Author Topic: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?  (Read 21817 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:04:02 pm »

I wonder... maybe she was, and I accept that!!

May I ask you all to comment...

hugs!! Building one's life is wondrous!!

moremojo

Re: Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »
It's not absolutely impossible that she was one or the other, but I think it certainly more likely that she was bi than lesbian, and I don't see any evidence for even that, in either the film or the story. All the evidence we see and read points to a likely interpretation that she was heterosexual.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 05:41:09 pm »
no.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 05:58:03 pm »

Why do you think she might've been a lesbian or bi?  My answer to your question is no, but I am curious why you think she might be.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 06:05:21 pm »
Did you see the way she was checking out Lashawn at the Charity Dance.  ;)

I thought she was exclusively heterosexual and had no reason to believe otherwise. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:48:28 pm »
Thanks all of you!!

Much can be said according to Lureen's sexual orientation. This thread might show more light(s) on that?? !! Hopefully, by all of you!!

I think that Lureen is a lesbian or bi-person, maybe heterosexual, or maybe other, or maybe a combination.
So far, I see her as a lesbian, maybe bi as a person.

Note: To me again, she had to pass as a heterosexual...
for many, many reasons!!

Kd, do you think she looks at females?

Lucise, I have expressed some ways which seems to show Lureen as an lesbian possibly on other threads, especially one currently. You want me to re-state them since you were not there (as this week's question: Do you think Lureen was pregnant before she saw Jack?? - Please heve a look there, if you so desire. I will also add new reasons showing my thoughts about her being lesbian or bi as a person, if you like.

Louise and Lucise, why you say: no??

Moremojo, why do you think that she is likely if so, bi as person rather than as lesbian?

All new to this thread can also comment. Those who have, please continue, if you like... and that will please me, educate.

P.S. I see no harm in considering Lureen a Lesbian, bi, other, or combination, nor if she is heterosexual and always was!! To each her own!!

Clue: we know that Lureen excelled in figures (accounting). Does that maybe help? I started to wonder and often why is she an accountant!!

Awaiting your news,
hugs!

moremojo

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 07:57:16 pm »
Moremojo, why do you think that she is likely if so, bi as person rather than as lesbian?
Precisely because she pursued a man, had sex with him the first night they met, married him, and bore a child that he putatively fathered. I could see a bisexual woman doing all this much more than I could imagine a lesbian doing so. Of course, as I have written, I see Lureen as almost certainly heterosexual.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 10:04:14 pm »
Thanks moremojo!

What's putatively? How as that to Lureen? To Jack? Did Jack know that?

Like you know, I see Lureen as Lesbian, of course bi-person, since she had no choice!!

She did live an hetorosexual life, yes, but because of her parents choice(s) or her's?? Or society's??

Why do you figure she almost certainly was hetero?

Hugs!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 02:21:39 am »
Why do people figure she was hetero, you ask?

Like Scott wrote, she pursued a man, had sex with him the first night they met, married him, and bore a child.  She stayed married to him for as long has he lived.  And judging from her tearfulness on the phone with Ennis, was saddened by Jack's death and by the fact that Jack wanted his ashes on Brokeback Mountain (proving that Jack's time with Ennis meant the most to him — not his time with Lureen).

Why on earth do you think she's a lesbian?  This is one of the craziest ideas anyone has had about this movie! 

I like you, Artiste, but think I speak for many people when I say the idea of Lureen being lesbian is a bit nutty, and I don't understand what has you so convinced of it.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 05:38:02 am »
Do you know I,m really glad you said that first Laura, because thats exactly what I was thinking. There was NEVER any suggestion, either in the short story or the movie that even hinted at this.  ::) ::) ::)

moremojo

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 11:23:28 am »
What's putatively?
'Putatively' means 'assumably' or 'supposedly'. When something is said to be putative, it means that it is commonly accepted to be true.

I am curious, Artiste, if you can provide specific examples from the text of the story or the body of the film to support your argument that Lureen may have been lesbian or bisexual. I am dubious of any interpretations that arise out of speculations that the short story or film do not themselves support.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
Thanks moremojo, thanks souxi, thanks LauraGigs, Kd5000, thanks Lucise, thanks louise van han!!

Did Lureen hide the reality that she was a lesbian or bi-sexual?? I think that she did and she did not; both so far, that I think, at my stage of thinking and research.

I am not well versed in composing like you are, and will need your help to find facts in the BM movie and/ or Annie's book!! Plus, some extensions...as to circumstanctial evidence and other facts, as to her life.
I envisage that some of you will realize that you did proof already in some ways... by re-read what you said, but did not realize that as a possible proof or search evidence, as you did on other threads!!

It seems to me, hope that I am wrong, that many persons, do NOT want to talk about lesbianism nor bi-sexuality!! I know that it hurts at times... to think that; I figure that that hurted Lureen too!! In many ways She did cope subconciously and consciouly, with that in many wondrous ways, at the different times in her life (which also tells me that possibly that Jack is still alive - but that will be said later on in  more details!!)

I think that she is a great individual: a lady, a mother, a spouse, a social person too!! I accept her totally as lesbian, bisexual, heterosexual, and maybe other too as that could be too!! Wow, you say!!

