be allowed to gather dust.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 11:40:08 am »
Based on this very interesting conversation, I think we can definitely state that, yes, Jack is still "alive," his spirit, that is. And with Mardi Gras and Lent coming up, it's something to contemplate!!!

My friend brokebackjack reviewed Annie Proulx's presentation very well, but there's even more here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,4224.0.html

and there's some quotations from an excellent interview with her here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,16252.0.html

And there's a general book discussion here:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8238.0.html
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 12:26:23 pm »
Thanks moremojo, and thanks to all too!!

Please keep on posting, your comments are interesting.

For now, I just re-read right your first post on this thread moremojo, and may I quote it:
Believe it or not, a former member here once opined elsewhere online that Jack did not die at all, but moved on from Lureen, his family, and Ennis for that matter, and Lureen and Mr. and Mrs. Twist concocted and repeated the tire-explosion story both to save face and to punish Ennis.

Moremojo and others: since you (moremojo) say that a former member opined that Jack did not die, (but moved on from Lureen, his family, and Ennis for that matter...), I could believe that with my experiences with some males.

In the past, I have had many males come as a surprise or wanted to come to live with me, leaving either secretly their females wives or their male lovers. Some did with their wives knowing after or before. I always refused them.

Even lately in the past few years, some men want to leave their female wives without telling them; they each told me... in order to live with me. Some, I do understand or try since each is unhappy in their female-male relationship or that has become so; but, others, I do not know if they have reasons, if there is a reason.

In the years that Ennis and Jack would have lived, sex or freedom became somewhat more free (opened too?) and so men thought to leave their wives. Then that circle closed... they became afraid?

Of course some heterosexual, bisexual or gay men, married to a female, do have sex with a man (heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual); sometimes for some, their partner (each live with) knowns secretly or openly, and accepts that.

I have found many combinations in the gay world, in the straight world, in the bisexual world!!!

Again to my experiences, my own life with other males, so I could easily believe that Jack would have moved away and never told Lureen, nor Ennis, nor his own parents (the Twist)!! Does anybody else see that?

Do you all? That is one reason or way that Jack is still alive??

Hugs!! P.S., I had also many experiences where females came on to me; and I do not know why... they wanted me. Would Lureen or Alma, each married to their men, come on to live with me without me making advances or that thought to them?

moremojo

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 12:34:52 pm »
It's not that I think that Jack surviving and moving on from his family and past relations would be absolutely impossible. Rather, it's that there is no evidence for this in the short story or film. We, and Ennis, are explicitly told that Jack died, so there is strong evidence for believing this to be true.

Furthermore, I found this former member's speculations regarding the actions and motivations of Lureen and Jack's parents to promote and preserve the story of his putative death, to Ennis at least, to be wildly implausible and based on nothing but sheer speculation, speculation, moreover, which had no basis in the actual texts of either story or film.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 03:28:32 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

Then maybe we can search and find evidence that maybe Jack is still alive?

How to search for that?

Hugs! P.S. I continue with this subject of this thread since I have now a feeling that he could be alive and that can maybe be proven.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2008, 01:36:43 am »
Jack died Artiste.

The question in my mind is: was it necessary for Jack to die in order to make the central point of the SS, and later of the film?

Ennis had lost Jack to Randall, Ennis was an isolated emotional widow, the closet and his internalized homophobia had destroyed Ennis's chance for lasting love. Some observers of the film and the readers of the SS have speculated that Jack's death was unnecessary and fit into an "anti-gay" paradigm.

See "Reading Brokeback Mountain".

Offline Artiste

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2008, 07:08:54 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Jack is still alive, may I suggest brokeplex!!

That is what I am figuring so far, and seems to me that I am finding proofs or circumstancial evidence of that, depending on the light placed not only on Jack, but also on others. That in the BM movie!! That is so far that I have found and am still finding. I can't help it, doing that and it's  like the sleepless numerous nights I had (and still ponder about at times now still about Lureen being lesbian)!! Bear with me, ha! ha! (I don't know if you are gay bear club member?? ah? ha! ha!)

Quotes from your comment:
The question in my mind is: was it necessary for Jack to die in order to make the central point of the SS, and later of the film?

Brokeplex and to all too: To that, may I say sure... but that does not prove that Jack had died!! WE think that he has!! But that is NOT all of it!!

