Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142262 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #1000 on: January 28, 2009, 09:58:54 pm »
Yes, Monika, I had been looking for it too, so thank you very much for posting it.  Thank you to everyone who posts Heath info.  I read it all.

I will also add my grateful appreciation. Even now I still love to read or see anything to do with Heath.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #1001 on: January 30, 2009, 04:02:09 pm »
EverGreen Retracts Heath Ledger Release Statement
January 30, 2009 - Global | Publishing

By Andre Paine, London

EverGreen Copyrights has issued a statement retracting a claim it made that a Nick Drake tribute project would include a video featuring the late actor Heath Ledger.

The announcement was made Jan. 18 during the MidemNet digital music conference in Cannes. A tribute album featuring covers of Drake songs -- controlled by EverGreen -- is going ahead. The artists involved and track listings have not been finalized yet. It is set for release via for Johnson's Brushfire Records.

However, the publisher has now made clear that a DVD package won't include Heath Ledger's version of "Black Eyed Dog," filmed in late 2007 for a multimedia installation but never officially released.

EverGreen's co-CEO Richard W. Perna expressed "regret" over the making of the "incorrect" statement about the inclusion of Ledger's video.

"We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or embarrassment caused to Mr Ledger's estate, Nick Drake's estate, Brushfire Records, or anyone else involved with the tribute album," said Perna in a statement.

English singer/songwriter Drake was little-known when he died of a drug overdose in 1974 aged 26. His influence has grown in the decades since, though, and his profile increased dramatically after his song "Pink Moon" was used in a 2000 Volkswagen commercial.

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1002 on: February 08, 2009, 06:24:33 pm »
Heath won the best supporting actor BAFTA tonight.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5u966OMYyc
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:41:54 pm by MilAn »

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #1003 on: February 12, 2009, 07:27:28 pm »
Heath Ledger Fans Call for Joker's Retirement From Film

By Scott Thill
February 09, 2009

Heath Ledger's flawless acting, and tragic passing, immortalized his portrayal of the Joker in Christopher Nolan's Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight. But should Ledger's killer clown be the last Joker to grace the big screen?

That's what the fanboys over at a new site called The Ultimate Joker are arguing. They've launched a petition calling for studios to withdraw the character for good from any future Batman movies, a somewhat strange request given all the actors who have stepped into the Joker's murderous shoes on screens large and small.

"We truly believe Ledger's performance as Joker is the best an actor could ever do," the site's team leader, Fer Barbella, told Wired.com in an e-mail interview.

"Any other performance will be below expectations for sure, so we want to forever keep Ledger's Joker as the one," added Barbella, who launched The Ultimate Joker site last week with his colleague Nico Pimentel.

From Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero to Larry Storch, Mark Hamill and the underrated Kevin Michael Richardson, Batman's nemesis has been brought to life by some serious talent. Banning Joker from the silver screen might seem like an unreasonable request on its garish face, but the team at The Ultimate Joker is standing by it, and no doubt will be aided if Ledger takes home a posthumous Oscar later this month for his portrayal.

In addition to the online petition, The Ultimate Joker site operators have fired up an Ultimate Joker Flickr pool and posted downloadable web graphics to let others show their support.

Barbella says his crew is only interested in film portrayals, though.

"Television and animation is off our radar," he says. "And we like Jokers like Cesar Romero or Jack Nicholson, and even the voice of Mark Hamill. But we think this psycho in scarred whiteface is the best ever. No one can improve it. So please, Hollywood, use other enemies in the sequels to come."

It is perhaps a plea that Hollywood will ignore in pursuit of profit. After all, the buzz created by the conundrum of who will follow in Ledger's footsteps could be worth hundreds of millions on its own.

But it's a fair question: Should Hollywood retire the Joker from film? Was Heath Ledger the greatest Joker of all time? Why so serious? Shoot us your thoughts in the comment section below.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/heath-ledger-nu.html
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1004 on: February 13, 2009, 03:33:50 am »
I signed the petition even  if I don't  disagree with the casting of a new Joker. Life goes on, times change, I just think that a long time, many years in actual fact, should go by. IMHO this is what will happen, Heath's Joker has been far too successful, it will be a very big challenge to step in his shoes. 
BbM, I swear

retropian

« Reply #1005 on: February 13, 2009, 04:51:12 am »
Heath Ledger Fans Call for Joker's Retirement From Film

By Scott Thill
February 09, 2009

Heath Ledger's flawless acting, and tragic passing, immortalized his portrayal of the Joker in Christopher Nolan's Batman blockbuster The Dark Knight. But should Ledger's killer clown be the last Joker to grace the big screen?

