Author Topic: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?  (Read 21691 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:04:02 pm »

I wonder... maybe she was, and I accept that!!

May I ask you all to comment...

hugs!! Building one's life is wondrous!!

moremojo

Re: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »
It's not absolutely impossible that she was one or the other, but I think it certainly more likely that she was bi than lesbian, and I don't see any evidence for even that, in either the film or the story. All the evidence we see and read points to a likely interpretation that she was heterosexual.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
no.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »

Why do you think she might've been a lesbian or bi?  My answer to your question is no, but I am curious why you think she might be.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:21 pm »
Did you see the way she was checking out Lashawn at the Charity Dance.  ;)

I thought she was exclusively heterosexual and had no reason to believe otherwise. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
Thanks all of you!!

Much can be said according to Lureen's sexual orientation. This thread might show more light(s) on that?? !! Hopefully, by all of you!!

I think that Lureen is a lesbian or bi-person, maybe heterosexual, or maybe other, or maybe a combination.
So far, I see her as a lesbian, maybe bi as a person.

Note: To me again, she had to pass as a heterosexual...
for many, many reasons!!

Kd, do you think she looks at females?

Lucise, I have expressed some ways which seems to show Lureen as an lesbian possibly on other threads, especially one currently. You want me to re-state them since you were not there (as this week's question: Do you think Lureen was pregnant before she saw Jack?? - Please heve a look there, if you so desire. I will also add new reasons showing my thoughts about her being lesbian or bi as a person, if you like.

Louise and Lucise, why you say: no??

Moremojo, why do you think that she is likely if so, bi as person rather than as lesbian?

All new to this thread can also comment. Those who have, please continue, if you like... and that will please me, educate.

P.S. I see no harm in considering Lureen a Lesbian, bi, other, or combination, nor if she is heterosexual and always was!! To each her own!!

Clue: we know that Lureen excelled in figures (accounting). Does that maybe help? I started to wonder and often why is she an accountant!!

Awaiting your news,
hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:16 pm »
Moremojo, why do you think that she is likely if so, bi as person rather than as lesbian?
Precisely because she pursued a man, had sex with him the first night they met, married him, and bore a child that he putatively fathered. I could see a bisexual woman doing all this much more than I could imagine a lesbian doing so. Of course, as I have written, I see Lureen as almost certainly heterosexual.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:04:14 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

What's putatively? How as that to Lureen? To Jack? Did Jack know that?

Like you know, I see Lureen as Lesbian, of course bi-person, since she had no choice!!

She did live an hetorosexual life, yes, but because of her parents choice(s) or her's?? Or society's??

Why do you figure she almost certainly was hetero?

Hugs!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:39 am »
Why do people figure she was hetero, you ask?

Like Scott wrote, she pursued a man, had sex with him the first night they met, married him, and bore a child.  She stayed married to him for as long has he lived.  And judging from her tearfulness on the phone with Ennis, was saddened by Jack's death and by the fact that Jack wanted his ashes on Brokeback Mountain (proving that Jack's time with Ennis meant the most to him — not his time with Lureen).

Why on earth do you think she's a lesbian?  This is one of the craziest ideas anyone has had about this movie! 

I like you, Artiste, but think I speak for many people when I say the idea of Lureen being lesbian is a bit nutty, and I don't understand what has you so convinced of it.

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:02 am »
Do you know I,m really glad you said that first Laura, because thats exactly what I was thinking. There was NEVER any suggestion, either in the short story or the movie that even hinted at this.  ::) ::) ::)