I am glad that she did live her life as somewhat and what she wanted!! I accept that totally in the times she was then and in the time we are now (2008)... in our democratic societies.

I do believe that the BM movie tells us, about her being lesbian as well as bisexual; plus heterosexual as putatively if I may use moremojo's word; other sexual orientations, maybe - but I am not there yet!! ??

Existential is her life... like Jack; can that be one clue?
Let's start with this? And as you want. With this maybe: Could it be possible:
Did Lureen hide the reality that she was a lesbian or bi-sexual??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 03:47:30 pm »
there is no evidence at all, Artiste.

Also, note that Lureen was little more than a name in the short story.  And her character is developed only as part of the screenplay.  Neither Lureen nor Alma in the screenplay, or the story, were portrayed in any way has homosexual, or bisexual.

In order to make this theory, you would have to have a basis for it.  There is no basis for it.  We know Jack and Ennis are gay because they HAD SEX IN THE STORY.  The same would have to happen if you make that claim about other characters.  And it didn't.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you: There is no basis for it.

Louise, may I say that there is a basis. It needs to be proven... started firstly.

To quote you again:
We know Jack and Ennis are gay because they HAD SEX IN THE STORY.  The same would have to happen if you make that claim about other characters.  And it didn't.

Louise, I think that there is a possibility that Lureen had sex with another or others females. The BM movie seems to show that too!! In more ways than one... even.

Want some clue?  Eying!!?? as one??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 07:41:31 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you: There is no basis for it.

Louise, may I say that there is a basis. It needs to be proven... started firstly.

To quote you again:

Louise, I think that there is a possibility that Lureen had sex with another or others females. The BM movie seems to show that too!! In more ways than one... even.

Want some clue?  Eying!!?? as one??

Hugs!!

I don't need to prove it, Artiste.  You do.   What "possibility"?  there is no possibility.  If Ang Lee wanted to create a subplot about Lureen having relationships with women there would be some evidence of it.  the interaction between Lureen and the other woman she met is not evidence.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
Thanks louise van hine!

To quote you:
If Ang Lee wanted to create a subplot about Lureen having relationships with women there would be some evidence of it

Louise, that as you say, he does!! As subplot! Lureen is that sub-plot... which is very much enlarged for that: lesbian or bi, she was or could be!!

To quote you again:
the interaction between Lureen and the other woman she met is not evidence.
Louise, to me, it is just that, and plus!! But on the point of Lureen and that other woman at the dance, check it out!! Evidence as one... is there!!

Concerning proving, like I say I am not well conversed in writing like you are and like you all are like detectives, (and I am not a female), so I need your help from you and from all too!!

Many proofs to me are there, not to you and  to all of you??

Hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:19:05 pm »
no, I disagree.  There is no evidence.  It was not in Annie Proulx's original story, and the only reason for the dance scene to be in the film, in my opinion, was to provide a way for Jack to meet 'the ranch neighbor' mentioned in the story, that Jack supposedly was interested in bringing to his father's ranch.  No lesbian story.  sorry.  That is all I have to say on it.

Offline BBM-Cat

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 09:33:44 pm »
Who knows, perhaps as Ennis suggested, Jack did bring up the idea to Lureen about she and Alma adopting the girls and all of them living together as two happy gay couples herding sheep.

;D ::)

Preposterous.
Six-word Stories:  ~Jack: Lightning Flat, lightning love, flat denied   ~Ennis: Open space: flat tire, tire iron?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:32:30 pm »
Thanks BBM-Cat, and thanks loise van hind!!

Firstly, you two and all here, agree with me that Lureen had taste?? Taste too in order to find the right man for her for sex and for marriage??

Louise, it does not have to be in Annie's story about Lureen being a lesbian or bi-person!! - May I say! That is what maybe made the movie longer??
There are plot twists in the BM movie right??

May I quote you again Louise:
the only reason for the dance scene to be in the film, in my opinion, was to provide a way for Jack to meet 'the ranch neighbor' mentioned in the story, that Jack supposedly was interested in bringing to his father's ranch.  No lesbian story.  sorry.  That is all I have to say on it.

Louise, on the contrary, you may have a proof that she tells him that way that she is lesbian or bi-person!! ?? See how that ranch-neighbour asks to go with Jack and why??!!

BBM-Cat: what you say as I quote you:
Who knows, perhaps as Ennis suggested, Jack did bring up the idea to Lureen about she and Alma adopting the girls and all of them living together as two happy gay couples herding sheep.

BBM-Cat, you might have something there. I think so. I see nothing wrong with that, those four as living as two couples, all four being as two gay men as couple, plus 2 lesbians (or one) or bi-s (or one bi-female) too as another couple or good females friends; plus all four as bi-s maybe!! That, as four (2 gays+2 lesbians) I have seen lately lovingly last week on Oprah, and living happilly, plus the child liked that even if he is straight (he figures at 14 or 16??) ?? !!

For myself, I would have loved that kind of relationship like a ménage à 3, but it is a menage of 4!! I wish I would have thought and found that for myself, since I am a gay man, with some bi-experiences.

I do feel more and more that Lureen is Lesbian or bi-person, and I think that she had to do so, as bi-sexual for many reasons!!