That's what the fanboys over at a new site called The Ultimate Joker are arguing. They've launched a petition calling for studios to withdraw the character for good from any future Batman movies, a somewhat strange request given all the actors who have stepped into the Joker's murderous shoes on screens large and small.

"We truly believe Ledger's performance as Joker is the best an actor could ever do," the site's team leader, Fer Barbella, told Wired.com in an e-mail interview.

"Any other performance will be below expectations for sure, so we want to forever keep Ledger's Joker as the one," added Barbella, who launched The Ultimate Joker site last week with his colleague Nico Pimentel.

From Jack Nicholson and Cesar Romero to Larry Storch, Mark Hamill and the underrated Kevin Michael Richardson, Batman's nemesis has been brought to life by some serious talent. Banning Joker from the silver screen might seem like an unreasonable request on its garish face, but the team at The Ultimate Joker is standing by it, and no doubt will be aided if Ledger takes home a posthumous Oscar later this month for his portrayal.

In addition to the online petition, The Ultimate Joker site operators have fired up an Ultimate Joker Flickr pool and posted downloadable web graphics to let others show their support.

Barbella says his crew is only interested in film portrayals, though.

"Television and animation is off our radar," he says. "And we like Jokers like Cesar Romero or Jack Nicholson, and even the voice of Mark Hamill. But we think this psycho in scarred whiteface is the best ever. No one can improve it. So please, Hollywood, use other enemies in the sequels to come."

It is perhaps a plea that Hollywood will ignore in pursuit of profit. After all, the buzz created by the conundrum of who will follow in Ledger's footsteps could be worth hundreds of millions on its own.

But it's a fair question: Should Hollywood retire the Joker from film? Was Heath Ledger the greatest Joker of all time? Why so serious? Shoot us your thoughts in the comment section below.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/heath-ledger-nu.html

Well these reasons alone would discourage any actor:

I think the original plan was to bring back Heath as the Joker in the next Batman installment. Since that is impossible now, either another actor steps in or the next film does not reference the Joker at all(except to honor Heath). I hope it is the latter, but if another actor takes up the challenge I'd have to admire his bravery. He'd have to be someone who is energized by the challenge and have a strong desire to put his own stamp on the character. I can't think who that might be. Christopher Nolan said he wanted Heath in the role after watching him embody Ennis. He thought Heath was fearless and without ego, qualities he knew would serve the portrayal of the Joker.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #1006 on: February 13, 2009, 12:09:36 pm »
      I truly loved Heath, still do.  But I think to take this tack is to do hiim an extreme disservice.  He would not
have approved of this, I dont think.  He would never have thought of himself in terms of the be all and end all
for how a character should be played.  He was truly the best ever so far, as far as I am concerned.  I think I
loved the movie and the portrayal as much as anyone.  But I think that the character was an iconic persona, in
the comic venue.  He was one of the people to give his interpretation to that character.  There will be many
others in the future, I am sure.  Probably not soon, but still eventually there will be a time when it is going to
be considered all right, and even a tribute to Heath, to have it done again.  I think that there are many more
productive ways, and reasonable ones as well to pay tribute to him.  I think this is only going to cause a great
deal of people out there, to have ill feelings toward him, for this thing that he has no control over.
     I personally think that getting him a star on Hollywood blvd.  Or to contribute to one of his scholarships that
have been set up since his demise, are much more of a tribute, than this...

Beautiful mind

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #1007 on: February 13, 2009, 12:13:27 pm »
      I truly loved Heath, still do.  But I think to take this tack is to do hiim an extreme disservice.  He would not
have approved of this, I dont think.  He would never have thought of himself in terms of the be all and end all
for how a character should be played.  He was truly the best ever so far, as far as I am concerned.  I think I
loved the movie and the portrayal as much as anyone.  But I think that the character was an iconic persona, in
the comic venue.  He was one of the people to give his interpretation to that character.  There will be many
others in the future, I am sure.  Probably not soon, but still eventually there will be a time when it is going to
be considered all right and even a tribute to Heath to have it done again.  I think that there are many more
productive ways, and reasonable ones as well to pay tribute to him.  I think this is only going to cause a great
deal of people out there, to have ill feelings toward him, for this thing that he has no control over.
     I personally think that getting him a star on Hollywood blvd.  Or to contribute to one of his scholarships that
I have to agree. I donĀ“t see the point.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #1008 on: February 13, 2009, 03:42:43 pm »
be considered all right, and even a tribute to Heath, to have it done again.  I think that there are many more

I fully agree, Janice. Well said.

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #1009 on: February 14, 2009, 04:17:19 am »

I find myself agreeing with what you say as well. I signed the petition because  I don't want to see another Joker too soon.  I suppose I am being selfish, and contradictory, but right now I can't help it.
BbM, I swear