Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142278 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #590 on: February 09, 2008, 12:56:33 pm »
A person's ashes can be buried. I am assuming that is what is being done.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #591 on: February 09, 2008, 01:37:20 pm »
A person's ashes can be buried. I am assuming that is what is being done.

This is in fact the customary thing where I live. Cremations are common, but there's  of red tape involved in being allowed to spread the ashes in nature etc. - so that nearly never happens. The usual thing therefore is to bury the ashes at a cemetary. My family indeed has a proper "family plot" at the old town cemetary where the urns of several generations of my family members have been placed over half a century and more.

Thanks to everyone who has been posting the news items, Leslie you've given us many good links.

I think the below is my favourite picture of the day - it's good to see Michelle relaxing and smiling through tears after all the stress and strain -  throwing herself into the ocean in her dress and all.... I'm sure Heath would have thought that wake the exact right thing under the circumstances.  (BTW, it's so nice in the middle of the awfulness that Michelle seems to be so close to the Ledger family, that wasn't by any means a given... Will be good for Matilda to have both sides of her family to turn to. )

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #592 on: February 09, 2008, 01:48:20 pm »
This is in fact the customary thing where I live. Cremations are common, but there's  of red tape involved in being allowed to spread the ashes in nature etc. - so that nearly never happens.

That's the customary thing where I live, too. My dad's ashes were scattered in the Caribbean (maybe illegally, I suppose, but that's what my stepmother wanted to do). But my grandmother's were buried in a cemetery.

And on the subject of attire, I don't know if I've ever been to a funeral where everyone was wearing black. I think a colorful flowery dress might seem inappropriate. But anything neutral or subdued would be fine.

Come to think of it, I did wear a somewhat colorful dress to my dad's memorial service. But it was more like a party than a funeral -- a gathering in a restaurant he used to go to a lot, with champagne and appetizers and people taking turns speaking of him.

mvansand76

« Reply #593 on: February 09, 2008, 02:01:02 pm »
Michelle Williams Takes Ocean Plunge to Honor Heath
By Brenda Rodriguez

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20177222,00.html

Oh God, I saw the pictures of this and I had goose bumps all over, it was so incredibly beautiful to see all those people, some in their underwear, jumping in the ocean and laughing. I bet Heath would have absolutely loved that and all his friends that were there seemed to know that. What a way to celebrate his life. I am in awe.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #594 on: February 09, 2008, 02:25:36 pm »

Oh God, I saw the pictures of this and I had goose bumps all over, it was so incredibly beautiful to see all those people, some in their underwear, jumping in the ocean and laughing. I bet Heath would have absolutely loved that and all his friends that were there seemed to know that. What a way to celebrate his life. I am in awe.

There was something so loving, strong and defiant about that spontaneous ocean swim that it made me cry more than anything else in these past sad weeks.  It was more life-affirming than anything, and I'm sure Heath was right there with them.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #595 on: February 09, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
man, those Aussies sure know how to throw a funeral!  Good for them, they deserved a moment of spontaneity in this whole horrific process.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #596 on: February 09, 2008, 02:31:21 pm »
The swim in the ocean was wonderful. It was like a re-birth and baptism.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #597 on: February 09, 2008, 02:37:28 pm »
Here is a link to several news videos covering the memorial service: http://news.yahoo.com/video/2466;_ylt=AraLIKK6Ps7OH8vkg5dIcFbqChkF
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #598 on: February 09, 2008, 03:31:08 pm »
Another picture from the ocean "plunge"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #599 on: February 09, 2008, 03:34:50 pm »
TMZ has a really nice photo gallery (that's where I got the plunge picture). Here's a link:

http://photos.tmz.com/galleries/heath_ledgers_memorial_service