Awaiting your news from you both and from all too,

hugs!!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:29 pm »
I won't be adding any more to this discussion. The answer is no.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 10:57:23 pm »
OK Louise!

Thanks!

Hugs!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 07:04:37 am »
Artiste where do you get these crazy ideas from? I,m sorry to be blunt, but thats just the way I am I,m afraid. There is NO evidence whatsoever, in either the short story or the film that Laureen was gay or bisexual. NONE. I think you just have an overactive imagination. She was NOT gay, she was NOT bisexual. She married Jack and she loved him. End of story. Jeez. ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 12:29:52 pm »
Thanks souxi! And thanks to all, and am glad that many continue and will be present again and again here... hopefully.  Glad that you all care for human lives, in wondrous ways, with this BM movie too, as I figure Lureen is crying out for justice like Ennis and Jack did!! Lureen is Jack, may I say!

WE must never give up Lureens, Ennis' and Jacks!! They cry for justice... we give them by our thoughts!!!
We must and can act as this is a crisis that can not continue, even if it is somewhat perpetual for now in the World! It is everybody's bussiness to save them, to save ourselves since we are gays men, lesbian women, bisexual persons, heterosexuals, or others, or combinations. We all struggle for joy as joie de vivre, gay, times!!

Like it or not, Lureen's story is all of us, like Ennis and Jack's lives are too!! Lesbians like females (were/are) are regarded as non-persons still, potentially mental and dangerous by society then, and in some countries now, unfortunaltey; some muslims (and others) not uncommonly will kill their wive(s) to-day simply since she looked at an another man; such slaved women murdered to-day is common say Tv to-day!! And Lurenne might have been set ablaze, like some were in the USA colonies for being considered witches?? Danger remains for females in many ways, look at the past, present and, hopefully the future will be better and better for females; for Lureens! Terrible crimes are being committed against gay men, against lesbian, bisexuals too to-day, and of course to heterosexuals and others too!! I pray for everyone to be safe and be happy, gay, as you like!!

I am happy that you are blunt as you say, since I think that we need to be frank and agressive like Lureen some times!!

I am not as versed as she is, nor like you all. Be patient with me... please. Lureen had to be patient and agressive too!!

May I disagree with you, and say that indeed that I feel and am finding that Lureen is a lesbian or bisexual female, plus a woman, plus a mother, plus a spouse!! I applaud her!! Every person is a combination - like us in certain times- may I say!!

Likely I am now way, way, way ahead of all or most of you here now. So difficult for me to prove that. Here is another effort of mine, trying to show that Lureen is indeed bisexual and lesbian... plus other orientations. It's a mystery??

It is not easy for me to prove that to you and to others, since it is mainly abstracts in the Brokeback Movie movie. She does partake her life that way, as a lesbian, especially being a bisexual - since she does divide her life that way, as she has no other choice; plus, she grows that way, in the movie... I see, as her reality!! There is logics to this, bisexuality of her and by her.

She has to hide her lesbianism, she found that or not in college?? I think that she may very well enjoyed to touch slightly secretively - female for female issues - in college, and maybe had sex with another female(s) there. She did not approfondir French word, I guess to deepen more and more in English) that there in college or did she? She is in pain; quickness of sex shows that!! Does she feel guilty for being a lesbian - likely so unfortunately, since society dictates that, even by execution (death) to-day in certain countries; rediculing in our democratic countries still to certain degrees (hopefully that is changing) since our cries are being seen and the murdering of innocent persons like gay men for being gay men is reveal too as senseless and not human acts as humanity!!

In Lureen's case, becoming bisexual by choice and by force which society imposes - saves her life (temporarily is another thread later on). WE can not change history that much or at all, but we can change the present and the future; Lureen changes her present - for now we know (I know) that as she captures Jack and she will change also Jack's future (that is another thread saving him again).

I think that the BM movie is an important document for bisexuals and too for lesbianism; and for heterosexuality; and maybe for other sexual orientations or mixtures (combinations we know already as bisexual Ennis and Jack are to certain degrees and qualities).

Not afraid to contest, we must not be... the BM movie tells. Bisexuality is upfront since Ennis and Jack, have to marry females, of course they each do so differently. But they hope for homosexuality or something else too, each one, differently; gay sex for Jack; straight sex for Ennis with another man!! As first base, as second plot becoming like first bases too!!

Sex is GRAND in the BM movie; too in Annie's book; thank goodness. Natural! Good!!

It is very hard to establish lesbian ways and proofs for me, since I am not versed like you are all in composing for such or such.

Story plots are proofs of bisexuality, right??

The sections of plots being numerous are in themselves proof, I say, of lesbian issue, in the BM movie. No one can contest that homosexuality might not be there, nor that straight sex between two straight men can be there, nor straight sex man with a bi or gay man is not there. There are wonderful combinations, some shown as realities, some thought about as possibilities even if one can be imprisoned or place in an mental instituon or murdered for it in a so-called civilized world then and now, some underlined as abstracts.

Annie starts sex in different ways, evidence... she prepares; the BM mvoie prolongs that as abstracts that become real too... and it prepares too for numerous kinds of sex and comibinations too of couplings.