May I note:
Annie writes in circles, and since she does, so do the screen writers to follow her path, they wrote in circles; for: at-the-end-of-the-movie, that central point if I may use your expression is now ...
is shifting from the centre to there: the end;
plus:
and does shift to there, yes... and also to an in-the-after
- may I figure and think so for now!! That is because of circles of life, of lives!!

May I say that I can NOW relate finally to that! And illustrate a bit for now to start with: I paint in circles when I create my paintings on canvas. I just realized that I also think in circles, according to one of the lawyers  I sought to get his services that I had seen in his cabinet and, when he realized that I spoke in circles, he was so amazed  that he urgently called in his partner advocate and mention that in front of me to him... to my surprise. I was surprised by that and still was, and am, as I could NOT understand them 2 advocates!!! I had NOT realized that - I spoke in circles- so,
since that is my nature and my habits and culture, as my voice too, as a person as well as an master-artiste painter; museums and other venues such as art galleries and cultural centres world wide, I supposed do realize that somehow, hopefully, since they see that maybe as my tour-de-force as my own invention in the art world!!

I know that Annie is French-canadienne and that I enjoy that and her culture; plus, another culture(s) and bring in into that!! She creates circle-imageries as I do!!

Therefore, her uniqueness and mine are atractive to us... to moi and that, those circled-imageries  matters a great deal in our creations. Let's remember that chinese alphabet are innumerable images - their position of writing is therefore different than us occident; as oriental ways of reading and writing and painters differ somewhat greatly to European and  North American ways... common ones. Some cultures read from the bottom right down and guide themselves going upwards!! Other culture(s) walk on the other side of the sidewalk, different than us. The English still drive holding on a different side of the road... as you know that we do here in North America.

So, as you see I am now taking a different approach to the movie for my present discoveries; and, now discover that Jack is still alive... in more than one way!! or that's my dream?? Or my realisation?? It's life!!

I must go... and comme back later, and await your news and that of others too,

hugs! Keep care Monsieur loveable teddy Bear, and to all teddy-bears !!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 06:53:38 am »
outstanding Lee!! I couldn't remember where all that WAS

and the debate has taken interesting turns...

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2008, 07:50:43 pm »
If you read the original published short story of Brokeback Mountain you will see that the writer's intent was to have the character of Jack Twist die and leave it up to the reader to decide how. Nothing in the short story even hints othewise.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2008, 07:40:06 pm »
I still think that Jack is STILL alive!

So, then a BM II movie would be possible?

You think?

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2008, 07:12:50 pm »
Hi to all and to guests too!!

Since I have not seen the urn with Jack's, I still think that Jack is still alive.

Can anyone here too??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 12:43:41 pm »
I agree with the person who said that the author's intentions was to have Jack die and then let the reader/viewer assume how. That was the blow that made the movie so powerfully emotional and REAL. And a sequel wouldn't be as powerful.

Then again, fanfiction begs to differ. :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 05:59:51 pm »
Thanks elomelo!

You say:
I agree with the person who said that the author's intentions was to have Jack die and then let the reader/viewer assume how. 

And to that, may I say that that can add to the mystery? Right?

However:
That was the blow that made the movie so powerfully emotional and REAL. And a sequel wouldn't be as powerful.

Why do you think that? If Jack is still alive, then the sequel could be just as interesting? Yes?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 06:42:20 pm »
Thanks elomelo!

You say:......

And to that, may I say that that can add to the mystery? Right?

However:
Why do you think that? If Jack is still alive, then the sequel could be just as interesting? Yes?

Au revoir,
hugs!

You know I normally agree with you,but I do think he is dead,and we have to decide for ourselves the mode of death.We will never be sure and that is why there is so much debate.
If Heath were still alive then certainly BBM 2 even if they had to have a Dallas/Bobby type shower dream scene.Actually that would suit me fine.Ennis in the shower, realising it was a dream and jack is alive.Definitely Ennis in the shower!!!!!

BUT and it is a big but,Heath is no longer with us and they simply could not replace him with anyone.There was only one Heath,and I wish he was still with us.
so this once I am going to disagree with you, sorry.

still maybe in another life hey !!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 06:59:38 pm »
Thanks optom!

I am glad that you state that:
You know I normally agree with you,but I do think he is dead,and we have to decide for ourselves the mode of death.

Optom, to that we can think that Jack is dead, but we do NOT know that... it seems to me, in more than one way!!

