Author Topic: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion  (Read 95359 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2009, 12:49:00 pm »
I just learned (via the Taking Woodstock thread in CT) that Imelda Staunton who played Mrs. Sucksby in Fingersmith is in the new Ang Lee movie!
Neat!

I haven't seen Taking Woodstock yet, but yay for Imelda Staunton.   Love her.
The last film I saw her in was Cranford (recent Masterpiece Theatre release).  She was amazing as always.  :)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Sarah Waters: Books & Movies Discussion
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2009, 04:20:05 pm »

Some Sarah Waters news ...

Sarah Waters makes the shortlist for the 2009 Man Booker Prize

by the linster
http://www.afterellen.com/blog/thelinster/sarah-waters-makes-the-shortlist-for-the-2009-man-booker-prize

Tuesday brought the announcement of the shortlist for the Man Booker Prize and lesbian author Sarah Waters is one of the six writers in contention for the prestigious award.  Waters was chosen for her novel The Little Stranger, an engaging ghost story set in postwar England.

Two of Waters’ previous books, Fingersmith and The Night Watch, made the shortlist in 2002 and 2006, respectively, but she has yet to win. This year’s winning author will receive £50,000, along with worldwide recognition and a huge boost in sales. Even though the odds-on favorite for the Booker is Hilary Mantel’s Wolf Hall, The Little Stranger has sold 50% more copies than any other title on the list and has topped many book critics’ lists of must-reads. Whether Booker judges will consider popularity remains to be seen.

When Stranger was released in May, AfterEllen.com contributing writer Heather Aimee O’Neill interviewed Waters, who wanted to assure lesbian readers that she has not abandoned them, just because her latest novel has no lesbian characters:

“I know for myself that we don’t have so many lesbian writers and readers, filmmakers, whatever, that we feel we can afford to lose them. I don’t in any way feel that lesbians have lost me. It’s just that this book came along and the story really grabbed me.

She repeated the sentiment when she talked to The Guardian at the Hay festival and went on to discuss everything from The Little Stranger to the kind of writer she is.

Here's to hoping she wins this one!  :)