Not only spouces as couples are there in the book and film!! Partners are already identified by Annie; the BM movie covers that and adds more; of course, both Annie and the BM movie outlines possibilites as real stories, plus abstract ones underlined; plus, the infornations of that, adds more even as abstracts... as combinations for lovers!! To be happy and gay in!!

I will not suspend my idea about Lureen being lesbian or not, and for the moment offer the possibility of lesbians is like reality in the BM movie... to me. Lureen is agressive, why?? That says something, right!! I add that is saying many, many things, of course heterosexual living or especially likeness of that including bisexuality too, and I dare say lesbian as transition... surely or possibly.

Lureen is very, very well doing her job (for lack of a better word as choice forced as well as unforced) as a bisexual which she hides of course to the public; but not to some close to her??

Much needs to be said yet if Lureen is a lesbian...

hugs!!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 12:42:12 pm »
Artiste what makes you think that Laureen is lesbian though? I don,t understand how you have come to this conclusion atall. Sorry but this is just crazy.  ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 12:56:01 pm »
Thanks souxi!

I wish I had the talent to explain it to you.

I think that I have given clues here. Help.... help.

It takes time I guess... to think so. It took me much time... can not sleep now thinking of that her being so!

I accept her as lesbian... for many reasons too!!

Souxi, try another way maybe: what tells you that Lureen is NOTa lesbian or bisexual??
Hugs!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 02:36:36 pm »
QUOTE:

She has to hide her lesbianism, she found that or not in college?? I think that she may very well enjoyed to touch slightly secretively - female for female issues - in college, and maybe had sex with another female(s) there. She did not approfondir French word, I guess to deepen more and more in English) that there in college or did she? She is in pain; quickness of sex shows that!! Does she feel guilty for being a lesbian - likely so unfortunately, since society dictates that, even by execution (death) to-day in certain countries; rediculing in our democratic countries still to certain degrees (hopefully that is changing) since our cries are being seen and the murdering of innocent persons like gay men for being gay men is reveal too as senseless and not human acts as humanity!!

In Lureen's case, becoming bisexual by choice and by force which society imposes - saves her life (temporarily is another thread later on). WE can not change history that much or at all, but we can change the present and the future; Lureen changes her present - for now we know (I know) that as she captures Jack and she will change also Jack's future (that is another thread saving him again).
UNQUOTE:

Artiste, Laureen doesn,t have to hide her lesbianism, because she isn,t a lesbian and she isn,t bisexual either. I really don,t understand, and can,t work out how on earth you have convinced yoursefl that she was either of these.  :-\

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 02:56:38 pm »
I think that if Lureen wanted a female lover, she would have taken one as easily as put sugar in her tea.  She had a husband, a son and a job and if there was anything else she wanted, she would have made damn sure she got it.  I see nothing in her to indicate that she was attracted to females, but I base my opinion on the fact that, had she been so, she would not have let it lie. 

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2008, 03:03:06 pm »
Thanks souxi, and thanks BBM-Cat!!

Why, this question if this thread, is this like taboo?? I consider it valid
not only as a question; also as a possiblity as well as a probability!!

Hard for me to prove to you and to all, yes!! I wish I had your talents to do so!!

Like quoting BBM-Cat:
Preposterous.

To you two and to all: In return why you think that as preposterous??
I think that was possible. After all, she did live with Jack for how many years??

And, therefore, may I add, do not husband and wife talk about their relationship??
We are in the BM movie somewhat lead to think that Jack and Lureen do not talk... anymore, yes but what was before that... they did talk about their relationship?? I think sosurely since Jack does he not wish it still that kind of communications between him and his wife?? I say yes!!

Of course, Jack wants still communications as a relationship with Ennis, I agree!!  Note his words and his thought: plus Jack still wants too his relationship with Lureen, his wife. Does he tells Ennis that he wants to divorce Lureen?  But I say Lureen now either is more lesbian, than bi; or more bisexual now... and so even if she still lets Jack be with her, she looks at another woman!!

I praise her that she does not then look at other men!! That is a clue too, saying that she is lesbian?

Do I have something there??

Awaiting your thoughts or search,

hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2008, 03:27:05 pm »
Thanks Sandy. Your comment was arriving as I posted mine.

I am very happy with your comment. May I quote you:
I think that if Lureen wanted a female lover, she would have taken one as easily as put sugar in her tea.  She had a husband, a son and a job and if there was anything else she wanted, she would have made damn sure she got it.  I see nothing in her to indicate that she was attracted to females, but I base my opinion on the fact that, had she been so, she would not have let it lie. 

Sandy, may I say that by your comment, in a way or more says, that Lureen is a lesbian... indeed!!- I will try to explain, OK! To me, Lureen came to realize that she did want a female lover, and she took one or about to do so near the end of the BM movie. She is impressed by a lady at that dance, yes?? Is it a crush on her??

Lureen at that dance, says a lot with little words.... which mean much!
And she adds why men don't like to dance, women do... or something like that which indicates to me her desire to come into a lesbian relationship with that lady or another in the future. I see nothing wrong in thinking that about her then... and I accept her for that talk!!