Sure, we can decide, each one of us, the mode of death (being accident or murder); and, that is just that; and maybe that is a trick !! We already know that there are/is con artist(s) in the story. So, maybe this Jack death is a ruse by  con artist(s)... to direct us (as viewer off the trail; such tricks as to use false scent are used at times by criminals!

I do NOT think that Jack is dead, but we are lead to believe that, ONLY!

As to:
[/quote]
If Heath were still alive then certainly BBM 2 even if they had to have a Dallas/Bobby type shower dream scene.Actually that would suit me fine.Ennis in the shower, realising it was a dream and jack is alive.Definitely Ennis in the shower!!!!!

[/quote]

To me even if Heath, the actor, has passed, he can still be in BM II ... as to Lawrence Welk is still on TV, right?
A second choice: Even if BM II was done, it would NOT be nescessary to use Heath! Right?

Waiting your news,
 au revoir,

hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 08:18:54 pm »
Thanks optom!

I am glad that you state that:....

Optom, to that we can think that Jack is dead, but we do NOT know that... it seems to me, in more than one way!!

Sure, we can decide, each one of us, the mode of death (being accident or murder); and, that is just that; and maybe that is a trick !! We already know that there are/is con artist(s) in the story. So, maybe this Jack death is a ruse by  con artist(s)... to direct us (as viewer off the trail; such tricks as to use false scent are used at times by criminals!

I do NOT think that Jack is dead, but we are lead to believe that, ONLY!

As to:

To me even if Heath, the actor, has passed, he can still be in BM II ... as to Lawrence Welk is still on TV, right?
A second choice: Even if BM II was done, it would NOT be nescessary to use Heath! Right?

Waiting your news,
 au revoir,

hugs!

OH NO Artiste !!!!! you are forcing me to disagree with you again.!!!!!!!! I am not a happy bunny !!!!

I could not acept anyone else as Ennis. Now if you can find Heath's doppleganger (spelled right?) then maybe .But other than that it has to be a no from me to BBM2.
I just love the Jake Heath interplay. It is simply not possible for me to see any other actor replace either of them.I fell in love with Jack and Ennis but also with Heath and Jake

Now you have to stop,I dont want to disagree with you anymore.Particularly after the lovely flowers !!!! the othe day.

I know your game,you just want to see them jump naked off the cliff into the lake again dont you!!!!!

XXXX Fiona

Offline Artiste

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 08:39:34 pm »
Thanks again optom3!

You say:
I could not acept anyone else as Ennis. Now if you can find Heath's doppleganger (spelled right?) then maybe .But other than that it has to be a no from me to BBM2.

Optom and others: [
A- consider that it would NOT be nescessary for Heath or his double to appear in an BM II, please, as that could be so?

B- Yes, a double could be used too, as that one must have been there? Which actor was his double ?

Jack, we know had a double. Which actor was his double ?

C- There could be too like flashback(s) wherein Jack and Ennis (Heath and Jack) were in the BM One!

Any other choices or ideas??

Yes, (Heath and Jake) Ennis and Jack:

I know your game,you just want to see them jump naked off the cliff into the lake again dont you!!!!!

That would be nice, especially with the camera being closer!! Other such scenes would be exiting in BM II, too!!

You made me smile there!

What do you think?

Hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »
O.K Artiste I give in!!!!

BBM2 featuring JAKE AND ARTISTE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now all you have to do is persuade Proulx to write a sequel, whenyou have done that, I will contact Jake and see if he is available !!!!!!!

Fiona xx

P.S I want to film the more risque scenes or the deal is off

Offline elomelo

• Sr. Ranch Hand
    • My Fanfiction
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2008, 01:14:08 pm »
 ;D

Well, well, Artiste it is then!

But I have to say Ennis can't really be replaced since Heath played his role so well.

Buttttt Jake is well...*trails off* :) :) :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2008, 11:12:29 am »
Thanks Fiona!

You made my starting to be happy because you are saying:

P.S I want to film the more risque scenes or the deal is off 

Fiona, to that I laugh, and am still lauging, gladly!!

Wish I could have that power to give you... oh yes!! Be assured that if ever this film happens with moi, yes me, I will do my utmost best to get you behind the camera for those scenes!!

And why not toi, yes you in them scenes too?? As Jack's (twin) lover? At least?

Au revoir,
hugs! I still have a smile on, thinking aboiut what you say!! Your suggestion is GREAT!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2008, 12:22:29 pm »
Thanks Fiona!

You made my starting to be happy because you are saying:.........

Fiona, to that I laugh, and am still lauging, gladly!!

