Author Topic: Major Developments Update: Last updated 2/8/08  (Read 32985 times)

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Major Developments Update: Last updated 1/27/08
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:48 pm »
This is not necessarily true. A reference I found (I have bolded the relevant parts, just to make it easier for those on this site who are not used to reading medical abstracts):

Med J Aust. 2004 Feb 2;180(3):110-2.

Causes of sudden cardiac death in young Australians.

Doolan A, Langlois N, Semsarian C.

Agnes Ginges Centre for Molecular Cardiology, Centenary Institute, Newtown, NSW.

OBJECTIVES: To determine the causes of sudden cardiac death in people aged 35 years or younger. DESIGN AND SETTING: A review of all autopsies erformed between 1 January 1994 and 31 December 2002 at a major Sydney forensic medicine department serving an area with over 2 million people. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Incidence of various types of cardiac disease causing sudden death in those aged <or= 35 years; proportion of deaths in which no cause was found at autopsy.
RESULTS: There were 10 199 autopsies performed during the study period. Of these, 2986 (29.2%) deaths occurred in people aged <or= 35 years; 193 were classified as sudden cardiac deaths. The cause of sudden death in this group was not established in 60 (31%), and was presumed to be due to primary arrhythmogenic disorders. Coronary artery disease occurred in 46 (24%), hypertrophic cardiomyopathy/unexplained left ventricular hypertrophy in 29 (15%), and myocarditis in 23 (12%).
CONCLUSIONS: Unexplained deaths, presumed to result from sudden primary arrhythmogenic causes, occur in young Australians with structurally normal hearts. That underlying disease-causing genetic defects may be involved has clinical implications for family members.

I won't overdo you with studies but I found others that seem to have the same ~30% finding. So there is a very real possibility that Heath died of a lethal cardiac arrhythmia not associated with a structural cardiac abnormality, thus not being seen on autopsy.

L

Arrhythmogenic disease is not as easily found as a more standard "heart attack" but it is determinable via autopsy if the heart is examined closely. No question.

however, the initial flurry of media-based diagnoses and police reports promoting a drug related death may have caused the patholigist to not look as closely and deeply as he should have. And who knows who does the posts for a DOAs in a morgue like NYC? Perhaps not the best. It was performed much faster than had origianlly been forecast and the inconclusive findings, followed by the immediate release of Heath to the funeral home, may result in unaswered questions forever.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »
A much kinder-worded article about Heath seeking to reconcile with Michelle.  It could all be speculation and "sources" but it is somewhat easier to read than lapdancers snorting coke at hotels.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/article_272618556.shtml
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Verona

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Ain't never enough time... never enough."
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2008, 06:54:31 pm »
Yikes, Louise... even that sentence was hard to read!  :P

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2008, 09:03:53 pm »
I just finished watching "The Insider" and "Entertainment Tonight," and they're busily digging up any dirt they can on Heath's partying and drug use.  They described a cocaine party he went to at the Chateau Marmont after the SAG Awards two years ago, of which there is supposedly a video.  They also implied that Michelle wanted him to get tested for drugs before letting him see Matilda.  They promised for tomorrow some sort of theory on what caused his death and were eagerly anticipating the toxicology results.  So distasteful and ugly!  It makes me so sad for his family.  :(  :(  :(

Another thing of interest: they showed a picture of Heath's father supposedly taken today at the airport, saying he was back to talk to officials about the inquest.  I thought he was on his way to Australia yesterday.  They said that the funeral was expected to be Thursday or Friday in Perth.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2008, 09:13:22 pm »

Yeah, Meryl, reports like that really are infuriating and just so disrespectful.

I saw on E!News tonight that Heath's Dad was in NYC today, which is causing some confusion (according to E!) about the timing of Heath's funeral.  I really have no idea what's reliable and what's not at this point. 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
I'm not surprised, though certainly saddened. This follows the anticipated cycle, it's the yin/yang of tabloidism: If news coverage has been respectful and decent and have been mainly including grief, tributes and accolades for a couple of days (which it has been now, with DD_L's comments and various other stories, obituaries and lovley "in memoriam" articles) - then it's time to tear the icon down and dig up some dirt. Though it's especially distasteful that they can't even wait till he's been buried. Bastards.  >:(

The fact that I've been so much expecting the sleaze makes it easier to take, in a way. Though barely so, as I admit I threw a tantrum over some similar stupid story in another thread.  ::)

I suppose it's safe to assume the truth - as always - lies somewhere inbetween the total glorification and the crass vilifying. But we'll  never know where, and I wish the "news" would leave well enough alone. It doesn't matter to the world at large what Heath did in his private life. Nobody's business but his and his immediate family's and friends'.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2008, 02:02:42 am »
Heath's father was at 421 Broome St. today, apparently.  I forget where I just read it.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2008, 02:18:56 am »
Theresa, who is the former admin of Heath Ledger Central, and became a personal friend of Heath's, posted today that funeral arrangements have been made, but that since the family has not announced them, she could not share the details.

If you are interested to see a comprehensive set of selected news reports and tributes that Theresa is assembling, it is frequently updated and excellent.

http://heathledgermemorialblog.blogspot.com/

and yes, multiple news sources in New York reported that Kim Ledger went to Heath's SoHo apartment, and one of them mentioned that he is waiting in New York to meet with the medical examiner.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:57 am »
Heath's father was at 421 Broome St. today, apparently.  I forget where I just read it.

It was first reported in the New York Daily News.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2008, 08:17:45 am »
Theresa, who is the former admin of Heath Ledger Central, and became a personal friend of Heath's, posted today that funeral arrangements have been made, but that since the family has not announced them, she could not share the details.

If she knows the details, but can't share them, then why is she posting that she knows the details, but can't share them? Just shut up already!

Jeeesh.

(Anger phase of grieving returning...)

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!