There and then at that dance:
She is frustrated not only with her husband (being a man) but with men!! She yearns for female companionship, yes??

I am not a lady being a man. But it seems to me in ladies' conversations in public, a lady does talk about female issues discreetly to other ladies, right?? Here at that dance Lureen is frustrated with men, wants really to dance with the female there she chums with... and likes females in more than one way!! I praise her. Is she not a product of female sexual revolution?

But trying to free herself as lesbian, will she ever do it? Impossible maybe in her situation, married to a man, having a child, being in a society we know and we were shown not only disagrees with lesbiamisn then (and to a less extent now hopelfully as seen on Oprah last week), her father would never or does accept her as a lesbian or bisexual??

If he (her father) knows, he can only accept her as bisexual if she does it utmostly discreetly - that we know since he allowed her to court in quick sex and quick marriage as to capture a man; she is the one who wants and forces marriage on to Jack!! ?? Right??

It is not Jack that asks her for her hand in marriage, right??

Awaiting your thoughts and reseach from you and from all,

hugs!!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2008, 03:34:46 pm »
Artiste just because Laureen might have been impressed with Lawshawn at the dance, doesn,t mean she fancied the pants off of her. She could simply have been admiring her dress or her hair. Women do do that you know, even me. It doesn,t make us raving lesibians!!   ::)
I,m not taking any further part in this discussion because it,s just ridiculous. You havn,t yet explained to me, or anyone else, in plain simple English, how you have arrived at this crazy theory of yours.  I just don,t get it, and I certainly don,t beleive it for one moment, and I don,t think anyone else does either.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2008, 08:27:35 pm »
Thanks souxi!

May I quote you:
... Laureen might have been impressed with Lawshawn at the dance, doesn,t mean she fancied the pants off of her. She could simply have been admiring her dress or her hair. Women do do that you know, even me. It doesn,t make us raving lesibians!!   

Wow, do all lesbians rave... scream?? No!! Some don't, some do!! I know some acting with either of those actions, and find most who are quiet like Lureen and Lawshawn, to my experience. Any comments on that?

And may I reply of course women, even straights, bi-s and others, plus lesbians would admire Lawshawn's dress, hair, words... actions. That is only natural!

To me  it is also equally natural for Lureen as a lesbian or bi, to admire that too!! Plus, she has or is starting a crush in lawshawn!!

Did you re-check that part in the BM movie?

May we all have our crushes!!

Hugs!!

Hugs!!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 05:50:13 am »
Wow, do all lesbians rave... scream?? No!! Some don't, some do!! I know some acting with either of those actions, and find most who are quiet like Lureen and Lawshawn, to my experience. Any comments on that?

Artiste it was just an expression. I didn,t literally mean that Laureen would rave and scream. Jeez. ::)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2008, 07:19:35 pm »
Thanks souxi!

May I quote you:
lesbians... some are quiet like Lureen and Lawshawn, to my experience. Any comments on that?

Souxi, that is the way I think that Lureen and Lawshawn act: quiet, like you say; and therefore, may I say are discreet about their lesbian relationship (which starts, is or will be starting) at that dance.

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:57 pm »
OK... so I'm going to enter the fray here and bring my own lesbian perspective into this question.

The interaction between Lureen and LaShawn is certainly interesting in the film.  No question.  But, I don't get the sense that Lureen was developing a crush on LaShawn... I get the sense that she was barely tolerating her.  If anything, there may have been a moment when they slightly bonded over the idea that both of their husbands were neglecting them.

And, I'm going to restate my observation about Lureen that I've now posted a couple of places where the speculation about Lureen being a lesbian has come up (over and over again).

Lureen's excitement at meeting Jack in the beginning strongly shows the viewer that she really is straight. She's interested enough to approach him at the bar when she senses his reluctance.  And, most importantly, she's very excited and eager for the sexual contact in the car... the heterosexual contact... in the car.

These are not behaviors typical of lesbians.  Most lesbians don't show this much interest in men and certainly wouldn't be as excited and eager as Lureen is in the car scene.  In fact, many lesbians would go out of their way to avoid the behaviors that Lureen demonstrates.

Lureen, is very confident and she's sexually-self-aware.  Her boldness and confidence in going after what she wants are positive things (at least from my perspective).  Again, I am a lesbian... and I think it's great that Lureen has so much confidence in her own sexuality, which from the scenes we're shown in the film seems strongly heterosexual.  Her self-confidence and assertiveness seems pretty extraordinary and very progressive for a straight woman in Texas during her era.  She's a progressive character in that regard... but not a lesbian.  There is a purely speculative possibility that Lureen could be bisexual since a bisexual woman is interested in both men and women.... but we are never shown any actions on her part that support this.

She's so self-assured, especially in the scenes where we observer her as a young, single woman..   that if she was a lesbian... she would not be pursuing Jack, she would be pursuing women.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 12:44:07 am »
If anyone is a lesbian, it's Mrs. Newsome.  She was not one originally, but after years of marriage to LD she became one.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 01:07:50 am »
Thanks Dal, thanks atz75!!

I like your comments... both of you.

It is obvious that Lureen is a complexe person, like we all are, if I may say! I think that there are at least four out of five different and yet maybe related ways to consider her sexual orientation: heterosexual, bisexual, lesbian, other, or combination.

