Author Topic: Does Jack know that is or is not his child?  (Read 12064 times)

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Does Jack know that is or is not his child?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 04:54:01 pm »
Whoa cowboy! Let the horses munch on some clover for a while and rest.

Lets both agree that the short story and the film are two separate but equally valid creations. Lets both agree that anyone can critique both or either as long as you are careful not to mix the two.

For the purposes of a discussion about Lureen's pregnancy on this thread and also on other threads, I chose information from the film that led me to the conclusion that Jack is not the biological father of Bobby. Many here on Bettermost disagree with my conclusions. I am not a stranger to controversy. On other threads most everyone disagrees with my conclusion that Jack Twist was adopted, or my conclusion that Aguirre is an OK boss, or my conclusion that the heteronorming elements in the film were added by the screenwriters in order to boost marketability - to just name a few.

You can ignore that information which I saw on the film, or believe that it was just a mistake on the part of the director and screenwriters to include that information, or a misinterpretation on my part.  All AOK with me.

But to say that there is not valid basis upon which to critique the film if it disagrees with the ss seems rather odd to me. If I am misinterpreting your conclusion, then mea culpa. If not, please tell me why we can not for the purposes of analysis treat the ss and film as separate and distinct works?   
Besides the mistakes the screen writers or maybe even the prop department that had the cards printed made,  NO reference was made in either the movie or the short that the child borne to Laureen Twist was not that of Jack Twist. So why try to make something out of a printing or writing error? Unless you have other evidence you have to rule out the before mentioned first IMO. If a writer was trying to send a message such as you suggest I think a little red headed or blond Bobby would have been a better choice to convey that message don't you think? The Boy they used in the screen play was cast to look like Jack IMO.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 05:13:12 pm »
Thanks all of you... interesting!!

May I dare ask if Jack and Lureen's Twist child, was maybe adopted??

As some or one of you thought that Jack twist had been adopted maybe or so, then he would have more easily adopted a child?

Hugs!!

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2008, 05:43:24 pm »
Thanks all of you... interesting!!

May I dare ask if Jack and Lureen's Twist child, was maybe adopted??

As some or one of you thought that Jack twist had been adopted maybe or so, then he would have more easily adopted a child?

Hugs!!

Now what in the movie or original short would cultivate such a question?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2008, 06:06:24 pm »
Ross, to me in the movie that child does not look like Jack nor like Lureen!!

I have other(s) reasons, which maybe I will mention later;

I aks you what makes you think that that child is theirs DNA wise, etc. ??

Hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2008, 11:49:57 pm »
:laugh:  And that's not even getting into the political discussion threads!

I agree that Aguirre is an OK boss (a jerk, but not a bad boss). And I agree that the film is every bit as "real" as the story, and as legitimate a work for analysis. When the film and story diverge, they should be considered separately. But one does not automatically trump the other, possible timeline mistakes and other bloopers notwithstanding.

Hi ineedcrayons!

Yep, I forgot that I'm kind of an iconoclast on the "current events" forum too! Its great to be on a web site where almost no one totally agrees with me, but we strive to keep the tone friendly and the discourse informative. I wish that I could convince more conservative gay men to post here, so far not much luck, but I'll keep on trying.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2008, 11:54:09 pm »
Ross, to me in the movie that child does not look like Jack nor like Lureen!!

I have other(s) reasons, which maybe I will mention later;

I aks you what makes you think that that child is theirs DNA wise, etc. ??

Hugs!!

No Artiste, I don't think that Bobby is adopted.

But remember the thread I started a few months back called, "Was Jack Twist Adopted?" I do think that Jack Twist is the adopted son of OMT and Mrs Twist, and I like the symmetry that Bobby is not Jack's biological son.

hugs!

Online serious crayons

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2008, 01:19:32 am »
I wish that I could convince more conservative gay men to post here, so far not much luck, but I'll keep on trying.

You mean, neither of them wants to come here?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry. That was totally uncalled for.  ::)

You're right, diversity is great -- especially when, as you say, the conversation is friendly and informative. And brokeplex, I have to tell you that despite being vastly outnumbered you really have done your part toward maintaining that civilized tone. Kudos. I hope your friends and fellow conservatives do stop by.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2008, 01:29:27 am »
You are still funny!

It would surprise you to know how many gay men are out there who are very conservative, because so many are still closeted. These are the Jack Twists and Ennis Delmars of the world. Most of my friends are recently out of the closet and believe me, I am the LIBERAL of the group!

Thanks for your kind words, I think that we all have learned from each other here on Bettermost.  I said to a friend who ribbed me about the time I spend here on line, Where the hell else I am going to have candid conversations with large groups of straight, liberal women?

I think that we need the diverse opinions of everyone, it helps us learn about others and more importantly OURSELVES.

Online serious crayons

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2008, 02:06:59 am »
I think that we need the diverse opinions of everyone, it helps us learn about others and more importantly OURSELVES.

YOU BET.