Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142251 times)

yb

Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #540 on: February 08, 2008, 11:04:38 pm »
Kim Ledger addresses the media before the funeral:

Thanks for world support: Ledger family
9th February 2008, 11:15 WST

Kim Ledger, wearing dark glasses and a black suit, arrived briefly at his ex-wife Sally's Applecross home just before 10.30am accompanied by family friend Alison Carroll-Jung.

Mr Ledger addressed the waiting media, and Ms Carroll-Jung gave details of the memorial service which will be held at Penhros College in Como at midday.

Mr Ledger spoke without the aid of a statement. He said:

"I know that a lot of you have travelled from all around the world to take footage, as much as you can, of our ceremony for Heath.

"What we've done is we've organised, in conjunction with the police and where it is being held, for you all to have an area where you can take unfettered photos of people arriving and for that matter, mourners leaving the ceremony.

"Other than that I would just ask you if you wouldn't mind just to respect our privacy.

"The funeral will be very, very private.

"There will only be ten people there, which is my immediate family and nobody else.

"That's all I really have to say. I'm sorry that, you know, we really haven't had a chance to expose ourselves for you guys but, ah, it's a pretty sad time and we're finding it difficult to cope by ourselves let alone cope with everybody around the world.

"Having said that, we do really appreciate the outpouring of and the emotional support, from all over the globe which, suffice to say, we are luckier than most families.......most families that are in our position, in our grieving position, don't receive that kind of support.

"So thankyou all very much."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=22&ContentID=57851

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #541 on: February 08, 2008, 11:07:25 pm »
Well, the article mentioned something about a wake. I don't know if the Australian meaning is the same as it is here. We don't use that word too often, at least not here in the Midwest. But a "wake" is not a funeral. Over here a wake is the visitation or the viewing. So we really don't know about the funeral. Which is good, because if those fools from WBC found out, they'd try to wreck it.  >:(  :'(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

yb

« Reply #542 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:38 pm »
From what I understand, the wake, if there would be, will be held on Heath's favourite beach, after the funeral.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #543 on: February 08, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »
Wakes are always held prior to a funeral and burial.  Who knows what is really going on, we might not know until it is all over!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline ptannen

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #544 on: February 08, 2008, 11:42:33 pm »

Kim Ledger, wearing dark glasses and a black suit, arrived briefly at his ex-wife Sally's Applecross home just before 10.30am accompanied by family friend Alison Carroll-Jung.

Mr Ledger addressed the waiting media, and Ms Carroll-Jung gave details of the memorial service which will be held at Penhros College in Como at midday.

"I know that a lot of you have travelled from all around the world to take footage, as much as you can, of our ceremony for Heath.

"What we've done is we've organised, in conjunction with the police and where it is being held, for you all to have an area where you can take unfettered photos of people arriving and for that matter, mourners leaving the ceremony.

"Other than that I would just ask you if you wouldn't mind just to respect our privacy.

"There will only be ten people there, which is my immediate family and nobody else.

"That's all I really have to say. I'm sorry that, you know, we really haven't had a chance to expose ourselves for you guys but, ah, it's a pretty sad time and we're finding it difficult to cope by ourselves let alone cope with everybody around the world.

"Having said that, we do really appreciate the outpouring of and the emotional support, from all over the globe which, suffice to say, we are luckier than most families.......most families that are in our position, in our grieving position, don't receive that kind of support.

WOW!  What a statement!  He is amazing man to be able to be so eloquent and to the point in front of media, without notes - especially at this sad time.
Is there anything interesting up there in heaven?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #545 on: February 08, 2008, 11:53:32 pm »

OMG......what a wonderful man he is.....considerate and dignified......I am overwhelmed.......may he find some peace and privacy.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #546 on: February 09, 2008, 12:51:06 am »
500 mourners attended a service at Penrhos girl's school amid tight security.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2008/02/09/1202234216831.html

" Australian model Gemma Ward, actors Bryan Brown, Cate Blanchett and Noni Hazelhurst and footballer Ben Cousins were among the celebrities who arrived to farewell Ledger."

Jake was not mentioned.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 09, 2008, 01:25:08 am »

In Australia, a viewing is held prior to the funeral. It is exactly what it implies, the viewing of the deceased in the coffin, prior to interment.

After the funeral/interment of the coffin, comes the wake. The wake can take many forms from formal and dignified to highly alcoholic and out of control. It all depends on the tradition within each individual family. So-called "Irish" wakes are loud, boozy and out of control.

My family tradition is not to have a viewing (we don't have open coffins in my family tradition). After the funeral, there is a wake at the home of the next of kin of the deceased, consisting of tea, coffee, sandwiches, cake, scones, etc. It's always very dignified and respectful.

Those who hold "Irish" wakes maintain they like to send off their loved ones with a joyous party. Unfortunately, they often become so boozy that fights sometimes ensue.  :-\

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #548 on: February 09, 2008, 01:30:12 am »
wow... that is exactly the opposite of the tradition in my particular slice of English culture - wakes are always held the day or evening before a funeral, if at all, and in the last century no wake has been carried out on anyone in my family, to my knowledge.  Thanks for filling that in, Kerry!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 09, 2008, 01:36:50 am »

From Saturday's West Australian newspaper, Feb 9, "Big Crowds Gather for Ledger Memorial":

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=22&ContentID=57786
γνῶθι σεαυτόν