I do not think that Lureen is just heterosexual, not at all!! For many reasons. It depends how to light her, how the light is placed upon her, and how she does those lights, plus how we, as spectators, place our thought light(s).

What do you mean Dal? Please explain.

Must rush,
hugs!

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 06:38:55 am »
She's so self-assured, especially in the scenes where we observer her as a young, single woman..   that if she was a lesbian... she would not be pursuing Jack, she would be pursuing women.

My point exactly.  I know others will say that lesbians would have been just as affected by the general homophobia during that era.  But my point is that there was no indication of attraction to women on Lureen's part, and had there been so, I think it likely that Ms Proulx would have advised us in her usual subtle manner.  Furthermore, if that was the case, I think Ang Lee would have also brought our attention to it. 

So,

Sandy, may I say that by your comment, in a way or more says, that Lureen is a lesbian...

No, if my post gave you that idea, then I must have worded it incorrectly.  I have no doubt in my mind that Lureen was heterosexual and madly in love with her husband. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:59 am »
The interaction between Lureen and LaShawn is certainly interesting in the film.  No question.  But, I don't get the sense that Lureen was developing a crush on LaShawn... I get the sense that she was barely tolerating her.  If anything, there may have been a moment when they slightly bonded over the idea that both of their husbands were neglecting them.

I think so, too. I'm pretty sure the sorority comment was intended as a putdown. I read somewhere, a long time ago, that Lureen's sorority was considered to have a higher social standing than LaShawn's.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2008, 11:58:43 am »
Thanks Sandy!

I doubt that your post did express to me that you think that Lureen is a Lesbian. You may have said something that made me think that Lureen is lesbian. There is a difference there. Let me re-read your post. Here is your post to quote it:

Insert Quote
I think that if Lureen wanted a female lover, she would have taken one as easily as put sugar in her tea.  She had a husband, a son and a job and if there was anything else she wanted, she would have made damn sure she got it.  I see nothing in her to indicate that she was attracted to females, but I base my opinion on the fact that, had she been so, she would not have let it lie.  

Sandy and to all: may I make a brief comment:
 Sandy, you say that if Lureen wanted a female lover, she would have taken one as easily as put sugar in her tea. And to that may I say yes and/or no. It could be that Lureen then considered herself lesbian or bisexual, and so went after Jack!! Certainly after Jack, if she considers herself bisexual, right?

If Lureen considers herself lesbian, she could have her female lover in college or had experiemented or wanted to do so with another female - as that is a possibility, right?- in college! Even then and of after college, right after college I figure... still Lureen could have went after Jack, because she had no choice because of society she was raised in and she wants to come (and she does) back to her place as her work is this family (her father, her parents' business), and don't forget that I think she was already one month or so pregnant with someone else (not with Jack)!!

I must go take away snow and ice from mother's car and, bring her to shop, and I await your answers and
comments too from all others,

thanks... hugs!! May all females be safe and get their deisres in this wonderful World!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2008, 02:56:38 pm »

Lureen could have went after Jack, because she had no choice because of society she was raised in and she wants to come (and she does) back to her place as her work is this family (her father, her parents' business), and don't forget that I think she was already one month or so pregnant with someone else (not with Jack)!!

I think Lureen pursues Jack purely out of her own desire.  It fact, I think dating Jack was an act of rebellion on Lureen's part from the very beginning.  She's choosing to date and marry a man, who she probably knew from the beginning would not be the type of guy that LD would approve.  I really don't get the sense that anyone if forcing Lureen to do anything here.  We see her reject the advances of at least a couple guys in the bar as she continues to watch Jack and then finally approach Jack.  This is all her choice.  Also, with her comment about her curfew in the back of the car with Jack, she's making it pretty clear that she's doing something rather rebellious.

I'm going to say again, that your idea that she was pregnant with another man's baby and also pursuing Jack are two bits of strong evidence that Lureen was not a lesbian, but was heterosexual (or at a stretch bisexual... but we don't have any evidence of this).

I think so, too. I'm pretty sure the sorority comment was intended as a putdown. I read somewhere, a long time ago, that Lureen's sorority was considered to have a higher social standing than LaShawn's.

Heya Jeff,
I remember discussions about this too.  And, I agree that the sorority comment is meant to be a slight to LaShawn.  And, in a way it's also a subtle dig at Jack.  Jack's clearly the only one among this pair of couples who did not go to college.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2008, 03:57:31 pm »
Thanks atz75, and thanks to all others too.

Since I am rushing time, I will comment on some of atz's firstly to this recent note of atz, and reply to her plus to other members too later on; (if I forget, please remind me).

Atz' comment starts with her quoting me... curently.

Quote from: Artiste on Today at 10:58:43 AM

Lureen could have went after Jack, because she had no choice because of society she was raised in and she wants to come (and she does) back to her place as her work is this family (her father, her parents' business), and don't forget that I think she was already one month or so pregnant with someone else (not with Jack)!!