Wish I could have that power to give you... oh yes!! Be assured that if ever this film happens with moi, yes me, I will do my utmost best to get you behind the camera for those scenes!!

And why not toi, yes you in them scenes too?? As Jack's (twin) lover? At least?

Au revoir,
hugs! I still have a smile on, thinking aboiut what you say!! Your suggestion is GREAT!!

You know what they say Artiste, one good turn deserves another,
you were so kind to send those flowers when I was having such a bad day,so I thougt I woul return the favor and cheer you up!!!!!

Besides which you are so stubborn about BBM2!!!!!!!!!! (smile) that I thought I might as well just give in greacefully.

Of course I am no saint, and so by givng in, my reward had to be the filming of the more risque scenes, but I'm liking your suggestion of participating even more.!!!!!!

Let me just run that by my husband--------- Ah well looks like that's a no then !!!!! judging by the assortment of anglo- saxon expletives he seems to be muttering.!!!!!!!

xxx Fiona

Offline Artiste

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2008, 02:07:16 pm »
Thanks optom (Fiona)!

Boy, this makes me smile:
  Let me just run that by my husband--------- Ah well looks like that's a no then !!!!! judging by the assortment of anglo- saxon expletives he seems to be muttering.!!!!!!!

I am laughing and laughing, and laughing!! Can you write down his words or thoughts, maybe?? - dare I ask??  I can just envisage your husband being puzzled by that!! Pray that he is glad and smiling about it!!

So, he would not let you be an star with Jake G.? It's a pity! ha! ha! Instead of such a risqué sex scene, maybe he will let you kiss Jake G. as Jack or as Jack's twin?? What do you prefer?? ha! ha! I am still smiling asking you this!

I want Jack to be still alive... if ever an BM II is made or at least his forgotten twin!! I pray for that!! Do you think that Jack had a twin?

Au revoir,
hugs!! P.S. Look at my other thread about FUN in the BM movie and join me in making a clip?

Offline optom3

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2008, 04:53:57 pm »
Thanks optom (Fiona)!

Boy, this makes me smile:....

I am laughing and laughing, and laughing!! Can you write down his words or thoughts, maybe?? - dare I ask??  I can just envisage your husband being puzzled by that!! Pray that he is glad and smiling about it!!

So, he would not let you be an star with Jake G.? It's a pity! ha! ha! Instead of such a risqué sex scene, maybe he will let you kiss Jake G. as Jack or as Jack's twin?? What do you prefer?? ha! ha! I am still smiling asking you this!

I want Jack to be still alive... if ever an BM II is made or at least his forgotten twin!! I pray for that!! Do you think that Jack had a twin?

Au revoir,
hugs!! P.S. Look at my other thread about FUN in the BM movie and join me in making a clip?

Artiste you are truly one of a kind.I want to come and live on your planet!!!!!!!

Does whisky flow in the streams over on planet Artiste!!! If so I'm booking me a flight!!!!

As for husband he thinks I have completely lost the plot, over BBM.  I was telling him about the post as I thought it was amusing, and obviously was not being serious.I mean I am old enough to be Jakes Mom. !!!!! His words were along the lines of, f--k that for a game of soldiers.He then expressed concern that I was losing my grip on reality. (I lost that a long time ago, reality sucks)

I tried to lighten the mood by saying I would be quite happy to have f--king game with some soldiers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That went down rather like a lead balloon.

He is still recovering from the fact that my eldest son was suspended from the school bus for putting on lipstick and blowing a kiss at the female driver.

Me I wet myself laughing.as 1) he had done an atrocious job of the lipstick(memo to self,must show him better technique) 2) I actually thought it was funny and 3) most importantly,it shows he is recovering from the "girl incident" and is more relaxed.
Plus its no big deal as it is me who will have to ferry him to school not him!!!!

Husband  has an English public boy sense of humour,so we do not often laugh at the same things.

But don't let me give you completely the wrong impression,he did book me tickets to see the Gay version of Swan lake. Which was AMAZING. All  the swans were stunning men.Just in tights and ballet shoes.naked torsos and soooooooooo  fit. A wonderful performance. Which you should go to see if you ever get the chance.

Have to say he did not realise when booking it that it was the gay version,but he sat through it.
In fact the very fact that he has taken me to many ballets is a big plus in my book.I know lots of straight men who would not be caught dead at a ballet.

