Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142221 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« Reply #890 on: April 26, 2008, 01:50:25 pm »
I can certainly understand how some Heath fans would find it too painful to watch this movie, but I'm not going to be able to stay away.  Kind of ironic -- I have had, and have, absolutely no interest in any of the Batman movies otherwise.

I'd be happy to see Heath get an Oscar but it won't raise my opinion of AMPAS at all -- his possible nomination will be the only reason for me to watch it next year. It's kind of reminiscent of an exchange at the beginning of Doctor Zhivago (movie version) years after Zhivago's death:

Aide: We all admire your brother [Yuri Zhivago] very much.

Evgrav: Yes, everybody seems to.  Now.

It is an all too familiar thing isn't it.Artists of all genre only really being appreciated after their death.It nauseates me. I think the classic example is Van Gogh.

I love your quote,how incredibly apt it is.Just the right balance of wit and cynicism.
If Heath did get an Oscar I would love whoever accepts it for him to stand up and use a modified version of that.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #891 on: June 16, 2008, 12:43:56 pm »
An item I ran across today, which ran on Gawker.com.

Christian Bale: 'The Joker' Did Not Kill Heath Ledger

The stress of playing one of the most legendary characters ever in one of the most hotly anticipated sequels ever didn't contribute to Heath Ledger's death in January, says the Dark Knight star. "Christian Bale has called rumours that Heath Ledger's role as The Joker contributed to his death 'ridiculous.' Ledger, who died from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs in January, was urged to seek help by crew on The Dark Knight after he reportedly became too involved in his character."

Bale rubbished the speculation in an interview with Total Film, saying: "It's not for me to tell anybody or to pretend to have insights beyond what I absolutely know, but my instincts are that the idea Heath was disturbed by playing The Joker is ridiculous.

"Heath was somebody who, like myself, acted for that immersion in a character. It's not an unusual thing. And from working with him and knowing him, I don't think that was unusual for him at all.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #892 on: July 11, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »
I also posted this link in the HHH thread, along with some accompanying pictures.  A wonderful article.

http://www.laweekly.com/film+tv/film/heath-ledgers-final-days-among-the-masses/19241/?page=1

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #893 on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:30 pm »
Consider the source when reading this.

http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/article/mary-kate-to-feds-lets-make-a-deal/115832?icid=100214839x1207082867x1200355834

Mary-Kate to Feds: Let's Make a Deal
AOL posted: 1 HOUR 28 MINUTES AGO

(Aug. 4) -- According to a report in the New York Post, Mary-Kate Olsen is refusing to talk with federal investigators about the death of 'The Dark Knight' star Heath Ledger unless she's given immunity. On the day of Ledger's death, Olsen was the first person called when her masseuse discovered the actor's body.

The Post reports that Olsen's lawyer has rejected several attempts for the former 'Full House' actress to be questioned, and that she may be subjected to a grand-jury subpoena to discuss what she knew about Ledger's life and death.

"Everyone has been very eager to help, saying what a great guy Heath Ledger was, everyone except Mary-Kate, who has refused to speak," a Post source said.

Ledger died in January due to an accidental overdose of prescription medication. His final acting role as The Joker in 'The Dark Knight' has earned him Oscar buzz, and propelled the movie to nearly $400 million in ticket sales.

Offline Fran

« Reply #894 on: August 04, 2008, 12:28:26 pm »
Again, consider the source.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/08/marykate-olsen-demands-immunity.php

ON THE DOCKET
MARY-KATE OLSEN DEMANDS IMMUNITY

Mary-Kate Olsen was never interviewed by police regarding her involvement in the death of actor Heath Ledger, despite the fact that Ledger's masseuse bizarrely alerted Olsen of Ledger's lifeless body before she called the police, and the fact that Olsen's bodyguards may have arrived at Ledger's apartment three minutes before paramedics did. Now, the New York Post reports that federal drug agents are trying to get Olsen to cooperate in their investigation into how Ledger managed to finagle a bottle of the painkiller Oxycotin—also known as "hillbilly heroin"—but that Olsen is refusing to talk unless she's granted immunity from prosecution.

Ledger, who died after accidentally overdosing on a cocktail of prescription drugs, had prescriptions for all the pills from two physicians except for the Oxycotin. One possible theory for Olsen's refusal to talk to the cops is that Ledger's masseuse called Olsen after discovering her name on the bottle of Oxycotin, prompting the diminutive actress to dispatch her bodyguards to the scene to clean up any evidence. (Olsen's people never actually called the police themselves, which doesn't particularly help her case.)

