Author Topic: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion  (Read 95840 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2008, 11:06:26 pm »
You are certainly not a buttinski, Juan! All opinions welcomed!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:11 pm »

Sorry to be a buttinsky, but please let me know how you like Affinity.  I am a big fan of Sarah Waters, I loved the book and film of Tipping The Velvet and have Fingersmith on my list of books to read, having seen the miniseries on Logo.  Thanks!

Juan

Hey Juan ~ Good to see you here.  :)  I second what Amanda said.

But, Milli, I'm still waiting on my DVD too.  I'll be sure to post here as soon as I get it. 

This is reminding me of waiting for my BBM DVD to arrive from Amazon when it was first released.  I remember that I pre-ordered it, and then I ended up waiting about a week or so after the release date to actually receive my copy.  It was very frustrating at the time.

Amanda ~
I ordered the dvd from CDUniverse (after the release date) because Amazon had posted a note that said the dvd "Ships in 8 to 11 days" (or something to that effect).  CDUniverse said it shipped in a day or two (and I have never had any issues with them before) ...so I went with them. I shoulda stuck with Amazon, lol.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2008, 01:20:09 pm »

Hi Milli!

I went home for lunch today and discovered my package from Amazon had been delivered this morning!  Yeehaw!

That really was pretty fast for Amazon since I only ordered the DVDs late last week.

So, now I have my copy of Affinity and also of I'm Not There.

I'm excited.
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2008, 06:04:32 pm »
Excellent news, Amanda.  ;)

Did you see I'm Not There in theatres? (I never got the chance..)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2008, 10:25:42 pm »
Excellent news, Amanda.  ;)

Did you see I'm Not There in theatres? (I never got the chance..)

Heya,

Nope, I've never seen I'm Not There before (and I still haven't watched it yet).  One of the main reasons I got it is to see if I think it might be a movie my Dad might like (planning gift ideas for down the road...) because he's a major Bob Dylan fan.

I have, now at this point seen Affinity though!   I just finished watching it.

My advice to Lee now that I've seen it is... I definitely recommend finishing reading Tipping the Velvet (and/ or watching the DVD of Tipping the Velvet) before you watch AffinityTipping the Velvet is definitely Waters' most promient story and I think it's the best story to start with.  I think you'll probably find Affinity really interesting and thought provoking, but it has a very different spin to it and different tone/ emphasis in general compared to Tipping the Velvet

First Review, with some spoilers, but not really too many.  Mostly overall description... ***

Following on my recommendation to Lee above... essentially, in a nut shell, Tipping the Velvet is a much happier story.

Wow is Affinity intense!  It's a beautiful production.  The costumes, sets, etc. are really lovely and interesting and the actors are very good.  It's nice that it's simply one movie and not chopped into different episodes.  But, man, is it depressing and almost brutal.  It's a very thoughtful, interesting story (as we know from the book).  But, at this stage I'd forgotten how different the overall direction of Affinity is from something like Tipping the Velvet.  If someone is looking for a positive story about lesbian relationships and the potential for solid and romantic lesbian relationships, then Tipping the Velvet is the story/ DVD to turn to for sure.  Affinity goes way in the other direction.  But, it's a very good film. 

One of the good things about Waters as a storyteller, I think, is her capacity for the "surprise twist"... best illustrated in Fingersmith IMHO, but also done very well in Affinity.  In Tipping the Velvet Waters is good about introducing both positive and negative characters, situations and scenarios with regards to lesbian relationships, identity and lesbian society.  And, Affinity is the same way with a much bleaker overall outlook and heavier emphasis on the negative.  The protagonist is such an earnest, likeable character that your heart just bleeds for her and the circumstances she endures.  So, the protagonist is the primary "positive" element (as far as lesbian identification goes) while the plot and characters that swirl around her are so difficult.

The whole subject of Spiritualism in Victorian society is interesting enough.  It seems like such a mysterious aspect of Victorian society and it's really amazing to realize how popular amd prevalent it was.

I'll hold off on saying much more until other folks have watched it.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:19:24 am by atz75 »

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2008, 01:44:52 am »
Hey Amanda,

I simply can't wait to see it now!  :)
I was sorta depressed after reading the novel, but hopefully the blow will be softer this time around (then again, maybe not..).

Cant wait to get into the discussion of this film....

Thanks for reporting back with a positive review, Bud. =)

~M

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2008, 09:23:08 am »
Hey Amanda,

I simply can't wait to see it now!  :)
I was sorta depressed after reading the novel, but hopefully the blow will be softer this time around (then again, maybe not..).

Cant wait to get into the discussion of this film....

Thanks for reporting back with a positive review, Bud. =)

~M

Thanks Milli!  And, for the record, I fully intend to watch Affinity again for our joint viewing once you receive your copy.

:)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2008, 11:45:31 am »
Thanks Milli!  And, for the record, I fully intend to watch Affinity again for our joint viewing once you receive your copy.

:)

Sounds good, Amanda.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2008, 06:08:13 pm »
Hey Amanda,

I found an 'Affinity' clips video on Youtube and I couldn't resist checking out a few seconds of it before closing it in haste, lol. (I don't want too many spoilers).  There was this shot of Margaret sitting  at her desk, hugging her journal in silence... the mood seems so somber, sad (no surprise there, given the subject matter..)...
Dang, I am on the verge of ordering the dvd (again) from Amazon this time..   :|

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2008, 05:37:43 pm »
Thanks for your comments! I am making better progress on Tipping the Velvet now that Nan and Kitty are a duet...in more ways than one!

It looks like I won't get my Affinity until I return The Prestige, and I'm not ready to return it cause I can't figure it out!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"