Atz adds:
I think Lureen pursues Jack purely out of her own desire.  It fact, I think dating Jack was an act of rebellion on Lureen's part from the very beginning
 Atz and to all to, may I say:

I think indeed it was a form of rebellion or/with another form... that Lureen captures Jack's love. To me, her parents (at least her mother) knew that Lureen was lesbian, but feared that that be it known, told her daughter to marry quickly a MAN (not to marry a lesbian unfortunately)!! So, indeed Lureen pursues Jack since she knows (or feels as the likehood that Jack is or can be bisexual!!

Lureen had went further before she met Jack!! She had sex with at least another man that we know about or of!! But he was NOT desired furtherly that one, or NOT AT ALL!!

So, Lureen goes very happily after Jack, since she observed and knows about Jack before she lets her hat fall down and before she talks to him... at the rodeo, then courtships him at the bar, and then mounts him quickly during sex joy; of course, she pursues and desires Jack, being what he is and how he is like!! Lureen the lesbian, knows how to fish a man!!

Does she know how to fish a woman, that is another matter and another question!!

Wow, do you say?

Awaiting your reply and from all too,

hugs!! (May all lesbians be safe, including Lureens!!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2008, 04:58:28 pm »

I won't even dignify all that confabulation with a logical arguement.. It is just allowing your mind to conjure.  Just
because you think things up in your mind...That does not make them so.  It silly to ever use this forum to make such
ludacrous arguements in the face of all logic to the contrary.  You need to go and read the book, and or watch the movie
once again.  Try and get one with good subtitles.. It may help you to understand that you are all confused about the issues.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:37:20 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Artiste

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:02 pm »
Thanks ifyoucantfixit!

I do care, for you and for all and for myself.

Why should I kill my freedom? To me, Annie's story and the BM movie rings for freedom!! As for lesbians, as for gay men... as for others!! Ringing in wondrous ways!!

I really think that Lureen is somewhat tormented because she is a lesbian, since she sees or feels forced by the tempest of society, and accepts that and changes more and more helping herself fighting it, and then she starts to travel her road of lesbian freedom!! For the right to be in love, female with female; I see nothing wrong with that and I accept Lureen lesbianism. She is brave!! She solves her case more and more!!

May all find such comfort and joy of living!! You too, if youcantfixit, if I may wish, since you surely can fix it, too without bitterness!! Whatever, you desire, may you have it as you wish!!

Hugs!! Much things are hard to understand in life, and may we all understand to free our dream(s) of life, alone and together!!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2008, 07:44:13 pm »
Artiste, I think you're misunderstanding what the word lesbian means.  It is not a synonym for sexual rebellion or sexual assertiveness.  It means being attracted to women.  We're not shown this in the film (much less in the story) when it comes to Lureen's character.

L.D. and probabbly Lureen's mother as well are not interested in Lureen marrying Jack... her heterosexual selection of Jack is an act of rebellion and self-determination on her part. 

No one is forcing Lureen to do anything.  Again, that's what's important about her character. In her own way, she's rebelling against patriarchal control by marrying someone her father does not like.  She and Jack have certain things in common in that they don't fit all the gender stereotypes of their era.  In Lureen's case, this does not mean that she's a lesbian... rather it means that she's a sexually self-assured straight woman and is a very ambitious business woman.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2008, 08:17:53 pm »
I'm back to add one further thought.

The subject of a repressed lesbian in Texas during the 1960s (struggling with her parents, society, etc.) would be a very interesting story.  And one that would be very worthy of investigation.  But, I'm afraid it just isn't part of the plot of BBM. 

The topic of a young, repressed lesbian in 1960s-Texas would be such a big subject it really would take it's own movie/story to address well. 

Offline smellykellyjay

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2008, 08:31:29 pm »
Lureen a bisexual lesbean? 

smellykellyjay looks around. 

Is this the "Brokeback Mountain Fan Fiction & Poetry" board? 
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find, but it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind.  -- America

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:38 am »
I really don't know if Lureen is a lesbian or not but here is a recent picture of her at a sorority reunion.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 01:14:33 am »
I really don't know if Lureen is a lesbian or not but here is a recent picture of her at a sorority reunion.

The years haven't been too kind to poor Lureen, have they?   ;)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2008, 01:27:11 am »
The years haven't been too kind to poor Lureen, have they?   ;)

The poor baby.  Looks like she no longer had time to hit the salon for all those highlights!  :o

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2008, 01:43:30 am »

Its obvious her butch side won out.  She is no longer the bleach blond, red fingernailed, jewelry wearing
person she once was.  She has taken off her pumps, and traded them for biker boots.

Beautiful mind

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2008, 02:54:47 am »
<because I just could not resist the call of "Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?",  O0 pops in to say>

I feel compelled to comment but nothing I want to say is productive or "generous". I'll say it in emoticons

::) ??? :o 8) ;)

I guess I'll head back over to Heath Heath Heath where the world is still round and Heath is not a lesbian

Heathen

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:47 am »
But was Ennis a lesbian?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2008, 11:43:43 am »
Fun, fun... love your pic Dal!!

And one that would be very worthy of investigation.  But, I'm afraid it just isn't part of the plot of BBM. 
- to quote Atz75.

I applaud your first sentence Atz! I really think that Lureen is lesbian... that is my feeling for now. I awake thinking of her like that, as she pleases as well as she does not please.

