Author Topic: Smokes and Fire  (Read 10738 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Smokes and Fire
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 09:09:26 pm »
Good one Mikaela,

Yup, that photo seems very appropriate to the thread.  Those cigs are certainly suggestive in numerous ways.

My question about the pic is sort of off topic... is that a true still from the film or is it another promo photo? 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2006, 06:02:22 pm »
I think it's probably a snippet that wasn't used directly - I think looks like a photo of the actual scene in the film in progress, from a slightly different angle. At any rate I believe it's close enough to the actual scene, and that both actors are in character - so IMO it's OK to use it in this thread.

Offline LauraGigs

• My Design Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2006, 08:55:05 pm »
Another potent (sorry) image to me is the positioning of the fire in the shot just prior to the first tent scene. 

(Basically right in front of Ennis' groin area — a seething volcano of masculine energy about to be released?  Or am I seeing too much/getting too explicit?)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »
I don't think you're off the mark, LauraGigs.  Just look at the positioning of that coffee pot when Ennis is stretched out there.  ;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2006, 07:07:17 am »
Isn't that one of the behind-the-scenes things it would be - ahem - interesting to watch in a Collector's Edition DVD?

You know, Ang Lee and Rodrigo Prieto and Heath..... setting up camera angles, having Heath find exactly the right place and position... for the shot to look just like that. Must have taken some effort on all their parts after all. It's certainly far from a coincidence.  ;)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2008, 05:57:54 pm »
There's been a lot of discussions of ashes in the story and the movie...not all of it has made it onto this topic. We'll have to do some catch-up. Currently I'm reading a story in the Close Range collection that brings up the metaphor of ashes as well:

She had two women friends, Pamela Gratt and Ruth Wolfe, both of them burning at a slower rate than Josanna, but in their own desperate ways also disintegrating into drifts of ash.

This is from A Lonely Coast, a story about Wyoming that imagines it as the coastline of an ancient ocean, which it is, buffeted not by waves but by wind.
"chewing gum and duct tape"