So let me know the adress of planet Artiste, where Jack is still alive,BBM2 is going to be made.I am going to lose 25 years, and star as Jacks twin sister,in raunchy scenes ,and I will be there in the blink of an eyelid !!!!! In fact if you could just see your way to inventing a time machine so that Heath is still alive,I will be there,even quicker.

I know I am asking a lot here and it is probably a bit of a tall order,but I have every confidence in you,over there on planet Artiste .So I am going to be generous and give you say,oh a couple of days to get it all fixed.Any problems with the time machine, I hear Michael Fox is a bit of a whiz at that sort of thing.So I am sure a quick call to him will sort that out.

By the way being of Scottish ancestry,I much prefer scotch to whisky and with a just a bit of ice.

xxxxxxxx  Fiona

Offline Artiste

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2008, 06:45:57 pm »
Thanks very much Fiona!

I can barely type since I am laughing (so very hard and continuously) with the wonderful fun you did in your post!

Have to say he did not realise when booking it that it was the gay version,but he sat through it.
In fact the very fact that he has taken me to many ballets is a big plus in my book.I know lots of straight men who would not be caught dead at a ballet.

Hope that  you have a pic of your husband with him there at the ballet looking at those hunks!
I am so very much laughing so hard, that I am choking!

And your lipsticked chap giving a kiss to his bus driver, wow - fun too! Glad that he feels better!! You too!!

If I would have time, I would create a painting of your husband in front of those hunks!

But for now, here is one painting of mine I created for an exhibition last year which was to be in an art centre in Brazil, since I thought that the brazilians would like such fairies stories! But that painting was sent instead to France, wow was I surprised! Can you imagine it in a cathedral which was built like 600 years ago and with stain glass of religious saints!! ?? Wow! I did not know that was that, and I just found out about it by my agent last November when I helped her at her Fall Salon she does yearly for others and moi!!

I exhibited that Deux Diables painting in Montreal and Quebec City in art galeries last September and October, and the public was surprised by it, and they asked... and then they laughed and laughed!! I was waiting for an old lady to tell me that I was a devil too!! - But I do not remember that one among other so special ladies!! Some viewers asked me, but their tails are so long?? And they laughed and laughed!!

My agent tells me that the French loved it too, finding it whimsical! I did think that likely they would not appreciate it, but I guess some had seen La cage aux folles!!

Yes, will you be possibly Ennis's sister? Or dare I say Lureen's or Elma?? I can see you kiss Jack's twin, yes!! Would you add lipstick on Jack or Jack's twin??

Au revoir,
hugs! P.S. Here is the pic of Two Devils. Sorry can NOT find it alone. This pic was it when exhibited in an art gallery last year!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2008, 06:48:04 pm »
My paintings, each do special tricks!!

Like a magician, I am, viewers tell me.

See?

Hugs!

Offline HerrKaiser

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2008, 07:24:17 pm »
Believe it or not, a former member here once opined elsewhere online that Jack did not die at all, but moved on from Lureen, his family, and Ennis for that matter, and Lureen and Mr. and Mrs. Twist concocted and repeated the tire-explosion story both to save face and to punish Ennis. I found and continue to find this line of speculation outlandish, and nowhere supported in the text of the story (or the evidence of the film either).

Think about the weaknesses of this argument. For starters, there is the returned postcard stamped 'DECEASED'. Furthermore, Lureen includes the details on the body's cremation, the ashes being divided between her and Jack's parents, and the stone being placed in Jack's memory in Childress. That's a lot of detail whose accuracy Ennis could potentially check for himself. This is not to mention the resolve that Mr. Twist shows in placing his half of Jack's ashes in the family plot--another element whose physicality Ennis could conceivably confirm at a future time. Ennis never doubts Lureen's confirmation of Jack's death (that he died, rather than how he died) because he has no reason to do so...and neither, I think, do we. 

Just chiming in here having not followed this earlier. BUT....I know of no post office that would return a letter or card with a "deceased' on it. Lureen would have received all of Jack's mail and the post office would have had nothing to do with it. The fact that it WAS returned to Ennis could suggest that Lureen did it herself.

Her reaction to the realization that Ennis was who he was was, for me, one of the three most pivotal scenes in the film. She got hit with a ton of bricks. At that point, she put 2 and 2 together; her reaction was beautifully acted by Hathaway, and it could have been one of guilt.

Mr. Twist was unaware of anything and would never have been able to determine fact or fiction relative to the ashes.

