Author Topic: Sign This Petition Against the Anti-Gay Constitutional Amendment  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Senator Frist is planning a vote to amend the U.S. Consitution to forbid same-sex marriage.  The vote will occur the week of June 15.

If you a U.S. citizen, please sign this petition to oppose it:

http://www.giveemhellharry.com/page/petition/realissues/fdmkid

Thank you,

Imp
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Sign This Petition Against the Anti-Gay Constitutional Amendment
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:13:02 am »
Done.  I sent it to several friends to sign, also.  Thanks for posting this.

For what it's worth, here's the "Comment" I added:

"Forbidding gay marriage does *not* strengthen the institutions of marriage and families.  It weakens them.  You are helping to force homosexual men to live a lie - and in some cases to marry women they do not love because it's "the right thing to do" and destroy their own lives and their wives' in the process.  We cannot help who we love.  We shouldn't be disallowed by the Constitution to build a life around the person we love.  I thought it was supposed to be about granting U.S. citizens rights, not taking them away.  Shame on you and everyone else who thinks the way you do on this issue."

I dunno - just felt inspired.  ;)
No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 10:21:31 am »
Done.  I sent it to several friends to sign, also.  Thanks for posting this.

For what it's worth, here's the "Comment" I added:

"Forbidding gay marriage does *not* strengthen the institutions of marriage and families.  It weakens them.  You are helping to force homosexual men to live a lie - and in some cases to marry women they do not love because it's "the right thing to do" and destroy their own lives and their wives' in the process.  We cannot help who we love.  We shouldn't be disallowed by the Constitution to build a life around the person we love.  I thought it was supposed to be about granting U.S. citizens rights, not taking them away.  Shame on you and everyone else who thinks the way you do on this issue."

I dunno - just felt inspired.  ;)
Hey all, I signed it too, and sent it off to twenty friends. I too posted a comment, and had to choose my language carefully, as this kind of unabashed hatred really raises my hackles. Homophobia--the last socially legitimated form of discrimination in the U.S. Sad...

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:44:58 pm by moremojo »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:25:35 am »
Here is another way to go:

The human Rights Campaign makes it very easy to send a post card to Senators opposing a federal marriage amendment to write discrimination into the U.S. Constitution. Citizens of the U.S., please consider participating in this effort, as the vote will come up on June 5.

Thank you for signing the postcard to oppose the Federal
Marriage Amendment. We will hand-deliver the postcards to
Senators on June 5.

Please make sure to tell ten friends to sign the postcard as
well! Click here to tell ten friends:
http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/campaign/fma_postcards/forward

Sincerely,
Human Rights Campaign

If you would like to unsubscribe from a specific Human Rights
Campaign list, or update your account settings, you can visit
your Subscription Management Page:
http://www.hrcactioncenter.org/actioncenter/smp.tcl?nkey=igiubd3a0n&
"chewing gum and duct tape"

vkm91941

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 11:46:04 am »
Done, with comments and I sent it to everyone in my address book

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 01:26:21 pm »
Can’t vote.  However, I offer my most passionate emotional support if that counts.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 02:14:33 pm »
Done!

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 04:45:03 pm »
Done and added more than my 2 cents worth!
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline Becky

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • No one can resist the Twist!
    • Myspace site, kinda scary but I like it!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:00:11 pm »
I would if I could, but I can't so I shant! Sorry not US citizen but as Jenny said before, I offer my full support.  ;D
"Look too often at those hills, lie too long beside those rippling rivers, and you may think you are hearing a love song, when actually it is a death song." Larry McMurtry, Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 05:43:31 pm »
I would if I could, but I can't so I shant! Sorry not US citizen but as Jenny said before, I offer my full support.  ;D

ditto peeps! and also bumping to let others see
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 05:32:15 am »
I've signed similar petitions and I know that all of my representatives (Diane Feinstein, Barbara Boxer, and Nancy Pelosi) would never vote for such a thing.  Thanks God.

Barb, I'm going to quote you to my brother.  He supports the FMA because it defines marriage as the bible defines it.  He doesn't have a problem with gay people having relationships, "but you can't call it a marriage when it's not," he says.  Yeesh!  He doesn't get the whole "It's not a marriage to you but it is to me" thing.  This is what drives me nuts about religiously dogmatic people who can't look up from their text to see the reality of the people around them.  He's a good guy though.  Really. :-\

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 05:48:32 am »
Kelda and Becky, I'm not American as you know, and I have just signed this petition. There're times when you don't need to stand on principle too much. I just gave my French postcode, which works as a zipcode (apparently it's Alabama's!). So go ahead all you non Americans and sign it. Use my zipcode if you like: 35230.

