Author Topic: Was Ennis Gay?  (Read 19422 times)

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
Re: Was Ennis Gay?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 05:50:01 pm »
Maybe he masturbated thinking of Clint Eastwood as a teenager, who knows? That certainly would have been an interesting deleted scene  ;D

LOL, good one Mandy, however you spell that word.
I voted yes too. Have no phD in psychology, or anything, either, but he is so manly I'm not surprised he had to fall in (real) love with a man.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 09:11:10 pm »
Oh, as a person who has had formal college classes in psychology and also done academic style research related to the psychology of sexual orientation, I say that Ennis was not gay . . . But, IMO, his sexual orientation would more than likely be exclusively homosexual.

Unhappy homophobic homosexuals ain't gay; 'cause they ain't happy just being themselves!

Has anyone here ever asked a psychiatrist or a psychologist, "Do you think closeted homosexuals should be called 'gay'?"

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 04:43:02 pm »
Ennis is Gay.     Just because a guy is masculine and has sex with women doesn't mean he is bisexual or "environmentally changed" to think he was Gay.

I am very masculine.   I had no Gay influences growing up.   I always thought some of my male classmates were attractive.   I didn't feel any desire to date girls, but eventually did to "conform" to what was expected.   Sure, Gay guys CAN perform sexual acts with girls.  Eventually I realized that I had to be myself.   But as Ennis found out, he wanted Jack, not Alma.     Hell, Ennis didn't want anyone but Jack, male or female.   That is Love.

If Ennis was Bisexual, he'd be nailing cute girls in town like cassie with no regrets.   But I think Ennis only dated Cassie to keep his "Straight" mask on.    Thats why after the big fight with Jack, he knew it was pointless to keep leading her on.    Even Ennis knew by then that he was Gay.

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 02:39:28 am »
o, Ennis wasn't gay , and I'm not a woman.
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 12:31:51 pm »
o, Ennis wasn't gay , and I'm not a woman.

Really?  LOL JK

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 02:29:47 pm »
It's an interesting, one that I've seen elsewhere, I think even in the Safe Haven section.  To me it comes down to what the definition of gay is, and I mean gay versus homosexual.  I think of a homo as someone who is attracted to their own sex.  But being gay to me is an identity that you take on, not one that is put on you because of who you sleep with. 

But I also understand how many, probably most, people use the two interchangeably. If you asked Ennis if he was gay, he might wanna slug you and deny it.  At some point in his life maybe he became more accepting of his sexuality and even started to come out.  But I get how gay is used as shorthand.  I just don't always agree that a man to a woman who has sex with men is automatically 'gay'. 

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 02:36:11 pm »
Then perhaps it can be said that there is a big difference in "being Gay" and "Acting Gay".

I am not particularly fond of guys who are too flamboyant.  I want a Man, not some swishy stereotype.     LOL

My apologies to any swishy, flamboyant guys on this board.    :-X

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 02:46:35 pm »
LOL, well that's a different issue.  It's funny, I have some friends who are queens who I enjoy until they become waaaay bitchy.  But I'm more put off by muscle boys who are queeny as well.  Go figure.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

tiawahcowboy

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 05:57:40 pm »
In the past 20 plus years, I have known quite a few out-of-the-closet homosexual men who were also openly gay.

Most of them were just comfortable being themselves and they did not "act gay," all the while their body language and speech patterns were spread out between being almost hyper-masculine and rather nelly queens.

But, even the most effeminate types did not feel that they had to put on makeup or dress like women to be gay.

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2006, 11:58:39 am »
This is a very interesting question to me. I am a gay man myself, and when I first saw Brokeback, back on February 18th, I felt that Ennis was a primarily heterosexual man who somehow formed this extraordinary bond of love with another person who happened to be a man. An important component of this interpretation was the fact that nowhere in the film do we ever have the sense that Ennis is attracted to any other man than Jack. From my experience and observation, this is very unusual for a homosexual man, though it is not impossible.

For the record, my sister, a straight woman, also had this same feeling that Ennis was an otherwise straight person who happened to fall in love with another man. She felt this was one of the most provocative and radical implications of the story, that the heart can lead us in directions that we might never have imagined going.

Over time, I have now come to interpret Ennis as a very repressed homosexual man. There are a number of valuable albeit sometimes subtle clues to support this view. There is a lot of evidence that Ennis is attracted to Jack from very early in their association, quite possibly from the moment he first set eyes on him. By the time of the first tent scene, there is no question that Ennis is attracted to Jack physically as well as emotionally, regardless of the specifics of his sexual identity. But later remarks that Ennis makes in the story, including the "Do you ever think people know?" comment to the "You're the reason I'm this way" rebuke in the lakeside quarrel, strongly suggest that, at least by the time he utters these words, Ennis has come to see himself as homosexual (or at least as a man attracted to another man), however much he may hate to think of himself this way. By story's end, Ennis can certainly no longer doubt Jack's homosexuality, and I think he has essentially come to terms with the realization that theirs was a homosexual relationship, if not necessarily with the conception of himself as specifically homosexual. He certainly loves Jack, a gay man, is conscious of this love, and this suggests to me that he may have accepted a homosexual identity for himself.

I really like this interpretation. I think Ennis was gay, although I cannot be sure (I love the brilliant ambiguity), and I think over time, he eventually came to accept it (even if it was still his little secret).
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger