Author Topic: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...  (Read 380859 times)

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
Re: Heath Ledger Tributes and Obituaries...
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2008, 02:28:39 pm »
December 5, 2008 --

THE rental listing of the SoHo apartment where Heath Ledger accidentally overdosed has been pulled without a taker willing to cough up $26,000 per month. The Post's Braden Keil reports the three-bedroom loft at 419 Broome St., which was officially relisted in late July after Ledger died there last January, couldn't attract a tenant - most likely because of its spooky provenance and a cooling high-end rental market. 4,400-square-foot pad is "temporarily off the market."
Sometimes I miss you so much,I can hardly stand it

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2008, 02:33:13 pm »
That's funny!  Is that out on the stands now, or am I too late?

I don't know!  I got it at the airport, around Thanksgiving.  So it's either still on stands, or one issue back.  The cover has Alfred E. Neuman in the Red/Light blue/Navy Barak Obama motif.
 8)

(You can order back issues from MAD, I believe. You can get the one with the Brokeback Mountain satire while you're at it!)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2008, 03:07:54 pm »
I don't know!  I got it at the airport, around Thanksgiving.  So it's either still on stands, or one issue back.  The cover has Alfred E. Neuman in the Red/Light blue/Navy Barak Obama motif.
 8)

(You can order back issues from MAD, I believe. You can get the one with the Brokeback Mountain satire while you're at it!)

Good idea!  Thanks, Laura.  :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2008, 06:40:34 pm »
Meet Scott Campbell
December 3, 2008 on 4:03 pm | In -Yale Breslin, Art, Other-NewMedia |
Scott Campbell, a Brooklyn based tattoo artist, recently compiled some of his archived work (both past and present) to create a book of his accomplishments to date. With the help of friend Terry Richardson (who managed to shoot some of his subjects and their ink) - Campbells book will consist of a working collective of his career, thus far. By lending his craft to the skin of Marc Jacobs and Heath Ledger, Campbell provided me with 2 never before seen shots of Ledger himself showcasing his recent body art. For an in-depth Q+A….read below.

(Scott Campbell in his studio. Photo by Todd Selby)

You recently collaborated with photographer Terry Richardson to showcase individuals such as Lily Cole and Marc Jacobs whose bodies you have inked. How did this collaboration come about?
For the past 6 months, I’ve been pulling together images of my work for a book I’m putting out. Everything from tattoos and drawings for tattoos, to paintings and sculptures. I feel like when people talk about tattoos, they often refer to their permanence, but as an artist, tattooing can be a frustratingly ephemeral medium. I’ve been tattooing for 11 years, and of the thousands of tattoos I’ve done in that time, all I really have to show for it is a handful of poorly lit photos of body parts, and some amusing anecdotes. In order to have some more substantial documentation of my work, I organized a photo shoot at the studio, and Terry agreed to take photos. I’ve been a fan of Terry’s work for a long time, and I’m honored that he was interested in taking pictures for it.

Tell us a little bit about Saved Tattoo. What does it mean to you?
It’s funny, a lot of people assume that “Saved” carries religious connotations, which I don’t really mind. I’m not religious at all, but i grew up in the south around bible beating Baptists, and rattlesnake wielding Pentecostals, so I see a certain nostalgic romance in the association. But really, Saved Tattoo just came from a few friends trying to find a way to put food on the table, without having to sacrifice our dreams. Hence, we were “saved” from having to get real jobs.

How did you get involved in the art of tattooing? What differences do you see in the ways of expressing ones self through the art of tattoo vs other mediums?
I love tattooing. Most of my clients inspire the hell out of me. It’s always a satisfying moment when you decide that a painting or drawing is finished and you get to lean back and look at it and consider how you feel about it. It’s a whole different thing when your work jumps out of the chair with tears flowing, and hugs you with all it’s might, thanking you for what you’ve done. It’s pretty amazing. The emotional exchange between a tattooer and client can at times be exhausting, but I am constantly inspired by the people I tattoo. Every client is a different story. A new girlfriends name wrapped around a rose, a picture of a smoking pipe with “Pappy” underneath. The awkward dorky guy who pushes up his glasses and unbuttons his shirt to reveal a giant snarling wolf head staring back at you. Tattooing is a true folk art. As a medium, it did not evolve because of aspirations of artistic integrity, it evolved as a craft because people had a visceral need to assert control over their physical being. Maybe it’s borneo tribesmen getting tattooed as a rite of passage into manhood, and their society recognizes that they earned those tattoos, and they pay him the respect that they command. Or a a 16 year old kid in a garage who hand-pokes the Misfit skull into his arm because with all the severity of adolescence weighing upon him, he found truth in a punk band. As an artist, tattooing is an amazing medium because whatever the image or message, the emotion that the tattoo carries is amplified by knowing that that image is a part of someone. It is a part of a larger story. When working in other mediums, I only hope that the grit and romance of tattooing carries over. I’ve carved little stories into the skin of thousands of people. Whether it’s with needles or brushes, it’s always about storytelling. These hands don’t know how to do much else.

Most memorable inking experience to date?
There’s no way I could ever crown one tattoo experience as the most memorable. There are so many stories that are are precious to me for different reasons. Some were sweet and endearing, others we’re horrifying, and I’m glad to have survived them. I covered up a tattoo that a Russian soldier received against his will in an underground prison cell 30 years ago, after being captured by Afghani soldiers. He had never showed that tattoo to anyone other than his wife and I. I had a cracked out tweeker storm into the shop and try to slit my throat because he thought I had put subliminal penis’s in his tattoo. I’ve tattooed supermodels and Hells Angels. I’ve been humbled by the honor of tattooing memorial tattoos on Heath Ledger’s mother, father and sisters at his house the night before his memorial services. I’ve sat in a shop in Ibiza on an August afternoon tattooing an endless line of sunburnt and drunk English tourists….. to even mention these stories without elaborating is almost an injustice…. how many pages do you have for this interview?

Approximately, how many different tattoos have you given during your career?
Wow, I don’t know how I would calculate that…. I’ve tried to estimate at a number…. 3 to 5 tattoos a day… 6 days a week for 10 years….. minus a few days for travelling…. I think a more accurate measure would be all the weird bumps on my knuckles and callouses on my hands from so many hours of holding that machine… or the spot on the bottom of the steel machine that’s been worn smooth by years of rubbing against the top of my hand… those say more than a number.

You are cited as being the official tattoo artist of Marc Jacobs, an individual recognized for his fashion career as well as his unique choice of tattoos. Is it a collaborative effort working with him? What’s the experience like from idea formulation to ink execution?
Ha! I wouldnt call myself his “official” tattoo artist. You could say that I’ve done most of Marc’s tattoos, and I am certainly honored that he places such confidence in me, but I think part of what makes Marc such a powerful creative force, is how comprehensive and open his tastes are. I don’t think he would ever have an “official” anything. What continually impresses me about Marc is his ability to approach anything; a painting, a pair of shoes, a photograph, a tattoo, even people he meets, completely objectively, and without any pre-judgements. He will look at something, take it in, and give a sincere emotional reaction to it. It sounds like such a simple thing, but it’s so rare to find people that have the energy to see things like he does. With as much stimulus as the world throws at us, it’s so easy to get lazy and start categorizing things and forming generalized opinions. It’s exhausting to give everything we experience such thorough consideration, untainted by judgement. I’ve learned a lot about an artists responsibility to be honest. Even if it’s impossible, we are obligated to try to give everything our untainted consideration. Even artistic works that one might consider distasteful are valid, because it is someone’s voice, and the uniqueness of each persons voice deserves an honest audience. I’ve seen paintings that I dislike so much that I can’t even look at them. Although I would never hang it in my house, I still have to respect the fact that the artist, deliberately or accidentaly, succeeded in smearing pigment on a piece of paper, and pulling an emotional reaction out of me with it. I might not like the painting, but the fact that the image has the power to incite emotion is amazing, and there is still something for me to learn about myself from that painting.

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #294 on: December 08, 2008, 09:49:19 am »
Heath won the AFI awards for International film actor. There were no other contenders. His dad, mom and sister Kate were there to accept the award on behalf of both Heath and for his daughter Matilda

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xEekfmSdFfs

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...5014152,00.html

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #295 on: December 09, 2008, 12:10:32 pm »
Heath Ledger wins top Aussie film award for 'The Dark Knight'
(old news from a different source, with video)
http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/12/heath-ledger-wi.html

Heath Ledger scores first big win of Oscar season
(Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association awarded Heath Best Supporting Actor for Joker)
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2008-12/09/content_7285775.htm

Surge of money for Heath Ledger Oscar
(Online betting has money on Heath winning at about two to one odds)
- not sure if this is appropriate, so moderators, please delete if necessary -
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=688346

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #296 on: December 10, 2008, 07:49:47 pm »
Heath has been nominated for the Critics Choice Awards. They will air Jan 8th 2009 on VH1

http://theenvelope.latimes.com/news/env-2009-critics-choice-awards-list-dec9-html,0,4480931.htmlstory

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #297 on: December 10, 2008, 07:50:30 pm »
Award for Ledger’s Dark Knight role
10th December 2008, 9:15 WST

Australian actor Heath Ledger has received a second posthumous award today, as the Los Angeles Film Critics Association honoured his performance in the Batman blockbuster, The Dark Knight.If Ledger is honoured at February’s Academy Awards, he would be the second posthumous Oscar-winner after Peter Finch, who triumphed in 1976 for his iconic role in Network.

LOS ANGELES
AFP

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=5&ContentID=112474

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #298 on: December 11, 2008, 06:24:37 pm »
Heath has earned a Golden Globe nomination for his role as the Joker, nominations released this monring. Smiley

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Nominees:Tom Cruise for Tropic Thunder (2008)

Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder (2008)

Ralph Fiennes for The Duchess (2008)

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt (2008)

Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)

Offline Love

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Jack,I Swear...
    • Brokeback Mountain
« Reply #299 on: December 12, 2008, 07:28:48 pm »
Ledger trumps Obama in Google searches
11th December 2008, 8:15 WST

Late Australian actor Heath Ledger was among the most searched subjects worldwide on Google in 2008, and was ahead of Obama in a global list, the company said.

In a list of Google's "fastest-rising" searches, Ledger, who died in January, came in in fifth place on the global list. He was one place ahead of "Obama", as in US president-elect Barack Obama.

The list was headed, however, by defeated Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

Second was "Beijing Olympics 2008", followed by "Facebook login" and "Tuenti", a Spanish social networking website.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=5&ContentID=112630