Jack's departure, if not in death, would be a huge hoax and more than the miracle of resurrection, the affect on Ennis would be my great pleasure!

can we spell Bobby Ewing?  ;D

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2008, 07:39:57 pm »
Thanks very much HerrKaiser!

Boy, did I missed moremojo's detectiveness! Yes, I did! I  miss him and hope that he will come back to us here on Bettermost!

HerrKaiser: you say:
The fact that it WAS returned to Ennis could suggest that Lureen did it herself.

To that, may I say wow, wow!!

So we can presume that Jack is alive??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2008, 07:42:06 pm »
My paintings, each do special tricks!!

Like a magician, I am, viewers tell me.

See?

Hugs!

those paintings are especially pretty Artiste! They remind me of early Kokoschka.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:21 pm »
Just chiming in here having not followed this earlier. BUT....I know of no post office that would return a letter or card with a "deceased' on it. Lureen would have received all of Jack's mail and the post office would have had nothing to do with it. The fact that it WAS returned to Ennis could suggest that Lureen did it herself.

Her reaction to the realization that Ennis was who he was was, for me, one of the three most pivotal scenes in the film. She got hit with a ton of bricks. At that point, she put 2 and 2 together; her reaction was beautifully acted by Hathaway, and it could have been one of guilt.

Mr. Twist was unaware of anything and would never have been able to determine fact or fiction relative to the ashes.

Jack's departure, if not in death, would be a huge hoax and more than the miracle of resurrection, the affect on Ennis would be my great pleasure!

can we spell Bobby Ewing?  ;D

in some small post offices in times past, the post master would stamp deceased on non first class mail following a verifiable request from the decedents family. that practice probably has long been discontinued.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2008, 07:49:31 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Thanks too for:
  those paintings are especially pretty Artiste! They remind me of early Kokoschka. 

I miss check that artist. I think I had seen some. You have some?

Any pic of mine OK for the BM movie? In which house?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2008, 07:51:10 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Thanks too for:.........

I miss check that artist. I think I had seen some. You have some?

Any pic of mine OK for the BM movie? In which house?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I'm not sure about a BM movie, but I think one of them would look great in my lake house.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2008, 07:51:35 pm »
Say brokeplex, you lost me with this:

in some small post offices in times past, the post master would stamp deceased on non first class mail following a verifiable request from the decedents family. that practice probably has long been discontinued.  

Please explain... more! Would that change our minds that Jack was maybe still alive??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2008, 07:54:37 pm »
Brokeplex:

I'm not sure about a BM movie, but I think one of them would look great in my lake house. 

Which one? In your lake house? Do I have or can I sleep in that bed there too?? ménage à 3???

Try to choose one too for Jack's house?

Hugs! Since I think that Jack is still alive, I would give him the Two Devils one??

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2008, 07:56:46 pm »
I like the one that looks like teepees.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 09:49:43 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

You did think of:
I like the one that looks like teepees.   

I guessed right that you liked that one! It's a combination of past, present and futur!!!

Maybe you like it because it makes you think of Ennis and Jack in a tent, like it's their teepee??

Or you want them FREE forever, like a First Nation acepted gays??

And Jack would therefore live still ??

What do you think, that painting is like such an impact, for you?

Hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
no, I didn't think of anything related to BM looking at the teepees. I just like teepees, always have.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2008, 09:23:52 pm »
Oh!

I can see you shirtless in one playing with Ennis and/or Jack??

I will relive Jack if you want me to add your pic of you au naturel when I make a clip of BM movie?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »
Of course he COULD be alive and no one can state that he couldn´t be. Isn´t fiction wonderful? :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2008, 12:22:33 pm »
Thanks buffymon!

Like you say:
Of course he COULD be alive and no one can state that he couldn´t be. Isn´t fiction wonderful?

Buffymon, yes, in fiction always you have freedom!!

Like Easter that the BM movie could be, there is light via fiction!

There could be also Jack being alive still !!

Powerful and wonderful is imagination !!

Do you think imagination frees a human??

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2008, 12:46:04 pm »
Thanks buffymon!

Like you say:
Of course he COULD be alive and no one can state that he couldn´t be. Isn´t fiction wonderful?

Buffymon, yes, in fiction always you have freedom!!

Like Easter that the BM movie could be, there is light via fiction!

There could be also Jack being alive still !!

Powerful and wonderful is imagination !!

Do you think imagination frees a human??

Au revoir,
hugs!