But no one ON Bettermost, but I, wants to investigate that? Sadly!!

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

Re: Were Jack's parents, others, invited to his wedding?
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2008, 04:01:13 pm »
Then also add it to its original place, so that it can be at BOTH places!!

Thanks souxi and all too!!

May I quote you souxi:
Artiste you seem almost obssessed with Laureen being a lesbian. Yet you still havn,t explained, in coherent plain simple English, WHY you think this ? Where is the "evidence"? Yes she looked at Lawshawn, but again, as I said before, she could simply be admiring her dress or her hair. It doesn,t mean shes gay. Just explain, in simply plain English how you ahve come to this conclusion, because I think your the only one who has.

Souxi, may I reply that you are indeed right about I thinking about Laureen as a lesbian, these many days, plus nights , and too awaken by that... so I ponder about her even in my bed; and, I am a gay man, so that surprises and shocks me!! wwo, wow!!

I have came to realize that thinking that Lureen (might or is) lesbian... is like another story within the story of Ennis and Jack!! And also, that it is not like it, but is, depending uopn the light or lights you place upon her and the others!!

Clue: don't forget that she is female: too a mother!!

1- Lureen colours her life, right?

2- Lureen colours also some other lives, right?? And why is capital!! There are even many whys, if you think of her as lesbian at times, at other times as bisexual, as too as heterosexual!!! This is a three way mares (is that female for horse??) race, plus if you included male horses and studs in that, it can be one race, plus many races; the combinations are varied plus multiples!!

3- Right now, I do indeed think that Lureen is lesbian; to a certain extent, she realized that, tried it a bit, and fought it; at the beginning of the BM movie!! other parts of the movie, brings also numerous times plus her re-starting or continuing being lesbian.

4- Lureen was hurt, felt hurt, tried to solve herself, succeeded with Jack and not with other men (she was even raped »I figure now), and she finally becomes to want to wed another female (or nearly so since she couples a female or want to do so again).

5- Lureen saves herself as lesbian more than once;

6- Lureen, as Lesbian, also saves Jack... more than once; even his life or tries to, at the end of the BM movie.

Is my imagination wild?? I have proven that or some of that to myself already. It is so very much complexe and simple... that I can not tell you in simple terms right now; I do not have that talent, and if I had that expertise, I would need your help and that from many others too; you do no solve DNA in a day!!

Sorry that I can not show you proof as you desire right now and hopefully, I have given you again or for the first time some or one piste (clue) for you to follow or discover; love your inquiring mind, please continue, I must rush,

hugs!! I am late! Hugs!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:30:25 pm by Artiste »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2008, 05:29:14 pm »
<because I just could not resist the call of "Was Lureen a lesbian or bi, maybe?",  O0 pops in to say>

I feel compelled to comment but nothing I want to say is productive or "generous". I'll say it in emoticons

::) ??? :o 8) ;)

I guess I'll head back over to Heath Heath Heath where the world is still round and Heath is not a lesbian

You go, girlfriend!  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2008, 05:36:41 pm »
Rouxb and Jeff!!

Rouxb, since you brought that up and it seems supported, how do you know that Heath is not lesbian?

Does he act like one?

How do we know? Does he want to be?

Hugs! Note that the subject is this thread is serious too, please. I am glad of your pleasant nature too! There are different kinds of sexual orientation, ans maybe Lureen is a lesbian, which I applaud her if she is. Heath can be what he wants too (I accept that): drag that too, if you like?? I don't think that Lureen wanted a sex change, even if she was a lesbian!!-Do you?

moremojo

« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2008, 05:51:46 pm »
Rouxb, since you brought that up and it seems supported, how do you know that Heath is not lesbian?

Does he act like one?

How do we know? Does he want to be?

Heath can be what he wants too (I accept that): drag that too, if you like?? I don't think that Lureen wanted a sex change, even if she was a lesbian!!-Do you?
??? I'm lost, Artiste. Heath...lesbian...hunh?

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2008, 10:11:41 pm »

Them were the good old days, this morning, when the world was still round.  :(

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2008, 01:11:53 am »
and he graced it with his lesbian presence.

He was mine for a time

:'(

Heathen

Offline Artiste

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:03 pm »
When can laugh... that' s good too!! I still think that this thread subject is important... as a question!!

Lureen started to come out?

She did so before... and then what?

Considering it... helps.

Hugs!! You might find this question disturbing; you might also respect Lureen in a different light!! ??

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2008, 07:37:38 pm »
I don't think it was the writers intent that the Laureen character was to be Bi or Lesbian.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2008, 12:25:07 pm »
Thanks RossInIllinois!

To quote you:
I don't think it was the writers intent that the Laureen character was to be Bi or Lesbian.

To answer you Ross: do we know that the screen writers did not intend that the Lureen character was to be Lesbian or Bisexual?? Did both or one mention that, may I ask??

To me, there is some proof, or some things, that can be considered that in the BM movie Lureen is indeed Lesbian or Bisexual!! It remains to be explored??

Hugs!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #62 on: June 15, 2008, 09:43:48 am »
It seems that Lureen was a lesbian or bi, at least !! ??