Author Topic: Sea Monkeys, Mood Rings, Men on the Moon, Black Lights and Hippies...  (Read 41139 times)

Offline Toycoon

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Sea Monkeys, Mood Rings, Men on the Moon, Black Lights and Hippies...
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2008, 12:54:15 am »
I wish I still had my Big Jim camper. I have no idea what happened to it. Mom probably sold it in a garage sale.

Garage sales were big in the 1970's, too. Once my mom discovered that she could actually sell all of our old junk, nothing was safe! I sold tons of my old comic books, MAD magazines, bell bottoms, even our old black and white TV!
"The most important thing is being sincere, even if you have to fake it." - Cesar Romero

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2008, 01:50:52 am »
I had the Big Jim camper too Paul! And my sister also had the Barbie camper. We used to play together and this was about the only time we actually got along with each other. lol

I wish I still had my Big Jim camper. I have no idea what happened to it. Mom probably sold it in a garage sale.

A couple of years ago I cleared out my garage and sold a lot of  old toys on e-bay.  I sold my Big Jim, Camper and all his clothes and other stuff for $100.  My GI Joe and footlocker with uniforms and gear went for $65.  I also sold all the Star Wars toys I had, in their original boxes... I had the Milenium Falcon, Luke's Sandcar, Darth Vaders Tie Fighter, Lukes X-wing fighter and all the dolls from the first movie those brought in a little over $200 combined and I had the Original Star Ship Enterprize in it's box with all the dolls we got $97.00 for that.  I also sold my Chatty Cathy Doll (she was the first one to talk), my Betsy Wetsy Doll, a Pooh Bear and a Paddington Bear.  Even old board games like Concentration, Password, Chutes and Ladders and Stratego were bringing over $10 each.

Our old toys are worth a fortune if they are in good condition and still in their original boxes  :o
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2008, 02:00:09 am »
I hardly have any of my childhood toys anymore. I have a few stuffed animals from when I was a small child, and I have my baby blanket. It's blue and it has a little lamb jumping over the moon. And I have my first Christmas stocking. It is green with Christmas animals on it and a bell at the bottom - one of those little round jingle bells.

I have most of my albums (LPs) but I don't plan on selling any of them. I don't have anything to play them on, but I do have many of them on CD now.

Congratulations on your successful Ebay sales Dottie! :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:06 am »
Candy bars cost 10 cents and an 8 ounce bottle of Coke was a nickel. Cigarettes were 30 cents a pack (I didn't smoke, but my Mom did) and men went to places called a barber shop to get their hair cut. We still had town squares and stores with names like "Ralph's Butcher Shop" and "Ray's Hardware Store". Gas was 32 cents a gallon (Oh wait.. gas was 32.9 cents a gallon... what does that 9 mean anyway?) and service attendants pumped it for you. Every neighborhood had a soda shop and a cafe for catching up on all the latest gossip. We had dime stores not dollar stores and a business with a name like Wal-Mart probably sold wallpaper and wall paste. Postage was less than 15 cents and folks still smiled and said hey when they passed each other on the street. TVs received 3 channels, not 300 and windows were something we looked out of, not something we left clicked with a mouse. Children still respected their elders and society still respected the elderly. School violence meant a fist fight on the playground and children went to home rooms, not home schooling.

Those are a few more of my memories from the 60's and 70's. :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.