You say, "do you think imagination fress a human", NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!! I would have given up years ago if not for my imagination and dreams. I really would.I always think of what I want to happen before I go to sleep,then hope to dream of it.In my real flights of fantasy,I hope that dreaming things will make them come true.Who was it said "hope springs eternal"? Well that sums me up.
In my imagination Heath is still alive and well.and he can be because it is my mind to do with what I want.That is the glory of imagination.It lets you soar to a place where,there is no pain and blue birds sing,and it rains money!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2008, 01:07:15 pm »
Thanks optom!

Wow, except maybe for money which made me laugh (but that could be possible too since you imagine that), I am so happy that you think that imagination is important... in one's life!! I thought that I was maybe the oONLY one left on Earth to think that !! So, you are my twin !! Any other twins around?? Pray tell... all of you!!

I find that there is a lack of imagination on to-day's world!! Do you?

Often I get viewers and even great known artists who tell me at my art galleries exhibtions of paintings I created, people who tell me: that is NOT how you create reflexions!! I tell them that I create reflexions like ones of trees on water... my way since I imagine being an artist!! And my reply shocks many persons! Why?

Without imagination too many are becoming robots!! Right?

Is-jack-still-alive, I believe that he is; and I even imagine him to be alive even at the end of the BM movie!! Am I free to imagine at least  ?? Or should I be a slave to dictator(s) ??

Happy HAPPY EASTER!!

Au revoir,
hugs!! Your posts always make me gloriously HAPPY!!  Merci Fiona!!  Note that the two images present the SAME painting, discovery how (when you have time)??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2008, 01:08:31 pm »
Ooops...

here is another try!!

Enjoy!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2008, 01:09:35 pm »
Again...

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:08 pm »
pretty pictures.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2008, 07:04:19 pm »
Thanks brokeplex!

Did you discover the illusion of those 2 images?

Do you think that Jack is still alive and well ,since he is walking maybe in my scenery I created?

Happy Easter!!

Hugs!!

Offline optom3

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2008, 10:23:57 pm »
Thanks optom!

Wow, except maybe for money which made me laugh (but that could be possible too since you imagine that), I am so happy that you think that imagination is important... in one's life!! I thought that I was maybe the oONLY one left on Earth to think that !! So, you are my twin !! Any other twins around?? Pray tell... all of you!!

I find that there is a lack of imagination on to-day's world!! Do you?

Often I get viewers and even great known artists who tell me at my art galleries exhibtions of paintings I created, people who tell me: that is NOT how you create reflexions!! I tell them that I create reflexions like ones of trees on water... my way since I imagine being an artist!! And my reply shocks many persons! Why?

Without imagination too many are becoming robots!! Right?

Is-jack-still-alive, I believe that he is; and I even imagine him to be alive even at the end of the BM movie!! Am I free to imagine at least  ?? Or should I be a slave to dictator(s) ??

Happy HAPPY EASTER!!

Au revoir,
hugs!! Your posts always make me gloriously HAPPY!!  Merci Fiona!!  Note that the two images present the SAME painting, discovery how (when you have time)??

Before I gave birth to my children,I would deliberately before going to sleep,envisage myself giving birth to healthy babies.It bacame a must do,every night.O.K so the eldest ha some problems,but he is basically physically healthy.I do this with lots of things.Before my kids take an exam or play in tournaments I really stronly visualise them doing really well.
On one specific occasion that I can recall,my middle son was in a tennis match.He was losing, Lost 1st set and down 3/5 in the 2nd set.I walked away fom the court and sat on a wooden bench by a lake.I focused so hard.I visualised him serving aces,putting away impossible balls.pulling back and winning.Not only did I visualise it I also tried to send him really strong positive vibes.I know it sounds nuts!!!!
Well he took the 2nd set 7/5 and went on to take the 3rd set 6/2.
So I do this all the time.Sometimes it seems to work,others it doesn't.But I continue.I never try to visualise lots of money or things like that.More peace and success for my family and friends.Never impossible goals.I try to be realistic.
Anyway as wacky as it sounds I believe in it.I think that is why no matter how down I get,I can pull myself back up again.In some cases I actually like, as odd as it sounds to allow myself to feel deep pain and upset.A good sob is so cleansing.You are then free to experience joy again.
I believe humans are so multi dimensional,and are capable of much more than we realise,if we could only open ourselves more.I also believe our imagination is our single most powerful tool.We just do not always use it.
If we can look back and remember so clearly events,sometimes just triggered by a smell or song.Why not visualise forward.It does not seem so strange to me.The brain is an amzingly complex thing and vastly under used.Also there is the ever present ,deja vue. which so many of us experience.But then maybe I am just "nuts"!!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:18 pm »
Merci optom!

