Author Topic: Was Ennis Gay?  (Read 19576 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Was Ennis Gay?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2006, 03:13:40 am »
I am certain Ennis was gay. The infamous "closet scene" at the end only reinforced this.

That was  true love.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 02:39:43 am »
I voted 'bi' because i think he was struggling to identify what he was.......

But as an observer, I think he looked more comfortable making love with a bloke than he did with a lady.......

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 03:06:12 am »
Poor lady! GIMMIE A BREAK...
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline JT

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 12:55:26 pm »
I think Ennis is a deeply closeted gay.  He's only at peace with himself when he with Jack (a man).

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2006, 01:35:58 pm »
After all this time...I don't know.  I'm leaning heavily toward the repressed gay, but in the story/movie you get the biggest impression that even Ennis isn't sure.

He loves Jack, that's beyond doubt, but allowed himself to go into male/female relationships as well, in the story he admits he likes sex with women, but in the movie, had Cassie not been aggressive, it doesn't look like Ennis would have gone with her or was never trolling for women.

But of course you also get the impression Ennis wouldn't have gone after any man either.

However, when someone is deeply in love, sometimes they don't even look at another person that way because they don't want to.

It seems Ennis has a healthy sex life with and without Jack, but it also appears he can go without sex for long periods of time without a problem.

Could he been one of those people who describe themselves as 'asexual'?  People who can take or leave sex?

Ennis gay or not?  I can't say with any certainty but Proulx and Lee were certain that he was, so that settles that.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2006, 08:53:24 pm »
I would say that Ennis is indeed gay.  I even believe his father thought so, thus the trip to view the mutilated corpse of a gay rancher, in order to "scare" the gay tendency away. 

moremojo

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 09:22:11 pm »
I would say that Ennis is indeed gay.  I even believe his father thought so, thus the trip to view the mutilated corpse of a gay rancher, in order to "scare" the gay tendency away. 
Keep in mind that the father takes both Ennis and his older brother K.E. to view Earl's corpse. This makes his motivation more complex than if he had chosen to take only one of the boys to the gruesome scene. I have felt that the father was showing his sons the body to reinforce the idea that this is what "queers" deserved, of what they themselves should visit upon such men should they encounter them in the course of their lives. As for extinguishing any "soft" or "sissy" tendencies in the boys, given the harsh, macho environment in which they were raised, that "education" probably began from the moment they exited their mother's womb.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 01:34:31 am »
I have felt that the father was showing his sons the body to reinforce the idea that this is what "queers" deserved, of what they themselves should visit upon such men should they encounter them in the course of their lives. As for extinguishing any "soft" or "sissy" tendencies in the boys, given the harsh, macho environment in which they were raised, that "education" probably began from the moment they exited their mother's womb.

It is even more frightening when I realize that there are still plenty of people in this country who still think like that.

Things have changed very little in some parts of our country, and the world.

This makes me think of something else I use to hear people say all the time: "The more things change, the more they stay the same".   :(
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 05:03:45 pm »

Oooh interesting theory!  Good one.

And if you're going to take one boy to see the corpse, mind as well take both brothers...
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 05:06:48 pm by sfericsf »

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 03:51:33 am »

I have always thought he was bi.. He really had no aversions to gay, other than the fears
his own father had put into him.  He had decided he liked women ok, and he found one that
liked him ok... and probably would have continued his life in a rather ho hum situation, if not for
having met jack..Jack however taught him that love and sex were intertwined.  NOt just a by-product of a marriage.  From then on, he knew what he wanted. 
     He however still had the fear,  all that, would mean..Plus he didnt want to leave his children, orphaned, as he had been..I think he then decided to make the best of the unfortunate situation.  To carry on an affair, and just keep on keeping on...No satisfaction for anyone.  But that is what kind of a decision a passive aggressive person would tend to choose.  It would seem like the logically simple answer...However as we all know,,,it just doesnt work out that way in the end...He then was set on a path, that he neither could or would detour from.
     He then found he was too late smart..that he was gay, and he had obstructed his entire
life and Jacks as well.  And possibly hastened the very thing he was so afraid of. The coming of the "tire irons."
   im not a male and im not gay, or lesbian either, its just my observation of human nature.
                                                                                              janice

Beautiful mind