The Post has called for Olsen to be interviewed ever since the NYPD denied the paper's scoop that the former Full House star received a series of frantic calls from the masseuse. "We confirmed this story with an impeccable source inside the NYPD, and we stand by our reporting," the paper's editor Col Allan said in the aftermath, adding, "we find it odd that the chiefs at the NYPD appear to be terrified of 4-foot 11 inch, 90-pound Mary Kate Olsen." (In a separate editorial, Andrea Peyser claimed to be "astonished" that the "Teflon midget" has been given a free pass.) Given the paper's thirst for justice in this matter, is it any surprise that the feds leaked them the story? Could M-K be the victim of a vicious case of press harassment because a paper blew a scoop? Whether her refusal to talk without immunity is simply her lawyer's call, or if it's because she is actually hiding something, remains to be seen.

Offline optom3

« Reply #895 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:41 pm »
The sad fact is, no matter what is or is not uncovered/discovered, what is done can not be undone. I always found it curious that the first call was not a 911 one.
Personally I wish they would let it rest, as I fear what could be discovered may be more damaging to Heaths' reputation, as the masses once again speculate whether he was self medicating or not. For me I would rather just let him RIP.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #896 on: August 04, 2008, 05:56:02 pm »
Again, consider the source.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2008/08/marykate-olsen-demands-immunity.php

ON THE DOCKET
MARY-KATE OLSEN DEMANDS IMMUNITY

Mary-Kate Olsen was never interviewed by police regarding her involvement in the death of actor Heath Ledger, despite the fact that Ledger's masseuse bizarrely alerted Olsen of Ledger's lifeless body before she called the police, and the fact that Olsen's bodyguards may have arrived at Ledger's apartment three minutes before paramedics did. Now, the New York Post reports that federal drug agents are trying to get Olsen to cooperate in their investigation into how Ledger managed to finagle a bottle of the painkiller Oxycotin—also known as "hillbilly heroin"—but that Olsen is refusing to talk unless she's granted immunity from prosecution.

Ledger, who died after accidentally overdosing on a cocktail of prescription drugs, had prescriptions for all the pills from two physicians except for the Oxycotin. One possible theory for Olsen's refusal to talk to the cops is that Ledger's masseuse called Olsen after discovering her name on the bottle of Oxycotin, prompting the diminutive actress to dispatch her bodyguards to the scene to clean up any evidence. (Olsen's people never actually called the police themselves, which doesn't particularly help her case.)

The Post has called for Olsen to be interviewed ever since the NYPD denied the paper's scoop that the former Full House star received a series of frantic calls from the masseuse. "We confirmed this story with an impeccable source inside the NYPD, and we stand by our reporting," the paper's editor Col Allan said in the aftermath, adding, "we find it odd that the chiefs at the NYPD appear to be terrified of 4-foot 11 inch, 90-pound Mary Kate Olsen." (In a separate editorial, Andrea Peyser claimed to be "astonished" that the "Teflon midget" has been given a free pass.) Given the paper's thirst for justice in this matter, is it any surprise that the feds leaked them the story? Could M-K be the victim of a vicious case of press harassment because a paper blew a scoop? Whether her refusal to talk without immunity is simply her lawyer's call, or if it's because she is actually hiding something, remains to be seen.

I'm very glad they are pursuing this.  Always seemed odd that she wasn't talked to.  I hadn't realized people are allowed to say "No, thank you," when questioned by law enforcement.  Thanks for posting, Fran.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #897 on: August 04, 2008, 11:50:44 pm »

I just saw this article pop up in yahoo news this evening and figured it might have already made it's way to BetterMost.

I'm very glad they are pursuing this.  Always seemed odd that she wasn't talked to.  I hadn't realized people are allowed to say "No, thank you," when questioned by law enforcement.  Thanks for posting, Fran.

I totally agree Elle... I feel like there are so many unanswered questions about what exactly went on.  And, she seems like someone who might have some valuable insight or at least some ideas about what the circumstances really were.  In any case, it certainly seems like the authorities have more work to do in terms of figuring out what happened to Heath.  Not only with Mary-Kate but with doctors who may or may not have been prescribing things recklessly, etc.
:(

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sandy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #898 on: August 05, 2008, 06:57:21 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7542260.stm

I don't want answers for me, I just want to know that full and detailed investigations have been made.  Even if the outcome of those are not made public, at least we can be satisfied that an answer was found.  I don't think it can be right that someone can withhold potentially important information in this type of investigation.  Whilst I don't invite responses to this (for fear of trouble), it begs the question of why would she need immunity.

Offline Fran

« Reply #899 on: August 05, 2008, 10:14:15 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7542260.stm
I don't want answers for me, I just want to know that full and detailed investigations have been made.  Even if the outcome of those are not made public, at least we can be satisfied that an answer was found.  I don't think it can be right that someone can withhold potentially important information in this type of investigation.  Whilst I don't invite responses to this (for fear of trouble), it begs the question of why would she need immunity.

My thoughts exactly, Sandy.

I think she should have been questioned months ago, even if the New York City police had to do it in California.