I did it because this is very important to me, and as a citizen of the world, if not of the US, I thought I could try and contribute.
Hope you Americans don't find this obnoxious/flippant of me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 09:56:05 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 08:36:43 am »
Barb, I'm going to quote you to my brother.  He supports the FMA because it defines marriage as the bible defines it.  He doesn't have a problem with gay people having relationships, "but you can't call it a marriage when it's not," he says.  Yeesh!  He doesn't get the whole "It's not a marriage to you but it is to me" thing.  This is what drives me nuts about religiously dogmatic people who can't look up from their text to see the reality of the people around them.  He's a good guy though.  Really. :-\

Has he seen the movie, Kirk?  Unfortunately, neither of my brothers ever will.  The eldest just isn't into movies at all and hasn't seen any in years, and the next eldest is but said about it shortly after the Oscars, "You know I'll never watch it, but I don't get how something can win every other award imaginable and then not win that one."  They're both very conservative, but the latter is at least a Libertarian, so he says "I wouldn't want to be with another guy, but who am I to tell other guys they can't?"  Perhaps it helps that we're a family of atheists - we all were jaded on the religion thing very long ago.

It kills me when Bible thumpers think they have the corner on the market of defining what marriage is.  "Marriage is between a man and a woman."  First of all, when you ask them where exactly in the Bible it states that (which I have many times, just for shits and giggles), most of them can't tell you.  And the ones that can use, as usual, some highly subjective passage.  Not to mention that they're quoting a book that was written a couple thousand years ago.  And us straighties have it down, do we?  How come the divorce rate is 51% last I checked?  Meanwhile, the four gay couples I know personally who have been partnered for years are still going strong at 8, 12, 15 and 20 years with no end in sight.

And how come God chose only those people in that time to talk to, anyway?  What?  He's done talkin', now, is he?  WTF?

Sorry.  I could go on all day.  But I'll stop myself before I get myself in heap big trouble.
No more beans!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 08:43:01 am »
ednbarby: I have a good paper article about this subject matter, that I think you would love, but can't post here because "file too large". Does anyone know how to make a file smaller? I can email you my article, you make it smaller and post it here for everyone? (It is a 2004 NYTimes article, not to be read for free on the net, so I can't just post a link).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 06:07:13 pm by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 06:03:25 pm »
Barb - I don't know if he's seen the movie.  I think he might have menitoned it during a phone conversation when I was telling him about all the time I was spending on the imdb boards but I don't remember what he said.

He's one of those that don't react to gay marriage negatively as something they don't understand, as so many do.  Rather he truly believes homosexuality to be spiritually damaging to those who engage in it, that God wants something else for us.  I've told him that it's definitely what God wants for me.  He has encouraged me to find God in the Bible but I've told him I will never be Christian as the Bible and I don't see eye to eye on the nature of God.  He sees it as THE WORD.  I'm glad it works for him but I do wish he would disregard the part that says "No one comes to God but through me," 'cause that's simply not true.

Is the divorce rate really 51%?  That's an improvement over an Oprah I watched a few years ago when it was 62%.  Does anyone really think gay people can do worse?  Then again, if they were allowed to, they would probably end up marrying too young like all of their friends in areas where it's common to do so just because that's what you do.  I know I stupidly wanted to marry my first love.  Good thing we were only together for 8 weeks.  :o

Before it got deleted I was having a lengthy debate on TOB with a guy who's name will come to me later about gay marriage, among other things.  He was a smart guy and only had to result to faith based arguments toward the end.  But eventually it will always come down to that.  And no one has the right to put their religious beliefs into laws that everyone has to follow.  Not in this country anyway.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2006, 07:51:10 pm »
Is the divorce rate really 51%?  That's an improvement over an Oprah I watched a few years ago when it was 62%.  Does anyone really think gay people can do worse?  Then again, if they were allowed to, they would probably end up marrying too young like all of their friends in areas where it's common to do so just because that's what you do.  I know I stupidly wanted to marry my first love.  Good thing we were only together for 8 weeks.  :o

Before it got deleted I was having a lengthy debate on TOB with a guy who's name will come to me later about gay marriage, among other things.  He was a smart guy and only had to result to faith based arguments toward the end.  But eventually it will always come down to that.  And no one has the right to put their religious beliefs into laws that everyone has to follow.  Not in this country anyway.

You nailed it in those last two sentences.  Unfortunately, our current leadership thinks they have the right to legislate their view of morality.  That's GOT to change.

As for the 51% statistic, I got it from the first couple of paragraphs cited in the article at this link:

http://www.divorcereform.org/nyt05.html

Interestingly, this article talks about how arriving at that statistic is wrong, and a better estimate, as of 2003, anyway, is 41%.  Still, 59% ain't exactly a rousing success rate.  And when I think about it, about one in every three of my straight friends has been divorced (my husband included - he married a girl he only knew a relatively short time right out of pilot training - he describes it as the biggest mistake of his life - by far).  Some more than once.

The main point, which you made so well, is what gives anyone the right to decide that their belief system is the *only* valid one?  No offense where your brother is concerned, but I find evangelical Christians to be quite possibly the most arrogant people who walk the face of the earth.  I used to think, "Well, some of them mean well..."  But I don't believe that's true at all anymore.  I think they use their religion as a justification for judging others, and in turn feeling better about themselves.

No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 12:24:17 am »
Thanks, Impish, for starting this thread...I have the dubious distinction of Frist being one of my Senators...sanctimonious, misguided, etc. imo....I've added a suggestion to the new forum idea thread that we have a central place for posts like this andn to generate discussion about our 'activism', how and where to be more effective, etc...If any of y'all have ideas on the subject, please go there and add them.

-Lynne
"Laß sein. Laß sein."