I like your visualizing way to better thoughts!!

Now, that I am exhausted presently, I will visualize myself sleeping better, since I had a hard time doing so last night.
Pray that, instead of thinking of misery someone did, that I can visualise better times and better sleep!!

Au revoir et merci encore!

Dans mon rêve, je vais visualiser que Jack joue de la musique!!

Hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2008, 10:41:36 pm »
Merci optom!

I like your visualizing way to better thoughts!!

Now, that I am exhausted presently, I will visualize myself sleeping better, since I had a hard time doing so last night.
Pray that, instead of thinking of misery someone did, that I can visualise better times and better sleep!!

Au revoir et merci encore!

Dans mon rêve, je vais visualiser que Jack joue de la musique!!

Hugs!

All I can say to that is sweet dreams!!!!!

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2008, 10:48:49 pm »
What's that old saying?

'You know you are asleep when the sheep start hitting the fence'.

Of course Jack is alive. He is a character, and characters live forever.
There are still plenty of Jacks out there, and I'm one of them (Love lost, an all that).  :)

Offline optom3

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2008, 10:58:21 pm »
What's that old saying?

'You know you are asleep when the sheep start hitting the fence'.

There are still plenty of Jacks out there, and I'm one of them (Love lost, an all that).  :)

That made me laugh!!! the sheep hitting the fence.That has so got to hurt.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2008, 05:41:54 am »

You say, "do you think imagination fress a human", NO DOUBT ABOUT IT!!!! I would have given up years ago if not for my imagination and dreams. I really would.I always think of what I want to happen before I go to sleep,then hope to dream of it.In my real flights of fantasy,I hope that dreaming things will make them come true.Who was it said "hope springs eternal"? Well that sums me up.
In my imagination Heath is still alive and well.and he can be because it is my mind to do with what I want.That is the glory of imagination.It lets you soar to a place where,there is no pain and blue birds sing,and it rains money!!!!

Oh yeah. Imagination is, I think, as essential as food and water. I think our imagination is the way humans survive on a mental level, without it we would go crazy.
Ennis seemed to be lacking imagination, or at least not letting himself imagine things, and look at what that got him.

I would love to meet a Jack in RL. But perhaps I already have but didn´t notice.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:38 am »
Thanks buffymon!

You say:
Ennis seemed to be lacking imagination.

Buffymon: may I ponder about that?

Didn't Ennis wished to be with Jack??

Hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2008, 11:39:56 am »
Merci Rob (underdown)!

You say:

Rob, may I say that I am heureux (happy) that you say that!!

And your other sentence is great too, giving us hope:
There are still plenty of Jacks out there, and I'm one of them (Love lost, an all that). 

Je suis heureux que tu es ici, mon ami, oui, oui !! (I am happy that you are here, my friend, yes, yes!!)

So you continue hoping that Jack is till alive at the end of the BM movie?
Maybe?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2008, 10:19:43 pm »
perhaps Jack is reborn, his spirit (or the spirit of men like him who were victims of brutal homophobic attack) lives on in us and explains the obsession many of us have in Brokeback.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2008, 11:13:24 pm »
Ennis and Jack have to be still alive...

in order to save the USA, Canada, and other democratic countries!

To-day!

Hugs!

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlin´
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2008, 01:42:31 pm »
Wish Jack was alive,and that all the fears Ennis suffered had been a great lesson for not repeating them in the future¡.But it's true that,had him been alive,the story's dramatic strenght and the lessons all of us could also learned would have been littler.Moreover,Jack will be forever alive in Ennis mind and soul , and in ours too. :)
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are life´s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2008, 06:54:49 pm »
Thanks myprivatejack!

I  agree with you.

May I say that I tend also to think that Jack had similar difficulties, in some ways. Like Ennis had!

Fear was one?

If Jack would be alive at the end of the movie, maybe he would say so?

Hugs!

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2008, 10:07:57 pm »
Oh good Lord will this ever end?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2008, 10:12:03 pm »

I too am puzzled at this obsession in Brokies continuing to offer ending changes to the ss and the film.  This continued obsession speaks of something other than film criticism. Why does the obsession live on and on?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2008, 12:54:51 pm »
Ross, you say:

Ross:

Why do you ask?